Steel City Sparks

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by houndguy, Feb 7, 2004.

1. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I contacted the newest entry of the WPSL and found out that they are looking for feedback from the fans of the game.

Not just about the website or the games, but how they can make the experence better for all parties involved.

Finally, an ownership group that wants our opinions. Good, bad or indifferent.

Contact information is on the website, www.steelcitysparks.com

2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. Well, hard to think of, sight unseen. My main gripe with SDWFC was that they had absolutely no merchandise. I hope this team at least has t-shirts, maybe. Seems like a team would actually want to do that to raise funds, etc.

I'll be extremely curious to see their venue. I was under the impresssion that it's indoor, but of outdoor dimensions. Sounds interesting.

3. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    The first practice and such is this weekend. Check out the website for more info.

4. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, they're doing one way down in Harmarville?

Incidentally, the New Castle Location of the matches gets me wondering: the PDL (and I assume the W-League) has a rule that I think no more than 5 players can come from a single college. Is there a similar rule in the WPSL? Makes me wonder what our team will wind up looking like. Hopefully a CMUer or two, pretty please? I reckon there'll be some variety, as YSU isn't that far up and over.

5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having a couple of players from the Rock. They had a couple of D2 All Americans this past season. Also I hope they can get Meghan Schnur an alum of nearby Butler HS. She was a freshman this year at UConn and was Big East freshman/newcomer of the year for soccer.

Also the 4 person rule from the same college team stems from a NCAA rule.

6. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I've written match reports for www.a-league.com in the past covering the Hounds, I'm planning on covering the Sparks as well. The reports can be found here:

http://www.emayhem.com/profiles/profile.php?profile=662

Their's even an e-mail update option.

*WARNING* - this site will also contain other works of fiction, some of which may not be suitable for children.

7. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    I think Meghan is staying in CT and playing with New England.

8. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is correct. :(

9. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Although Meghan is on the New England Mutiny roster, her team will be in Pittsburgh for games on June 5 and 6. They will play the Steel City Sparks on June 5 at 7 PM at Plum High School and then will play FC Indiana on May 6 as part of a double header - FC Indiana will play exhibition games with New England and Steel City.

10. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    I think that several players will be from WUSA and more will be recent graduates, so I don't think the college rule will have a major impact. I was at the tryouts today and saw at least one player with a WVU bag and a few had Duequesne t-shirts and at least one was a SRU graduate. I suspect many of the players will already have graduated. There were several players who are graduating college this year, so the team may be a bit older than you think, and will not be greatly affected by the college rule.

11. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Not only are many of the players out of college already, several players are playing outside of the area. Included in those trying out were local players who play at Miami (Fl), NC State, Virginia Commonwealth, and James Madison.

12. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    I think that many of the Steel City Sparks players either are graduating this year or have already graduated. I think that the school best represented in the starting line-up will be graduates of WVU. Many schools outside of the Pittsburgh area will also be represented, including Miami (Fl), NC State, Michigan, James Madison, Virginia Commonwealth, University of Richmond, Ashland University.

13. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    The Sparks have put up a partial roster

http://www.steelcitysparks.com/

They do have 5 players from WVU, but I believe most are graduating this year, so they would not be affected by the NCAA rule (their college eligibility ended May 1). A high percentage of the players on the partial list are finished with college. Most of those still in college are on the reserve team, but those players also come from several colleges.

14. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
  15. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    This Saturday's game between the Steel City Sparks and Maryland Pepsi Pride is the WPSL game of the week

http://www.wpsl.info/

16. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    The Pittsburgh Post Gazette has a review of the Steel City Sparks and schedule

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04140/318556.stm

17. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Some of the players from Westmoreland County are profiled in today's Tribune Review

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_195201.html

18. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    WPSL has updated the Steel City Sparks Home Page to include a complete roster

http://www.wpsl.info/sparks.html

19. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Here's the complete Sparks roster from the opening day program

0 Blind Allyn SRU
    0 Cox Megan Richmond
    0 Haire Mellisa WVU
    0 Niman Emily PWSI Eclipse
    0 Schneider Erika PSU
    1 Schumacher-Hodge Mandela NC State
    2 Biddle Courtney Mississippi
    3 Arsenault Sarah SRU
    4 Barnes Katie Cyberrays
    5 Abbott Chrissie WVU
    6 Tekotte Jamie Edinboro
    7 Stoia Lisa WVU
    8 McKasson Erin Lockhaven
    9 Agredano Netta Pitt
    10 Gantz Blair SRU
    11 Kruze Rachel Charge
    12 Holmes Caitlin Duquesne
    13 Ducharne Naomi Akron
    14 Duracky Katie Akron
    14 O'Connor Ashley Long Island
    15 Artuso Sarah Akron
    16 Benacci Chery Ohio Premier
    17 Coleman Rianna CUP
    18 Riggins Kambria WVU
    19 Bracco Lauren Duquesne
    20 Dybvig Meghan Purdue
    21 Stimmel Dana Duquesne
    22 Weimer Ashley WVU
    23 Kohlmyer Lesley Wheeling Jesuit
    25 Knauss Tara NC State
    26 Bartkus Nicole Cleveland Eclipse
    27 Harper Jaclyn NC State
    28 Cocchi Natalie WVU
    29 Richards Rebecca Ashland
    30 Utchel Tara Bucknell
    31 Safran Nicole Miami (FL)
    33 Burgess Stephanie Beadling
    34 Woods Katelyn Loyola (MD)
    35 Zanti Lisa WVU
    40 Lowry Annie North Stars
    41 Oldenburg Stacey Edinboro
    45 Crumpton Abby Beat
    57 Kane Laura WVU

20. sparklers

sparklers New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    The Sparks' youger keeper, Emily Niman, should be able to give Erik a scouting report on the Washington Freedom because she will be at the Freedom's game with the Northen Virginia Majestics on Wednesday in VA.