STC: Random Azz Sheet - Part 4

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird.

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
  3. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Tobias C and TKyle repped this.
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I took a couple of nephews to Cedar Point one time. We're from SW Ohio and usually go to Kings Island. They were impressed when I pointed out to them that the Top Thrill went up higher than the Eiffel Tower at KI.

5. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, yes and no...whatever "retired" means in this case. Mantis and Mean Streak were also "retired."

Will they totally tear it down and start fresh? I doubt it.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    All are great rides but the best is Blue Streak.

Tobias C repped this.
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I doubt they will leave it standing. The article uses the word "reimagine" multiple times but I have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

Tobias C repped this.
  8. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet it's done-done.

Mantis was a type of roller coaster where its manufacturer (Bolliger & Mabillard) could easily swap out its style of trains from stand up one's to the floorless style because they can run on that companies same style of track.

With Mean Streak, theres a company called Rocky Mountain Construction that specializes in re-tracking wooden coasters with steel track while being able to retain the wooden support structure. As a large ride that was rather rough and not very popular given how big of an attraction that size of roller coaster should be....Mean Streak was a good candidate for this kind of conversion. RMC has done this type of wood to steel conversion on several different older wood coasters.

Dragster is such a specific type of ride that doesn't really allow for much reworking into something new. It doesn't have a particularly large footprint seeing as it had a simple layout so it's hard to see something massive replacing it. About the only thing I could see being worth saving might be the station....if whatever replaces Dragster decides to pay homage by keeping some part of it.

9. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of roller coasters?

CybrSlydr repped this.
  10. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a YouTube video last week where a roller coaster fan was hypothesizing that with Cedar Point moving those two smaller rides over to the area by the new boardwalk that they'll tear down Dragster for a new "spinning coaster" similar to those Crazy Mouse rides you see at fairs. Obviously, this would be longer and taller, but the same concept where the individual cars spin in circles while completing the track.

AFAIK, Ohio doesn't have a tilt coaster and I'm not sure Cedar Point has the space for one. (Where you're 200 feet up when the train stops. The track tilts 90 degrees, locks into vertical track and then the train gets released.)

Tobias C and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  11. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For myself... I was a roller coaster enthusiast (nerd) when i was a kid. I drifted away from all of that in my adult years but there's still some residual knowledge lingering and I also still play the old school Roller Coaster Tycoon game, after like 20 some years!

TKyle and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  12. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like that might be a little close to infringing on Valrayvns vibe, especially so soon, chronologically.

If i allow myself to play real life roller coaster tycoon with Cedar Point....my personal wish list for Cedar Point is a flying coaster (like Tatsu at Six Flags Magic Mountain or Manta at Sea World) and a nice new authentic wood coaster. I also recognize there's barely any room so they need to expand into the parking lots, move parking to the mainland, and shuttle some people to the park via charming steamboat ferries from Downtown Sandusky and the majority of people with a monorail from a main parking center on the east side of town around Castaway Bay. Thank you :coffee:

13. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1188 Kryptonite, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    True.

How many wood coasters do they have? Mine Ride and Steel Vengeance come to mind, even though the second has a steel track. (Edit: How could I forget Blue Streak?)

I wonder what types of advancements have been made in the last 20 or so years. Then again, it's way too soon to try another looping wood coaster... Steel Vengeance is probably as close as Ohio will come for quite some time. I'm sure you remember the loop in Son of Beast wasn't removed as a direct result of what happened, but only as a byproduct of the trains being changed.

A monorail would definitely put Sandusky on the map. Just ask Brockway, Ogdenville or North Haverbrook.

You're probably on to something though. If they could do mainland parking, while keeping "on-site" for premium, season pass members and ADA parking, it'd definitely give them more land to work with. They've certainly removed a lot lately (Disaster Transport, Power Tower, the classic car ride, Wicked Twister, WildCat and some I know I'm forgetting), but it's still a minor miracle they keep adding stuff without running out of room.

14. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on what your considering an actual wood coaster.....usually the steel track is a disqualifier. I think Blue Streak is the only true one we have. Steel Vengeance, Gemini, and Mine Ride are all steel tracks.

I'm not really up on the newest advancements and technologies, especially in the past decade or so. A spinning wild mouse would be a good moderate size addition so I could get behind that. As far as big attractions go....I don't know. Maybe go after breaking another record again, lol.

Monorail definitely wouldn't be cheap. Probably talking easily 9 figures if I had to guess. Maybe it would be worth it if it gives the park the ability to grow for decades further though.

15. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about an indoor ride, although where would it go? Disaster Transport definitely had issues, especially in the later years, but it was always a fun place to escape the heat while riding a coaster.

Hot take: Take one of the sides of Gemini and flip the trains like what Kings Island's Racer used to be...or is it not possible? Racer is way more straight with the "out and back" format. Gemini has a lot of curves and hills.

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God save the King.

17. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He ain't no human being.

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Ew.

19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK so Chuck is a worthless dim witted dork who dumped the hot chick to marry a Rottweiler, and literally no one likes him. Everybody gets it.

But he being king means they're just a heartbeat away from handing the throne to a nice normal guy married to a terrific broad.

And Lizzie wasn't ever going to live forever.

Maybe the sex pistols will update God Save the Queen.

20. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sid was the maitre d' at the gates of hell.

Bill Archer repped this.
  21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's the silver lining.

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I think Johnny is still around.

The king is gone
    but he's not forgotten...

better to burn out
    than it is to rust

TKyle repped this.
  23. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah...Johnny isn't the Johnny from the 70s. He is probably sending his T's & P's

Bill Archer repped this.
  24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1199 Bill Archer, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    I suppose theres a chance some moistened bint will throw a scimitar at Charles and William will intercept it.

jairadballerina, kgilbert78 and Timon19 repped this.
  25. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the people, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.