STC: Random Azz Sheet - Part 4

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Jun 14, 2019.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #827 Kryptonite, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    There were all sorts of warnings and signs that told the game was sold out, yet some people chose to remain at the tailgates like it was a mid-season game vs KC that may have gotten closer to 15k fans.

The same number of gates were open, but there definitely were fewer workers at each gate.

I *do* remember people suggesting that the rarely-used Nordecke Entrance (Gate 7) or the vehicle entrance (Gate 3) could have been opened. In reality, diverting staff to other gates wouldn't have done anything.

Given the circumstances, just about the only thing that could have made a difference would have been to open the gates 30 minutes earlier. This...is the critical failure here. Likewise, you have some sort of promotion to get people in earlier. Of course, he didn't believe in promotions because, as said then, he didn't want to "devalue the product." As we know now, that was all sabotage.

3. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    I do not recall all gates being open. I recall many of the front gates not being open because I thought it was ridiculous once I noticed the insane lines.

It's also important to remember that the game was on a Tuesday night. You can say people should have arrived 60 or 90 minutes early or whatever, but that's simply not possible for most people for a midweek game.

Also, the Toronto game occurred on November 21st. I don't know anyone who goes trick-or-treating that close to Thanksgiving.

The fact is, 21k people showed up for the game. The FO knew it but only managed to muster up a measly email telling people to get their earlier. They could have opened more gates. They could have come up with a more efficient security plan. But they didn't and it was a disaster.

4. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just remember there being no Cops Directing Traffic and not working the Lights, I always saw a cop in his car with the traffic light control on 17 ave and there was nobody there for the TLC game and I remember saying to my wife we better get in early.

Also episode 2 just dropped

Kryptonite repped this.
  5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #830 Kryptonite, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    When I say "gates" I mean what the FO/stadium maps generally refer to as "gates."

Gate 4: South of the Huntington Club, Heineken Lounge, Upper 90, whatever it was called through the years.

Gate 5: South of the office/team shop.

Gate 6: South of the tent.

Were fans allowed to go in any of those gates?
    Were those gates fully opened to max capacity?
    Think of the metal rails where the employees stood and scanned tickets. Were fans allowed to walk past every single one of those, or were some closed off?

It seems like there could be some semantics at play here.

You're not wrong, but it definitely could have helped. Those who could have gone in earlier might have, thus lessening the strain later on.

I got my games confused there for a moment while trying to keep tabs on other things around me. After 20+ years of Crew games, they all sort of blur together, especially the ones from 2017/2018...a LOT obviously happened on and off the field during that time.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what we did--and part of the reason why. But part of that was our normal practice due to years of attending college football at large stadia (at least 3 different ones with over 100K capacities). We had an experience in the early 1990s where we missed the first half of a game due to such issues (traffic in this case).

7. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    As far as I recall, the main gates on the south end were not open to max capacity. That's my point. They could have had more lines operating at those gates.

Yes, it could have helped. But the FO did a horrible job of making people aware of the impending delays. The email they sent didn't go out until the morning of the game, and it wasn't even an email specifically telling people to arrive early. It just looked like a generic email they would spam you with on ever match day. I had no idea about the need to arrive early until I saw something on Twitter a couple hours before the game. By that point it was too late to change my plans around because it was the middle of the week and I was coordinating with others who were also dealing with getting off work and whatnot.

Here is screenshot of the email that was sent out.

[​IMG]

Kryptonite repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they needed to pat down each and every attendee because........?

Plus, as I recall a female could refuse to be felt up by a he/him and theyd fetch the one female (self identifying) security person to grope her while everyone else waited.

And I distinctly remember that they only had one or two guys doing it. I remember feeling sorry for the guy on our side of the stadium, who was working his ass off, sweating like a slave, trying to get people in, patting down thousands of people.

You can believe it wasn't intentional.if you want.

And some of you have painfully short memories; I recall showing up at the first game post-sale and being shocked that every single gate was open. I'd never seen it before.

They even, briefly, had a guy on a podium out front of the gates greeting people. It was such a shock. They actually wanted you there.

stanger, Sagz, patricksp and 2 others repped this.
  9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. What percentage of the attendance that night was "plugged in" to social media and knew? How many people thought they could have casually approached the lot 90 minutes before, thinking "oh, it's sold out, but the necessary arrangements have been made."

They should have put out a separate email with an attention-grabbing headline and done it a few days in advance. "This game is expected to sell out. There will be additional security measures. Please plan on arriving to your seat early. In order to encourage early arrivals, there will be $5 beer in the stadium club, concluding 15 minutes before kickoff. Gates will open 90 minutes before kickoff."

Just those five sentences could have meant a huge difference.

soccerncbus repped this.
  10. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I remember waiting in line with my (at the time) 6 year old daughter. We were "early" but still waiting a good amount for security. When we got to the front of the line, I was informed that the male security guard could not pat down my daughter and we would have to wait in line for the female security guard. This female was working the next line over and was literally 5 feet from us but we were asked to go all the way back in line (which had gotten very long) because the female guard couldn't let her "cut". I was about to express my very loud displeasure when thankfully some kind female Crew fan in the line next to me "adopted" my daughter for a few moments so she could be checked to make sure she wasn't carrying any contraband into HCS.

You can't make this stuff up...

Sagz, Bill Archer and soccerncbus repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be hard to do now. Folks are having a hard time hiring.

12. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Not including stuff about Lamar vs Columbus and the NYCFC game are the most disappointing parts of that documentary. Instead we get people complaining about security, which makes crew fans look like conspiracy theorists.

soccerncbus repped this.
  13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the world of lawsuits. All it takes is one guy to pat down a woman, she takes it the wrong way and all hell breaks lose. It's the same reason why cops have to radio for a female officer before putting anyone in the car. Some "goody two shoes" looks over, sees a 35 year old guy with the back of his hand inches away from a young girl's waist area, screams "PERVERT!" or "You are being recorded for your safety, young child" and it goes downhill from there.

There's times when it sucks, but it's life in the modern era.

The part about not letting her cut is ridiculous. She waited in line just as a guy in her line did. The security officer was definitely in the wrong there.

CybrSlydr and soccerncbus repped this.
  14. boomshea

boomshea Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 22, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Episode 3 is now available.

DOGSO repped this.
  15. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Seeing the Austin bros watch the Crew/Orlando game (I believe that's the one were Trapp scored the banger) after the city council vote tells you everything you need to know about those losers.

Also, that Josh Jackson dude gives off serious creeper vibes.

16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me the problem is that there was obviously no pre set policy. The idiot security officer was free to make up whatever rule she felt like, on the spot.

And of all.the possible solutions, sending someone to the back of a 500 person line is the absolute worst.

Which in this case would be an invitation for a bunch of trouble, a lot of anger, some shouting, involving a couple cops, maybe even an arrest if there's someone like me.involved.

All completely preventable with the slightest amount of planning, which in turn would require giving a shit.

Which as we all know, they didn't

17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love everyone. All of you. Even the progs. But I repeat myself.

I played 18 at Parkersburg today with one ball.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So can John Kruk....;);)

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #844 Kryptonite, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    I hear ya.

I don't know how many times I've taken stuff into the stadium or did stuff that Crew brass approved me to do. (It was usually something related to banners or flags back when we didn't necessarily have credentials.) I'd be stopped at a gate by some bumbling CSC idiot. I'd name-drop the Crew employee's name. CSC idiot would respond with something about not knowing the Crew FO guy...and it was a high-up guy too. FWIW, it wasn't just me with these issues.

The other good one was back in the beginning of needing tickets to get into the Nordecke. I had pre-approval by the FO to show my credential, with the understanding that it be immediately pocketed upon entering. Not a problem on my part. Well, I was denied entry one time. I was just on my way out to try another entry when the head CSC guy came down and gave the bottom-feeder CSC guy the what-for.

Yeah, they're not the best.

It was a few years ago, but didn't you mention that there was a CSC executive on the MLS executive board? Both OSU and the Clippers have gone to a different security company, thanks to the new company underbidding CSC. Maybe there's hope. Then again, "underbidding" isn't exactly promising itself.

Oh and I know you remember the story of the guy with the can of snuff. I'm surprised I'm not in that photo.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had field credentials--and was told by one of the guards that I wasn't allowed there--after showing it. I decided not to argue (much) on that occasion.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So since as I understand it all banners have to be pre approved by the FO, can I assume that the Antifa flag hanging in the Nordecke has the Haslam Sports seal of approval?

soccerncbus repped this.
  22. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #847 CybrSlydr, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    We're against fascism unless we're for it.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like Europe--anti-racism is ok unless it's the Uyghurs.

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have an isue with being against racism or facism.

My issue is who it is, exactly, that gets to define what it is and isn't.

And, as happened yesterday in Portland, a group of Antifa people physically attacked a Christian religious gathering, yelling "Where's your God now?" and laughing hysterically, well, in for a dime in for a dollar.

I'll say again: on what grounds can they deny someone the right to hang a "abortion stops a beating heart" banner up there as well.

soccerncbus and CybrSlydr repped this.
  25. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it has nothing to do with facism or being against it or whatever - it's about control and inducing fear to ensure compliance.

soccerncbus and Bill Archer repped this.