Stay Tuned to FC New York

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by R0bbyB0ggio87, Aug 17, 2009.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not going to dispute that some shops might have conducted in illegal activities but not everyone in the Iron Triangle who conducts business does so illegally. There are some reputable businesses in there. It might not be the prettiest or nicest place to be but its not all illegal.

Auto Crime has that place under siege daily. They are constantly patrolling and inspecting all the junk yards. If they are doing any illegal chopping of cars it would be a miracle. The chopping of cars doesn't occur there anymore for the most part. I doubt that the rate of stolen cars will decrease when they close the shops.

The fact that they can get any part for a quickie repair isn't so much because they steal anything but rather because they have an established parts exchange network. Most of the junkyards work together and are linked via computers with their inventories.

Many yards have people (salesman) working the street to pick up customers as they drive by. As a car drives by they engage the customer and call in to see if the part is available or if they are capable of doing the repair.

The fact that you think that they are engaged in illegal activity and patronize these businesses only feeds to the frenzy that is the "junkyards"!

The Iron Triangle became what it is now, about 10-15 years ago. At that time a few prominent tenants moved out and the owners then decided to partition out their buildings. This caused more "shops" to open up. The rent was cheap (you can rent something there for as little as 1000/month) and you were close to the "junk yards" where you could get the used parts needed to repair vehicles. It was a match made in heaven, or so the shop owners thought.

As more people moved in to take advantage of the cheap rents, the market became "frenzied" and "cut throat". So now shops were selling services for close to 50% off and products at razor thin margins. So while you might have felt that you were getting over because you received a low price, it was most likely due to the market forces at the Iron Triangle than anything related to the stealing of vehicles.

2. Jaydawgg22

Jaydawgg22 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Astoria Queens NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just going off what ive been told. but you'd prob know better than I cosmos.

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ....or it could have been the mechanic telling me - "You're not a cop...right? Cash, no reciepts, and I didn't do this".;):D

I don't want to paint a broad brush, but it's clear a brush is being used in some shops...and mnay take ad of it.

4. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You got played. That's the line used to create urgency which in turn creates a feeling within the customer that they are getting a deal. It's the junk yards classic line. They all use it.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ...so I, and my best friend, both very knowledgeable about cars, saw the work done (with a used piece like we requested) for about a third of what anyone else came close to charging.

Yeah, we got played;). Thanks for the info.

If anyone is getting played here it's you when it comes to NYFC.:D

6. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well Played!! Nice Job! :D

1 person likes this.
  7. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I never said that you didn't get a bargain, obviously you did, what I'm saying to you is that you got played with the feeling of getting something cheap because it was illegal. That's how you got played. You only bought because you assumed the part was stolen and thats why you were getting a bargain. The guy at the shop preyed on your desire and corruptness and made a sale. Good for him. You still continue getting played, worst yet, looking over your shoulder for the police to come and break up the party. All the while, the shop owner is laughing all the way to the bank.

You see it has nothing to do with your or your friends knowledge about cars.

You could be right, I did believe Wilpon was going to put a team in Queens, at least I don't get played at the junkyards.

8. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Chop shops. GET IT RIGHT DAMN IT! :D ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *YAWN* so anything new? this board is getting pretty boring :rolleyes:

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. revolution1776

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It can't be dead, because it was never alive.

12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    FCNY is an abortion.

13. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No ...but ..no wait ...its coming any day now
    Bye bye FCNY will hardly knew ya

14. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a very early stage abortion. Like first week. Barely enough to even be deemed an abortion depending on who you talk to.

15. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Feck that - it was a morning after pill!

16. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Right now, FCNY doesn't have a league to play in:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/

USSF has rejected both the USL and NASL as this country's second division soccer league.

Neither league had the minimum of 8 teams.

They have 7 days to work it out.

17. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Right now FC NY isn't a club either, so they don't count.

18. ckh1

ckh1 New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Dubai
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    MLS/Garber wants a 20th team in NY?...

19. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Funny - at the FCNY function at night on April 1st I brought this up to a few at the club - saying But what if WILPON builds his stadium and I was told by some "Thats never going to happen".

20. DiamondsYank

DiamondsYank New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    NYC Metro Area
    WAAAAAAY better! I mean leaps and bounds way better than the clip-art crap they currently run with. Passing up an offer to make your crest more professional for free? It wouldn't be the first bonehead move (or lack there of) that this "organization" has done. I really wish they'd just go away quietly so that a real organization with a real game plan could step in.

21. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    15 months after their foundation the FC New York is still undefeated

22. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a true fantasy, club

23. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I bet it is hard to beat a ghost team

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted they don't have a team at the pro level. But I just noticed that they are fielding several teams in the Super Y league up to and inlcuding the U20 level. So it does seem like they are farther along then I thought they were.

25. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They are slowly building from the bottom up. Give it time.