State-UNC @ ACCs (r)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    According to matchtracker, it's 0-0 five minutes into OT.

Also, Ford Williams isn't starting in goal for UNC, the frosh is playing.

Is Williams hurt or has he been benched?

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    110 minutes, still 0-0.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    120 minutes through, still 0-0. Is this PKs os is there another OT?

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think NC State just won on PKs, 4-3.

Still trying to get confirmation....

6. KR

KR New Member

Jan 5, 2000
    shootout - looks like NCS wins the shootout - unless my math is off.

7. KR

KR New Member

Jan 5, 2000
    Big upset in the ACC, can't wait for the other results.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woohoo!

Pack beats Heels in PKs...advances to face #1 seed Maryland at 5:30 PM on Friday.

9. KinleyDog

KinleyDog New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    S'nM, i believe that williams is with the u20s.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Gonzalez saved two shots in PK, it sounds like. I KNEW he should have been All-ACC.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: Re: State-UNC @ ACCs (r)

I don't think so.

That roster hasn't been announced and it's my understanding that the players won't report to the 20s till after this weekend's games.

12. KR

KR New Member

Jan 5, 2000
    Gonzalez proved you right. He got snubbed by the ACC for individual honors. I am sure he is happier with the team result.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Does this count as a win or a tie for NC State? If it's a win, I think they just moved onto the bubble.

Man, if State somehow gets by Maryland, they're goin' to the show. How wild is that?

14. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Re: Re: State-UNC @ ACCs (r)

Williams was sitting on the bench - in uniform.

Great game if you are a State fan! Defense held up again - posting another shutout.

15. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Unfortunately it counts as a tie giving them a 9-7-2 record. I think even with the tie they should be considered a bubble team.

They have played very well during the second part of the season (7-3-2). Two ties against UNC, wins against Virginia, Clemson, and UNC-G among others.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: State-UNC @ ACCs (r)

Getting benched for the biggest game of the year is not a good sign.

Ford only played in 11 games this year and I bet that doesn't help his U20 team chances. I won't be at all surprised if Clint Baumstark, who has a year of MLS training, and one game, under his belt, beats him out.

17. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    My thoughts on this match. UNC was the better team, but State was the mentally tougher team. The Pack never flinched when Storey and Ashe and Watson were coming at them. Give credit to State's back line...they were good, and very organized. Same for Gonzalez in goal for State. Aaron King played well, and would have scored the game winner in OT if it wasn't for a nice save by Hughes.

It looked to me like UNC was playing not to lose, and they appeared to get frustrated...especially Storey and Watson. Ashe had moments of brilliance, but like most young college players, he dribbles too much and would lose possession.

I hate to see games settled by a shootout, but State deserved the win because Harrington and Fumo took really weak shots that Gonzalez had no trouble with.

18. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    Also, don't forget that State had a game cancelled against Liberty that was not rescheduled. They've played one less game than the NCAA allows. Liberty was a *sure* win. So with tonight's performance that would make them 11-7-2. Clearly good enough to get them in the show.

As to Williams and the U-20s. I'm told that Rongen is taking three keepers. I think Williams is safe there. My guess is that Bolowich was looking past the Pack and wanting to get Hughes some "serious" game experience before the big show. A rather large mistake in judgment.

GO PACK!!!!

19. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Now hold on there k1v1n, are you saying that the German Genius could have made a mistake? We all know that's simply not possible!

20. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    It could have been a questionable decision, but don't see how you can say it turned out to be a big mistake in judgement, since Hughes didn't let in any goals in regulation or overtime. You can't ask much more from a keeper than that.

Anyway, there hasn't really been much difference in UNC's results with Williams vs. with Hughes this year - in fact, I see that Hughes has a significantly better save % than Williams this year. So I wouldn't blame Bolowich for getting Hughes some post-season experience, as well as more time working with the defense.

Congrats to State on their win and their much improved season. Carolina end up at 12-3-4, which along with their tough schedule should give them a pretty good seed for the NCAA.

21. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Not a good result for the Heels, but not the end of the world.

First things first...it sucks to not go on because of PK's. It's officially a tie, but spot kicks are a necessary evil for ending the misery that was the 0-0 tie.

I wasn't at the game, but from all reports it wasn't too pretty. NCSU gets credit for getting the result...something they never would have done before this year. Forget the bubble--put them in the NCAA tournament. Maryland, Wake, UNC, and State. People who have been talking about UVA Forget about it!!-- unless they're able to win the ACC's. If they do, it will put State on the bubble but if not, put the Pack in. They beat UVa head to head and the Wahoos won't even have a winning record.

UNC will use the extra days off to get ready for the NCAA...interesting to see how they do there.

22. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    I had read that king played well. What about queeley in the back?

23. Carolina

Carolina Member

Dec 6, 2000
    CONCACAF
    Queeley played well but was having trouble with cramps late in the game.

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [smack]Soccer is just following the lead from football and basketball. NC State is starting to own UNC in most sports.[/smack]

25. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    two ties is hardly owning...and Julius Hodge and Co. better watch out for the Heels on the hardcourt this year.