Review: State of the Forum Poll - Red Bull Forum

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Thomas A Fina, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he'd said he was better than Onionsack, I'd agree. But he simply said he was different than him.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Guys - this thread isn't the place for talking about the team choices, etc.

3. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it's not. He would have to equate himself as better than someone else for it to qualify as holier than thou. He simply state where he stands, without comparison to anyone else.

Edit: Sorry for piling on. Hadn't seen Homebrews response before posting.

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    If you are characterizing opposing viewpoints as douchebaggery, than that's pretty much holier than thou - and regardless, it has the same negative effect on decent discussion no matter what you want to call it.

5. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think the term ineptitude falls into that category.

What i meant to say, is that the FO may not be the most cualified FO in the world, however, that doesn't mean that they hide they true actions or they have a hidden agenda.

6. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sorry... i didn't see Knight's post.. I agree this is not the forum to debate these things.

7. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll let viper address that category of classification on his own. I agree 100% that it does not raise the level of discussion.

8. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the term I used was douchehattery, which I derived from asshattery - a word Michael K so brilliantly brought up not too long ago. I was using it to describe another forum, not this one. My feelings are that this one really shouldn't be allowed to go the way of the other one. And yeah - opposing view point or not - "Im right, you're wrong, so you're point of view doesn't matter" is douchebaggery. Doesn't that also have a "negative effect on decent discussion no matter what you want to call it"?

So when will that Beating a Dead Horse forum become operational?

9. Zoti

Zoti Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brooklyn
    This is the best example of Viper's holier-than-thou attitude. Whenever he chimes in in a branding related discussion, which usually involves Onionsack, the first thing he does is to tell "RB haters" (only using it for simplicity's sake) is to take a hike and go to MetroFanatic where according to him douchebaggery is the norm.

Once he does that he's relentless and will repeatedly give the same advice at the end of each post followd with something snarky like "bye bye don't let the door hit you on the way out". I'm paraphrasing here.

While "RB apologists" (again using it for simplicity's sake) like Blue Note and Homebrew will take the time of the day and respond to every and each of Onionsack's arguments with well thought out arguments of their own (to the risk of boring some of us to death :rolleyes:) Viper takes a very hostile approach which only contributes to the degenaration of the topic and sometimes even name calling.

Personally I'd like the "rebranding issue" to be a sticky thread. We all know the "dead beat horse" will consist of solely this one issue so why segregate it and give it a negative connotation via the name as if we're doing something wrong by cirticising the one decision that many of us consider to be the gravest mistake by the ownership.

10. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be cool with that. "RB Apologist" eh?

Not sure 'sack would agree with you on the "well thought out arguments" bit.

11. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, what's that say right under your name now, Blue? :D Nice.

12. Zoti

Zoti Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brooklyn
    In modern times, apologists refers to authors, writers, editors of scientific logs or academic journals, and leaders known for defending the points in arguments, conflicts or positions that receive great popular scrutinies and/or are minority views.

Sorry but you guys can't appropriate "Red Bull supporter" as supporter equates fan and we're all RB fans/supporters here. And I wouldn't wanna use the disparaging "RB kool-aid drinkers" or something to that effect that someone used earlier.

As for well-thought out arguments let's just say yours are not as antagonistic as Viper's who never brings much to the table other than the dissmissive "shoe away to metrofanatic this forum is for RB supporters only".

13. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Just thought it was amusing more than anything else. FWIW I'm also the guy who started a "Fire Osorio and Agoos" Facebook group, so I can be critical of team matters when I think it's warranted. I just don't personally have any problem with the branding. I think our general historical suckitude is a much much bigger issue.

14. Zoti

Zoti Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough but by "apologists" I meant those who defend the rebranding versus the "rebranding haters" not the day-to-day running of the club. And I consider myself a "rebranding hater" until someone comes up with a better term.

Labelling people according to your owns views always helps :)

I will stop here as this is turning into another branding debate.

15. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, ha! You're equating being "snarky" with being "holier-than-thou". Good one! And that's only after being told my opinion doesn't matter. But, hey - the perspective of "RB Haters" (only using it for simplicity's sake) is different than "RB apologists" (again, using it for simplicity's sake), and I've been branded one of those. Oh, and I guess no one else has been relentless with bringing up the same crap over and over and over again here, to the point where every theread was being hijacked. I guess that's alright and in no way does that detract from pertinent conversation here.:rolleyes: Also, the point of my "shoo, shoo, go away now" dismissives is: we get it, we get it - It's three years now - we get it. You might not believe this, but it might be insulting to our collective intelligence (not to mention, highly irritating) if one brought up the same argument over and over again as if to say "don't you get it?". Yeah, let me assure you: we get it, we get it!

Of course, no one else does that (hostile approach, name calling). The perspective of "RB haters" (Again, only using it for simplicity's sake).

I can live with that also. Very good suggestion.

16. Zoti

Zoti Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Point well taken.
    I can't speak for the rest of the people but the only reason I keep bringing the rebranding issue up is to let the RBFO know how some of us feel hoping that they read these boards. I do the same thing when I get contacted by them through e-mail. I know it may tick some of you off as it may come off as whining but I strongly believe it's something that is holding this franchise back.

A sticky thread accomplishes many of the things both sides want.

17. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Forum is really good. Soimetimes people get or become too personal with their attacks on each other rather than the substance of the post but I think mods do a real good job.Based on the time of year and what the team does or does not do contributes to the interst I have in these boards. I don't even mind the trollers if they present valid points and not just be hatin on our guys.

18. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't belong in the "Expansion Draft" thread, in my opinion, but does tie into this one, so I'm headed here with it.

Which only proves that you can be positive about something about which you are also completely factually incorrect.

And now, repeating it, and stating it as fact.

Nice to imply that, in fact, you do receive (well... you "earned") preferential treatment from mods, thus effectively discrediting them too.

So, we'll see... If Onionsack is allowed to attempt to discredit me by posting absolute lies about me as fact, without being given warning, then we'll know. I assure you, he is now making absolutely false statements about me, with the only effort being to discredit my discussions on these boards. It shouldn't be acceptable.

19. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect - and I can certainly sympathize - you're just gonna have to either 1) ignore his posts (probably the best option); 2) develop a thicker skin; or 3) find another forum moderated by people more sympathetic/sensitive to your own views (though I'm not aware of any). If you think this place is bad, you should try Metrofanatic.

20. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My skin is plenty thick. My feelings aren't hurt. He can tell me I'm ignorant, my head is in the sand, I'm an apologist, whatever--it's fine. I've been called worse than stupid or ignorant in my life. But he shouldn't be allowed to state lies about someone as fact in order to discredit them. It's different than insulting someone, which is merely rude. It crosses a different line, IMO.

21. Carbonero

Carbonero Red Card

May 10, 2008
    I have earned a longer rope than most and yes you will be waiting a long time

how is this not the gayest claim ever ? :D its a stupid forum !

22. Carbonero

Carbonero Red Card

May 10, 2008
    if you don't accept the metrofanatics' viewpoint , you simply get thrown off

lol

23. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean you would be that embarrassed to be outed as a Red Bull flunkie?

There's hope for you yet!!!!!!!!

*ducks*

24. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *throws can of Red Bull at T.A.Fina*

Heh.

I have no need of being a Red Bull flunkie, although, it *has* been a pretty tough year to be a stage hand... what do you think they pay? (Thank God Tchaikovsky saw fit to make sure that every musician, dancer, and stage hand would be employed during the holidays when he wrote The Nutcracker!)

But seriously, the path that thread went down wasn't cool, and I appreciate your judicious modding. Sports fandom is irrational enough, and I prefer a place where passions run high--including angry or disappointed passions!--but when, as you said, it crosses the line from criticizing the content to criticizing, and even lying about, the poster, things need to cool down. So, thanks for addressing it.

25. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Absolutley, what is the question again? :eek:

What ever it is the answer is Red Bull GmbH sucks. :D