Startup issue

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Rima067, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    My computer starts up UNTIL windows when I have something plugged into the USB, such as external harddrive, ipod, USB hub, web camera, if these are plugged in before the startup the Windows login screen doesn't show up. As soon as I unplug them, up comes Windows! The computer starts up and shows so at the screen. it stops to show anything and becomes a blank screen once the windows login should be up.

The only thing I had no problem with that was plugged into the USB was a wireless network adapter.

Does anyone know what the issue is and if it is fixable? After 2 startups I am tired of peering my head behind my desk to unplug/plug everything at every startup.

2. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I have the exact same problem...i have an external hard drive via USB. And when i leave the power on to the Ext HD...my computer will not boot to Windows. (And my Vista system recovery comes up and takes another 5 min to reload...very annoying) I have briefly searched this subject and dont have a full solution as of yet, but i believe it has to do with the BIOS settings...check the Boot devices. ex first boot, second, third. Remove the USB boot device, and change to dvd.

But i would google it before you play around with your BIOS.

Sorry i can't help...but at least you know you're not alone.

3. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    Do you want to start comparing hardware?

eMachines. XP Home. BIOS: Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG. AMD Athlon Processor 1.1GHz

These are things I've upgraded:

Turtle Beach Riviera Wave (I had to replace the .. actually, I couldn't even tell you what I replaced, but it had to do w/ sound. I actually recall posting about the prob here)

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce FX 5500

4. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I have Emachines as well...

My specs: From Best Buy...

5. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    I don't know still. I suppose the eMachines just doesn't know where to startup from and is taking the info from whatever other drive is plugged in?

Anyone else have a similar problem w/ their eMachines?

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a BIOS setting in alot of systems that tell your computer to boot from a USB device before the CD or HardDrive. This is what you want to look for in BIOS.