Stars FC no longer: Meet Minnesota United FC

Discussion in 'Minnesota United FC' started by bullsear, Mar 5, 2013.

1. zoobawa

zoobawa Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Stop being such a sesquipedalian. Yes I just looked up that word, but seriously this isn't a Research Paper that will be published in a quarterly. I wholeheartedly agree with your argument by the way, but being pedantic right back to him isn't going to do anything other than irritate him, which is what you could be going for.

Now if anyone doesn't want to support MN United or the Loons because they are "minor-league" that's fine. I don't go to games to be blown away by the level of football I'm watching, I go because the atmosphere is awesome and its my local team.

Plus it's entirely possible now that we won't be getting an MLS team for awhile. If the Wilf's were serious about wanting an MLS team it will be a little tricky of a situation because I doubt Bill McGuire bought the team and paid to get all these players in and rebrand the club if he was just going to sell it off to Zygi once the stadium was built. So then that begs the question will Zygi pay the franchise fee if the Loons are still here? If he does will McGuire then just pack up the Loons and leave? And the Wilf's decide not to buy a Franchise the Loons can't use the new stadium for MLS until 5 years after its built, 2020 or so, unless the Wilf's / other owners either consent to it or are part owners.

So while its sweet that we now have an owner, it kind of made the whole MLS team in Minnesota a little more confusing. So don't get your hopes up anytime soon for an MLS team being here. In the meantime you can choose to support your local team or you can choose to support a Russian Billionaire and his plaything.

2. JohnA

JohnA Member

May 14, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Tottenham supporter I support both the local Minnesota United club (even if I don't go often to their games), and Chelsea in the EPL.
    I have been to London and have seen Chelsea play. An incredible experience. I hope you have had a chance to go to London and watch Tottenham play. Incredible level of soccer (football actually).

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    [​IMG]

MUFC dressed in Man City colors :)

4. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The club (and most of the supporters) are going with MNUFC for that reason. Also, we've been wearing sky blue on and off since the first days of the Thunder.

5. zoobawa

zoobawa Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Since the days of the Kicks...

although it wasn't the primary color

6. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so eager for us to get an MLS team. :D

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Kicks and then the Strikers always lead the league in attendance. I know that was 30-36 years ago but I have a feeling MN United will draw pretty good for this new NASL.

8. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Ceezmad, the Champions League is like POSTSEASON. An Astros-Cubs game least season, it looked like a AAA game too...

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well is the FA cup/Copa del Rey "Post season"?

Is seeing the champions as being similar to the cup style tournaments than the regular season tournaments.

But I do agree that they serve as some type of playoff thing to give teams that will not be champions at least something to play for.

So not a post season, since it will be played concurrently to the following season, but more like an incentive.

10. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    No, because everybody plays it. There is no qualifying requirements. On the contrary, in order to play at UCL and UEL, one has to qualify through national league or cup.

It is LIKE a postseason: in 'year one', there is the regular season; and, in 'year two', the best teams from all countries (divisions) face each other in a short tournament.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sure but they are still playing their regular seasons (and their cups) so I guess a concurrent post season. I guess the UEFA cup would be like an NIT post season (same with Copa Sud Americana)

Also it would be a post season of a post season for those leagues that have post seasons after their regular season (like most in Concacaf).

But then again the defending champions gets invited back into that "post-season" even if they are not the "best" team in their "division", so that makes it a bit weird of a post season.

gremio1903 repped this.
  12. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre

Yes, it is as weird as classifying soccer leagues as Major, AAA, AA, A, B, ZZZ... However, even if you do, the Champions League cannot be part of such arrangement: it is a completely different animal.

13. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    By the way, on the topic, I loved everything: the name, the logo, the color scheme, the shirts. Great job! Although, I also enjoyed the previous one.
    Well, the guy is the new owner and wanted to start fresh. If you take this route, it is better to do it right. And he did!

14. Scorpions Unofficial Army

Mar 14, 2013
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Scorpions fan, I have to admit I like your new kits...I'm not so sure about ours yet....

15. Ferdy22

Ferdy22 New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Arlington, VA, USA
    Love the new name, but gotta always remember the past. Check out this cool Minnesota Kicks Subbuteo team at www.tablesoccerusa.com

[​IMG]

16. ColeWCAR

ColeWCAR Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any idea when the team plans on using those four new jerseys? Will they begin using them after the spring season finishes? Or, they ever plan on even using them?