"stars" and the lack of them...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by supa, Sep 28, 2003.

1. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    so in the 8 years of mls existence, i've noticed that dc united is the only club that has 3 stars on their kits to represent the 3 mls cups they have won. i haven't seen stars on the galaxy, wizards, or fire kits? does anybody know why?

2. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably good taste. In Italy, clubs get star for every TEN league titles they win. Putting a star above your badge for every league title just kinda cheapens the whole meaning behind it.

I hope they somehow standardize it. Otherwise, 20 years from now, we'll see stars all over most jersey.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that the Wizards do have a star on their uniform, or at least they used to have one one their uniforms, right on top of their logo.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I saw a star on the Galaxy jersey today.

As soon as teams start approaching multiple, multiple championships, they will probably change the star system to something like Italy has.

example..... 1 star = 5 championships, etc...

5. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or they can use other symbols to represent a certain number of stars. Like a banana or something. 1 banana equals 10 stars. So if a team wins 13 championships, you see 1 banana and 3 stars.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Of all the MLS Cup champions, only Chicago does not currently have a star on their kits. :confused:

-G

7. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that'd be a pretty good compromise. Though, I think the sooner they imploment a system like this, the better.

8. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to simplify the potential clutter of all those stars, and also make things easy for Joe Six-Pack to understand. This is "America" after all, and we should purposely do things differently just to spite existing tradition and celebrate xenophobia.

On that note, here is my version of how to keep track of championships. The following icons will be placed above the badge depending on how many championships a team has won:

1st championship: cherries
    2nd championship: strawberry
    3rd championship: peach
    4th championship: apple
    5th championship: grape
    6th championship: banana
    7th championship: pretzel
    8th championship: bell
    9th championship: key
    10th championship: you get an extra man

I also suggest that the team who wins the US Open Cup should wear a patch the following season depicting Lamar Hunt and a small boy bayoneting communists while sipping on root beer floats, rendered in classic Norman Rockwell style.

:)

- Paul

9. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    Someone's been playing too much Pac-Man. Are these Seattle guys all video game nerds? :D

However, you've appealed to my sick side with that Rockwell vision.