Stars and stripes?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by taosjohn, May 20, 2006.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Apparently Albert Belle has violated parole and will be off to an iron hotel soon. Got me to thinking about the impact on the folks who are pushing him for the Hall of Fame which in turn got me to thinking about present Hall of Famers. How many of them ever spent even a day in the slammer?

I believe I have read that Ed Delehanty was familiar with the drunk tanks in several locales. Cobb was arrested a couple of times IIRC, but was he jailed or bailed? Did Jackie Robinson await his court martial in the brig or was he ROR? Anyone else? Frankie Frisch? Hack Wilson? Evers? Was Puckett held overnight? Chief Bender's brother knifed his manager once, but I don't think that counts...

Don't misunderstand me-- I am not arguing that joining the local rock hockey team should disqualify you; more that the things that do qualify you make time in durance vile unlikely. Its easy to think of great players who got in trouble with the blue mens-- Denny McLain, Straw, Doc, Kirby Higbe, Ron LeFlore etc etc-- but not anyone who sustained that level through the 15 plus necessary and still found time for a round of municipal rent.

Am I forgetting someone obvious?