Star Wars: Battlefront

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Dills, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched some of the twitch stream for this yesterday. Looks pretty durn amazing.

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Downloading it for the PS4 and the Xbox One, to see which system I think it plays better on. REALLY looking forward to this one.

A shame that's it's from the 8-12th, I'll be at NYCC 9-11th so I won't be able to play it much.

3. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't played enough of the game to know if I will enjoy it; haven't even tried out the AT-AT assault mode yet, but everything about the game has so much Star Wars goodness. I love how clean the menus are, the sound effects in the menu are good, the graphics are better than I was expecting (I played on ps4), and the fact that they use the wipe technique after you die is just right.

I was a terrible teammate in my first round of play cause I spent way too much time just walking around and under an Imperial Shuttle.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played a bit last night, on the PS4 as well, but I've downloaded it on both to compare the two. I'm really digging it, I think it looks gorgeous. I played the solo and multiplayer and enjoyed both aspects of it. Definitely looking forward to buying it, have it pre-ordered for the Xbone, but I'm not sure whether that's the system to go with now.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Played my first game and was 1 and 8 with the Mrs shouting at me to turn it off

It's her fault I was so shit

6. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always been shit at FPS's but I still found running at the pods fun in the beta. I need a new computer, but I might pick this up whenever I finish Fallout

thebigman repped this.
  7. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I've come across quite a few comments stating Battlefront is nothing more than a re-skinned, dumbed down BF4. Any opinions on this viewpoint?

I would just wonder if some of the Star Wars coolness factor would wear off after a couple of months.

8. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If it was a reskinned version of Battlefield 4 in its patched state, it would be a better game then what was shown in the beta. The shooting mechanics are menial and can be only enjoyed by the most truely inept. The guns have no recoil and no attachments. Someone who datamined the beta uncovered that there is only about a dozen different guns anyway which is shocking low. The time to kill is so low that there is no form of skill or strategy is involved. The player with the first shot will 99% of the time win. The vehicle combat is garbage and the spawn pooints are outright broken. Overall the game is bereft of content and is a multiplayer title only meaning that the profligate $50 season pass is mandatory. The only positives I can say are the graphics and the sound quality. This game reminds me of the Star Wars: The Old Republic which was lapped up by the droves of imbeciles because of the licence and then forgotten about in a matter of weeks after players released the game was rubbish. I am guessing the same thing will happen here.

SpencerNY repped this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Damn taib, tell us how u really feel

ttrevett repped this.
  10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post has literally killed every iota of interest I have in the game, because for the most part, I think it is on target. I played a Star Wars game year ago on I think my first Xbox, and I loved it at first due to the Star wars thing, but then quickly realized it was truly boring and never played it again. Now, if BF and Star Wars teamed up and created BF5 in the World of Star Wars, well then we would have something.

11. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, coming out of the beta I felt the game was kinda shallow too. Though now thinking about it I don't know if that really matters; the nostalgia and Star Warsiness will probably be just enough for me. Honestly if I think about it, I don't really need a huge intricate Star Wars Multiplayer game, just put me in famous/recognizable environment, put a gun from the stories in my hand, point me at the rebels or empire, add in Star Wars music and sound effects and I am good to go. Maybe that is why I think the EA/Sony commercial that has been running for the game is completely spot on.

Dills and SpencerNY repped this.
  12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just need to decide on which console to get it on. Decisions, decisions.

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Never did get a chance to actually play the beta, but they're typically a limited-content version of the full game, and might still be buggy. I think it's hard to make a final judgement on how "good" a game is until you can actually play the full, retail version.

14. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That does not apply here though. This is a beta in name only. What can EA DICE actually change within a month of release? Practically nothing. Dark Souls 3 had a beta test recently and that game is still 6 months away from release. That is a proper beta test and they told beforehand what they were testing. Star Wars Battlefront beta is more like a play it early demo and is indicative of the final product. Like I said before in my previous post, people have already datamined the beta for the rest of the game. As for bugs, well EA DICE last release was Battlefield 4 which was at release riddlied with game breaking bugs.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That assumes the beta was current as of its release, almost a full six weeks before the retail version will be on shelves. Who's to say it was? Plus, haven't you ever heard of a "day one" patch?

Additionally, datamining (such a buzzword these days) can be limited in what it can/cannot find. I wouldn't put a ton of faith in what those people supposedly dug up.

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

Dante repped this.
  16. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't really saying if a person could/should or couldn't/shouldn't judge the upcoming game on the beta, just that after being somewhat down on the Beta and now expecting a not so deep MP shooter I am ok with that cause STAR WARS. As long as the game is good enough to make me feel like I am living out my Star Wars fantasies I will be happy with the product.

Dills repped this.
  17. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What would be then point of not allowing the most current build for test? There is none. A company puts out an earlier build to test not the current especially a few weeks before release? That is just dumb which is why it does not happen. Game development is about iteration. Alpha then moving to beta.The game has to be certified, the game code has to be finalised. It then goes to the factory to be processed and then shipped round to retailers around the world. This has to be done before the release date obviously which is why people can get early copies of games. People have got Fallout 4 now even though it 2 weeks before release.The game is finished well before the release. At this stage of the lifecycle hardly any changes can be made to the code which is why during the beta there were hardly any bugs that were reported or any device to report them. Day One patch to do what exactly? They released a demo of the game and then boast how successful it was and then change mechanics of the game? If there was a Day One patch it would be to fix glitches and to improve the ping of the servers not the mechanics of the game.

It can be limited but then why would the developer put things in the code that are not available and obfuscate others? Because they are going to add them in the one month they have or in a "Day One" patch? No, that seems ludicrous.

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ICYMI ... the companion app is now live, and I'm kinda addicted to the "Base Command" game it has.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who's getting it on what console? I think I already know what Dills is getting it on. ;)

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, just like Mills Lane, I'm getting it on.

[​IMG]

21. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xbone as well...

22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone with any reviews since it dropped?

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picked it up on Xbone...

And of course, Iron Banner launched today as well, too many games to play.

Dills repped this.
  24. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There are critic reviews to read which are mostly on the 6-8 range. Even lower then Call of Duty. I have read most of them and what I wrote in the previous post applies. Once again I was right.

Pros:
    - Great graphics and sound design
    - Faithful to the theme.
    - Playing as Star Wars icons is fun for a time

Cons:
    - Shallow game with bare bones amount of content.
    - Crap FPS experience. If you like guns that shoot slowly and not where you point them then this is the FPS for you though
    - Poor amount of weapons. Eleven and they all feel the same
    - Poor vehicle combat.
    - Very low map variety
    - Outdated progression system
    - Novelty wears off quickly

Like I said the droves of morons and idiots will buy this because of the licence and then when the realisation comes that the game is half baked they will have buyers remorse. It is just a case of when really. This game has the foundation of being great but they rushed it out to tie in with the movie. Two year development time is not enough in today's AAA video game market.

Sal and ttrevett repped this.
  25. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So these are reviews, not your personal experience with the game?

I am not surprised, but I am sad about it. The problem is that to have a blockbuster game, you have to have a story line which is new, not something they could do, or a vibrant online experience and variety in weapons/vehicles, etc, which wasn't something they were interested in pursuing it seems. Another case of just slapping the Star Wars name on something and expecting to fleece the general public of its hard earned money.

Taib repped this.