Star Trek: Picard [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Dante, May 23, 2019.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. ;)

-G

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kirsten Beyer is a producer and co-creator of Picard. She has also written every Voyager novel since the relaunch of the line, and every book utterly embodies the Star Trek ideals of restraint, understanding, diplomacy, empathy, and truthfulness that we expect from the series. Either she is getting drowned out (which doesn't seem likely, since she was promoted from script writer for Discovery), or there are pressures on them from higher up.

Maybe that's just a conceit, as I like her books a lot and her Discovery episode "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" failed the basics of storytelling so badly it's emotionally dissident for me to say they came from the same person unadulterated.

Belgian guy repped this.
  3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Star Trek Section 31" is boring

4. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand Patrick Stewart didn't want to come back to just play the same character on the same show again, but I would have thought there would have been a way to do that while keeping the spirit of the original show intact. Picard was the ultimate diplomat. From where I presume the show is headed after the premiere, that's not going to be the focus here.

What's really bothersome to me is you could have done these types of shows in universe without just saying "all right, Starfleet is the bad guy". Want to have a show where a returning lead has to stop rogue forces from turning his people into an isolationist, unhealthy society? Set it on Qo'noS, staring Ambassador Worf. Want a Game of Thones type show in the Star Trek universe? Set it on wherever the new Romulan homeworld is, and follow the various factions fighting to become the new leader of what's left of the Romulan empire. Add dealing with the Remans. How about a secret organization that infests the government? Do the Obsidian Order. I'd watch the shit out of those shows. It would be something different, but still fit in the canon.

taylor, spejic and Belgian guy repped this.
  5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how you do a Star Trek show with Picard like previous shows since it's only a 10 episode season. They're not going to do a story of the week flying through the galaxy series.

I totally believe the premise of Starfleet being the bad guy though, we've seen glimpses of this in every series since TNG.

I'm one of the opposites in this thread, I'm actually enjoying Picard a great deal. Still don't care for Discovery at all though.

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I,ve enjoyed it also and it is a good deal better than the first 2 episodes of Discovery. Of course I've also accepted that any Star Trek that comes out now is only Star Trekist not Star Trek.

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And why does every US TV series need to have their 9/11 moment as some sort of background story moment from when everything want downhill? See attack on Utopia Planetia?

taylor and spejic repped this.
  8. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Cheap plot device

taylor repped this.
  9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Did I mishear Jurati say that "there are three billion stars in our galaxy"?

This is the stuff that they used to get right. Even lowball estimates have the Milky Way at 100 billion stars and there are others that have it in the hundreds of billions.

spejic repped this.
  10. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm resolutely not watching this show.

How is it?

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really liked the first two episodes, it's not TNG or anything like the old style of Star Trek, but it was good. The last two episodes I've liked a bit less. Now that they're in space and have most of their team assembled, I'm still on board to see where it goes.

It's MUCH, MUCH better than Discovery.

12. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ive stopped watching after the 3rd episode

13. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is growing on me.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It shares with Discovery a total lack of Trek's optimism.

I also don't really recognize some of these characters. Though the argument against that would be, time has moved on, so why would they still be exactly like you remember them?

Mach1 repped this.
  15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than Picard, Seven, Troi and Riker there's really not a lot to recognize with the characters. And time has moved on and things have affected people so why wouldn't they change.

I've been kind of eh, of the 8 episodes aired so far I've REALLY liked 3, 1 was meh and the others I am kind of whatever on. It's time to realize that Trek isn't going to be the way it used to be anymore. Which is a shame, but it's what it is.

taylor repped this.
  16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ive picked it up again and I think it is "ok". Discovery is two levels above it though. Hopefully, "Star Trek: Pike" will be something

17. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Coronavirus quarantine is making us all do strange things.

White/Blue_since1860 and taylor repped this.
  18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a bit disappointed with the finale, for a variety of reasons. After seeing the latest teaser and images for Disco, I have even less faith in the series.

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Man. When you loose faith in Picard, you loose faith in humanity. The End is nigh Boys...

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Started listening to this audiobook over the weekend. Clearly one of the best recent novels together with "Fire with Fire". Kinda wish the plot was used for the tv show instead

[​IMG]