Stanford University thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cachundo, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford-Tennessee [R]

Without the wind, it was a nice day for soccer. The sun finally peeked out of the marine layer, while fog was rolling down the Santa Cruz mountains. Temps were in the high 60s, but everyone bundled up as the wind made the air temps seem 15 degrees cooler.

Stanford 2-0 Tennessee

This was certainly not Stanford's best game. Attacks stalled in the final third. Possession was not being contested as they normally do. Passes were attempted behind streaking teammates. Balls over the top were needlessly attempted. Hmmmm, did I miss anything?

In the 66th minute .....
    a scramble on top ..... BANG! ..... a score .....
    ..... a nil-nil game this is no more .....

Lisa Engel scored off some confusion in the box.

In the 81st minute, Stanford took control of the match with Sanderson's goal. Sanderson juked her defender 25 yards out. Suddenly, there was all this real estate between her and the GK. GK should have come out, Sanderson moved forward, beating the GK with a shot on the near post.

So-so game ..... but we'll take the win, and all the lessons learned from this match.

Sunday at 11am will be against Montana, the first of a double-header that ends with Santa Clara-Tennessee.

3. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford - Montana [R]

Stanford 8-1 Montana

Montana were unable to fend off the pesky Stanford attackers when they swarmed the PA. Stanford were lobbing crosses left and right. With the Tennessee match probably still fresh on their minds. Stanford were hell-bent on scoring early and often.

The score was 4-1 at the half.

Most of the regulars were replaced when play resumed in the 2nd half.

Early in the 2nd half, Stanford subs scored three goals in three minutes. The kids really displayed some serious talent and packed firepower. That's a good thing, since this will be the last season of the Marcie-and-Marcia show.

Next week, Stanford travel to St. Mary's to face # 1 North Carolina.

4. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford Achieves No. 1 Ranking For First Time In Program History

Congratulations to the players and the coaches for a great start to the season.

Did the # 1 ranking come a bit prematurely? To put things in perspective, the winner of Stanford-North Carolina will be the real # 1.

Win or lose on Friday, the ultimate goal is to win in December in Austin.

5. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Time will tell.
    Indeed!
    That is also true.

Go Billikens! :D

6. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Chat with Callie Withers

Excerpts from Chat with Callie Withers

=========

Peter (New York): What has been the biggest reason to your team's success this year?

Callie Withers: (4:07 PM ET ) I feel that in light of recent events, especially with our sudden change with coaches, we have definitely come together as a team. I don't think we have been this confident and together as a team during my 4 years here- and I think because of that, we are playing so well these days.

=========

Rob (Toronto): What do you plan on doing when you finish college?

Callie Withers: (4:15 PM ET ) Well, I would love to play for WUSA, but that's not really in my control in so far as the draft. Other than that, I don't really know - I really would like to travel more, as I traveled to Australia and New Zeleand last year. Maybe grad school? But generally, I feel like things will come around and things will fall into place for me in the future.

=========

AZ: Hi Callie, what's better, having a perfect tackle or scoring??

Callie Withers: (4:43 PM ET ) It really does depend. Ideally, the best is when our whole team steps high, and then I step to intercept a ball through a tackle maybe, and then it's like there is a huge green light - meaning that it's on to go to goal- either to pass it off for someone to score, or shoot myself. I love stepping from deep midfield and turning the other team's attempt to build out of the back into our own attack.

=========

Rob (Toronto): I hope you put the beats on No. 2 Carolina on Friday. Good luck!

Callie Withers: (4:47 PM ET ) Thanks! I think our team is more ready than ever because I think we all have this quiet underlying confidence and feeling that we are the team to beat, not just in the game against north Carolina, but in all of our games this year. I can't tell you how exciting it is to feel that on a team- to just know it inside and see that fierce look in your teammates eyes.

7. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford soccer team faces tough test
    by Dwight Chapin, San Francisco Chronicle
    Stanford women eager for clash
    by Dylan Hernandez, San Jose Mercury News
    The Marcie-and-Marcia show has thrown the gauntlet. CR signaled advantage. Play on Stanford.

Remember ..... keep the opponent THUNDERSTRUCK!!!

8. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Cub reporters

As a UNC fan, I am sorely disappointed I am going to miss this one. If there is anyone out there who will be at the game and can make it to a computer at half-time...please post!

GO HEELS!

9. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    UNC and the west coast

While waiting for cachudo to post his game report, I felt a need to review the history of UNC playing on the west coast.

..... ``North Carolina is such a powerhouse that they get to hand-pick their schedule,'' Stanford senior forward Marcia Wallis said. ``In the past, they didn't show much respect to the West Coast. They just stayed over in the ACC and played most of their games over there. But you can tell by their schedule -- they scheduled Portland and us -- that they're starting to respect us.'' .....

UNC has played Portland 7 times:

10. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    And St. Marys 8 ( but there has a been a several year gap who can say if that wasn't a decision of St. Mary's)

11. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    UNC and the west coast continued

This rookie screwed up again. To continue.

UNC has played Portland 7 times. 2 in Portland, 1 at Raleigh, 2 in the NCAA semifinals 1 at Notre Dame and one at St. Mary's.

UNC has played Stanford 6 times. 3 in Palo Alto, 2 at the Houston College Challenge and 1 time in Chapel Hill.

UNC has played Saint Mary's 9 times, 8 in Moraga and 1 time in Palo Alto.

22 games. 15 on west coast, 5 at neutral, one at Raleigh(more or less home) and one at home.

Case closed.

12. Jefe De Menlo

Jefe De Menlo Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Menlo Park CA
  13. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    UNC - Stanford

AsI waited in line to buy a ticket, I overheard a little girl ask her club teammate: “Who do you think will win?”

Reply: “Whoever scores first.”

Who says kids don’t have a clue?

Perhaps that’s an oversimplification. In this evenly played match, the team that can better convert their chances will win. And that was North Carolina.

North Carolina 1-0 Stanford

Stanford started the match in their usually aggressive form. Aggressive on both sides of the ball, not allowing UNC a shot until late in the 1st half. Had UNC reeling for most of the 1st half as Stanford continually changed the point of attack. Aggressive enough to play with just six or seven at most, behind the ball. While seemingly outnumbered during counters, Stanford were able to destroy much of UNC’s midfield play. However, for all of Stanford’s time of possession and aggressive attacks, it was still a scoreless half. Stanford moved the ball with relative ease from midfield to the attacking third. The stat sheet will eventually show that shots were just about even. But what it won’t show is how many times Stanford couldn’t make the final pass, or just did not have the vision to do it. I was surprised how much space Marcia played with in the middle. When UNC defenders closed up, they were not aggressive tacklers as I thought they would be.

For their part, UNC couldn’t convert either. Stanford efficiently destroyed UNC’s midfield plays. UNC had good attacking opportunities when they put bursts of speed up their right, or played long. And when the ball found the feet of the UNC forwards, they held quite well, and made runs, and fed off each other.

The goal was scored by UNC’s Ramsey in the 60th minute, as she buried her shot past Barney’s outstretched arms. What happened was that two defenders picked each other off inside the PA as the pass was floated to UNC’s Ramsey; I think it was Spilger and Hayley. Big mistake. Ramsey knew what to do with the ball when she found herself alone with the GK.

At this level, you make that kind of mistake, you’ll pay for it. But when it was Stanford’s turn to capitalize on UNC’s mistakes, they just couldn’t bury them.

After UNC scored the goal, Pabon was pushed up, leaving just three in the back. Stanford now mirrored UNC’s 3-4-3. Things got a little more frantic. There were stretches of wide-open soccer. And that’s when you can see the difference between the teams.

UNC showed better tactical organization in the 2nd half, and patiently building plays instead of trying to outrun a defender by putting one over the top. With the goal, UNC played more patiently, building attacks though one-two combinations in midfield which they were unable to do in the 1st half. By being patient, UNC were able to create width, stretching the field, allowing those playing centrally to be more creative. Several times, UNC would find an attacker wide left with three of her teammates inside the PA waiting for her cross. Only one or two Stanford defenders were in the PA. Yikes! Were it not for Pabon slide-tackling inside the PA, UNC could have had at least two point-blank shots. Even when Pabon was pushed up, she made great defensive stops.

With three in the back, Stanford defenders displayed aggressiveness I haven’t seen before. I often found Hayley’s play quite timid, but she actively defended against the likes of UNC’s Tarpley & Ramsey. Same thing with Spilger. Spilger took a few for the team too. This match was a good learning experience for the likes of Hayley and the other young defenders. The level of talent she played against motivated her to dig deep, display her individual technical ability, and be aggressive.

This one could have gone either way. However, there were too many times when Stanford should have shot, or should have passed, in the final third. There were just about many of these should-have could-have than shots attempted.

In the end, UNC converted. Stanford did not.

14. speedo

speedo New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Chapel Hill NC
    Cachundo's commentary almost had me there watching the game and feeling the flow. Thanks!

15. RD

RD New Member

Feb 24, 2000
    NC
    Great replay

Cachundo, thanks for the great analysis and game insights. I've read a few of the web articles about the game, but I really find your analysis of the ebb and flow of the game the best recap.

Doesn't sound like either team lost this game, and I expect both to be playing late into November and perhaps December (barring any upsets).

16. SoccerUSA1

SoccerUSA1 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Bradenton, Florida
    has UNC played SCU recently in the regular season??? i know they didnt last year, but im not sure about before. they should because it would be a great matchup every year.

17. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You're welcome speedo & RD.

18. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Article from the Merc, with quotes from Marcie & the coaches.

19. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Article from the CoCo Times, with quotes from Marcie, Marcia, and UNC head coach Anson Dorrance.

20. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford - Tulane

Stanford 3-0 Tulane

Once again, Marcie didn't waste any time introducing herself to the opponent with an easy goal in the first minute.

Jennifer Farenbaugh scored the 2nd goal inside a packed PA. Becky Myers should have one-touched for a score when she had the ball. Too many touches on her part, then wisely tapped to Farenbaugh for a score.

The next 80 minutes were spent laying siege to the opponent's net without much result. Most of the starters were lifted when the 2nd half started. The subs generated enough opportunities to score, but again could not put one in. The crossbar was Tulane's best friend at least twice. Tulane's GK saved at least another two goals with brilliant stops. Tulane defenders also were at the right place at the right time to block two of Marcia's headers right at the line when their GK was out of position.

Sanderson scored in the 90th minute to end this one.

Lindsey replaced Pabon midway through the 1st half. Not much speed was lost. Lindsey picked up where Hayley left off on Friday, defending aggressively and showing some good ball skills against the opponent. The twins have been good acquisitions for the program.

Next week will be a trip to L.A. to face Pac-10 opponents USC & UCLA. The road team will have plenty of support in the stands as about a dozen players call Southern California home. Hoping for a good outcome as both teams are tough opponents on the road.

21. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Redux

He is quick to dispel the opinions of other posters, even of Becky Burleigh

For the record, Becky and I are in complete harmony this week!

Peace love and a Republican Senate to all!

22. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Upper90, you're nothing but a troll. Please act your age.

If I wasn't such a cheap bastard, I'd pay to upgrade to premium member status so I can activate the ignore function, and ignore the likes of you.

UNC fans, and soccer fans in general, if you liked what I've posted so far in this thread, I just need twenty of you to PM me a pledge for $1 each, towards my upgrade to premium membership so I can ignore the ignoramus.

Thank you.

23. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Until you get an ignore list, cachundo, you'll just have to do it manually. Is it really that difficult?

If you must reply rather than ignore, at least refrain from name-calling.

Thank You

24. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    PAC-10 play

Stanford on the road against USC & UCLA

25. cachundo