Stanford University 2022 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cachundo, Dec 15, 2021.

1. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Samantha Williams gave them fits when she was on the field. Really good change of pace player, was one of the few bright spots during that disastrous Covid season, and I hope she can put together a great season.

30 are listed on the roster for this edition. That's one of, if not, the longest rosters I've seen so far at Stanford. IF everyone is healthy, won't be surprised to see 3-5 take a redshirt season.

The frosh who played, played well enough. Evans, Montoya, & Aikey started and they all played well. Aki had smooth touches under duress; all that currywurst during her gap year did her good lol. Lumi had some good looks and eventually scored. My goodness she towers over everyone; should eventually supplant Amy at target as the season progresses. The best thing so far that Lumi has done this season was ditch the #8 jersey lol. Great move ditching the #8 jersey, you're going to have a great career kid. :thumbsup:

When they get their number called, players have to play their best to earn PT. With a long roster this season, and what's in the pipeline the next 2 seasons, you better play well when called upon. The next 2 classes have a total of at least 10 players with experience in the various -20 & -17 youth teams. With that mother lode coming in, and with this outstanding frosh class, my prediction for fielding a College Cup -worthy edition in 2024 might hopefully come a little earlier. ;)

whatagoodball and SakiBomb25 repped this.
  2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Congrats on defeating the Chinese women's national team 1-0 care of Maya Dom's lone goal. This might be the only loss that the FIFA 16th ranked CNWT has sustained in their current US tour versus different universities and clubs so far.

blissett repped this.
  3. whatagoodball

whatagoodball Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 9, 2021
    They played a WPSL team (Davis Storm), the University of San Francisco, Cal, and Stanford. Have they or will they play any other teams?

4. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #29 Pelefan, Aug 26, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    I have read they have been trying to arrange friendlies with as many teams as they can in their US tour mostly based in California.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Chinese-women-soccer-team-17390809.php

"At first, Zhou contacted NWSL teams, but they were all in the midst of their regular seasons. With the NCAA season set to start, Zhou saw the perfect opportunity to use her connections with local coaches.

“That’s a top team that we’ll see in our lifetimes,” Stanford head coach Paul Ratcliffe said. “I think it’s really exciting for us to have that kind of opportunity. We can learn a lot about ourselves in a difficult match.”

"China faced the WPSL champion California Storm, USF, Cal and eventually Stanford during its tour. The matches were sellouts, with a large contingent of Chinese women’s national-team fans in the stands."

Frankly I think they should have just arranged friendlies during the next FIFA window with national teams like New Zealand, the Philippines and Mexico are doing facing each other in California stadiums next week.

blissett and whatagoodball repped this.
  5. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #30 cachundo, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    USF 0 - 3 Stanford

Big night for Lumi with 2 outstanding goals and a deft assist. She causes matchup problems in zone 14 whether facing up or with back to goal. Add to that the audacity to lob it from zone 10; their fullbacks or wings have to defend against that. Obviously part of her vast arsenal as she did the same audacious thing against China, but hit the crossbar instead. Had she scored against China, she would have brought the house down.

And she wears old-school black cleats, the ones old geezers like me wear. I can't picture myself wearing Dayglo yellow-and-pink ensemble :D

Samantha Williams' goal, and I estimate that half of all her goals at STanford were of the 3rd man variety. Slipping that ball into space for Williams to run to is a match for her skillset.

There was once this great defender and ball hander at the Farm named Naomi Girma. Have you heard of her? She was last year's #1 overall pick in the NWSL, and a leading contender for both Rookie of the Year and Defender of the Year awards . One might be forgiven to forget about Girma, as Elise Evans showed that she's cut from the same cloth. Elegant defender, classy ballhandler, kept USF at bay with their tenacious early attack in the early stages of H1. Evans is the latest of a long line of outstanding Stanford defenders.

The USF game is archived on-demand here.

Sunday's game at home against UCSB. If GK2 were to get a run out, this would be it, or against Poly.

6. whatagoodball

whatagoodball Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 9, 2021
    Nice win last night with Campbell coming up with a couple of big saves in the 2nd half to keep PSU at bay. The team is displaying quality depth in general, and in each of the four regular-season games, four different players had a brace.

7. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford 5 - 0 San Diego

Lumi scores a hat trick. Nice to finally see someone this season who can clean up balls loitering in the box. Lumi's 1st goal was vintage O'Hara. KO, instead of just firing the ball from danger close, had the audacity to drag the ball away from the GK & depositing it from a step or two away. Good instincts from Lumi, and likely saved the GK from a possible concussion, &/or a missing tooth or three.

Not to be outdone was Logan Smith & her outstanding breakaway goal.

Haven't had a legitimate breakaway threat since Sophia Smith. The past season I noticed that teams would play a high line and compress the field on Stanford due to the lack of a breakaway threat. Logan had to slow down her run because the ball was released late lol. Looks like someone who's done double poling training, as she outsprinted the last of the defenders.

This season is different - (1) we can outrun them & score, & (2) we can pick up the garbage & score from up close.

Next game will be Sunday night at Santa Clara. Probably frosh convocation at the gym beforehand, so expect a big & boisterous crowd.

8. Socr4evaH

Socr4evaH New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jan 4, 2020
    What happened against Northwestern? Nobody seems to be posting about that game.

9. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Anyone have any insight as to why Kitahara isn’t playing? Is she injured?

11. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ASU 0 - 2 Stanford

12. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford 2 - 1 Washington

Felt like the Card were unlucky not to score a few more, and lucky not to have conceded at least one. A win's a win, but left much to be desired. Transition is very poor, spine frequently caught out of position, little to no pace to get back, mildly content to tiptoeing back to defend smh. Much like the previous edition, team speed is mediocre, which has been the Achilles heel against USC the past 2 editions. Hopefully this edition plays better against Wazzu. They lost at Cal, so will be very motivated to extract a positive result against Stanford.

13. whatagoodball

whatagoodball Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 9, 2021
    It felt like 2 different games.

After a frenetic first 5 minutes or so, Stanford settled into some nice possession and dominated the opportunities for the rest of the half.

The second half looked different. After the first few minutes, Stanford was content to often play long balls forward without connecting and struggled with balls in the air - especially on set pieces. There were a few occasions of loose passes in the defensive third and a lack of urgency when pressured, but I give Washington some credit. They kept grinding. Still, I would like to have seen Stanford commit to more possession in the 2nd half. Not sure if it was Washington applying more pressure, or it was a conscious decision. I didn’t notice any subs in the Stanford midfield. If so, that’s the first time I saw that.

14. whatagoodball

whatagoodball Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 9, 2021
    Saw this.
    upload_2022-10-14_14-1-44.png

cachundo, blissett and cpthomas repped this.
  15. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford 1 - 0 UCLA

Stanford"s Elise Evans converts from a CK, the Card park the bus for the last 20 minutes or so, and secure a vital 3 points in the hunt for the Pac title.

Really tight and edgy game through 60 minutes. But after Montoya got injured just before HT, H2 was really a mixed bag. The last 20 minutes Ratcliffe took a page from Mourinho.

Never have been a fan of negative tactics; I've seen enough of those employed against Stanford. But without the services of his two best wide players, who can not only hold the ball, but drove the bus and carry the whole team forward, I can understand why this was employed.

Massive win against the #1 team in the country. Hope the Card roll the rest of the Pac schedule, and with a little help, to secure the Pac title.

16. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone following the U17WWC in India? It's a very entertaining group. Against host India, Stanford won 5-0. It's actually USA 8-0 India, with electric Onyeka selected FIFA POtM. Against Morocco it looks like it was Stanford 4-0, with Kohler selected as FIFA POtM. Next up will be a knock-out match against Nigeria for a place in the semis. It seems Onyeka is of Nigerian name origin. Oct 21, F, 0700 ET, 0400 PT

17. SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Is Sam Smith also a Stanford commit?

18. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It seems like it’s a tug-o-war between Paul & Hideki :D

19. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    from the Oregon trip:

Oregon 0 - 1 Stanford

and

Oregon St. 0 - 3 Stanford

It was a "what did I miss moment" as I was making sandwiches when Aikey snuck in a brace. Wtf I was gone for just a few minutes :sneaky: Luckily, I caught the 3rd goal live. The 25-yard DFK on top of the arc was of such a Goldilocks distance that I thought Aikey had a 90% chance of scoring. Unfortunately, the Stanford twitter did not capture that moment :( Aikey was so happy running to the bench.

Last homestand of the weekend with familiar faces coming back to the Farm. The Stanford coaching staff, I mean Utah coaching staff led by Hideki come back Th, and Civana the Buff-killer on Sunday. Civana used to score at will against Colorado; it was her fave team to score against. I hope she doesn't hurt us too much ;)

20. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stanford 5 - 0 Utah

Stanford 2 - 0 Colorado

Final regular season game at Cal, KO scheduled for Fri 1500. Cal's RPI is near 40, iffy territory for an at-large bid, but if they get a positive result against Stanford, they should get in.

Stanford need to win for the outright Pac title.

Stanford's RPI atm is in the Top 10. FWIW, if the selections were made today, my subjective view of the top seeds would be:

Code:
    [1] UCLA _____ [2] Virginia
    [1] UNC ______ [2] Stanford
    [1] FSU ______ [2] Alabama
    [1] ND _______ [2] Duke 
    There's still a lot of soccer to be played next week so anything can happen. With the NCAA's proclivity to rig the bracket, they would probably send Stanford to UCLA. Should it come to fruition, and the seeds perform as expected It would make for a shorter trip, and UCLA are hungry for revenge. :sneaky:

21. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cal 1 - 1 Stanford

[​IMG]

Congrats to the Pac12 champions.

NCAA selections scheduled for Monday afternoon. We'll see if the draw at Berkeley cost us a chance at a 2-seed

22. whatagoodball

whatagoodball Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 9, 2021
    It could be San Jose State in the first round. They won the Mountain West Tournament.

cachundo repped this.
  23. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree that that would be the most likely scenario.

Based on the NCAA's history of rigged decisions, Stanford are on a likely collision course with Santa Clara in the 2nd weekend, and against UCLA on the 3rd weekend.

We shall see on Monday.

24. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    San Jose St. will indeed make the short hop on the 101. [link]

The tie at Cal really sank any hopes of the Card being a 2-seed. Stanford's RPI sank 70 basis points from that result. So instead of the possibility of hosting 3 games, Stanford are only guaranteed a home game against SJSU. The week after that, Stanford will likely face BYU, then most likely UNC - in North Carolina. If that task was not tall enough, the following week will have to travel to Notre Dame to punch their ticket to the College Cup. Hope the team are up to the challenge.