Stanford University 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cachundo, Jan 12, 2017.

1. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Time to start a new thread for 2017.

The link for the 2016 thread can be found at Stanford University 2016 [R]

[​IMG]

Congratulations to Maddi Bauer and Jane Campbell for being selected in today's NWSL draft by the Seattle Reign and Houston Dash, respectively.

2. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

Macario, Redington, Jojo, Serafin, Haley & Angotti pose in front of MemChu during their official visit this past weekend.

MIA: Belle, Civana, Kiki attending some kind of camp in Fla.

Welcome to Stanford! :cool:

Official announcement soon :thumbsup:

3. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    An extremely talented incoming class for Stanford.

cachundo repped this.
  4. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    A super talented bunch of girls!! Looking forward to watching them play this year!!
    Yes-- Belle, Civana and Kiki are at the U19's WNT camp in FL...

cachundo repped this.
  5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

One way to alienate everyone here is to post on every thread. Try posting to the referee thread. You are sure to get a great response there.

6. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    from gostanford.com: STANFORD SIGNS EIGHT

[​IMG]
    Belle Briede [Milton, GA]
    Tophat SC
    U19 YNT

[​IMG]
    Madison Haley [Dallas, TX]
    Dallas Texans
    U18 YNT

[​IMG]
    JoJo Harber [Bellevue, WA]
    Eastside FC
    U18 YNT

[​IMG]
    Civana Kuhlmann [Littleton, CO]
    Colorado Rush
    U17 World Cup Team

[​IMG]
    Catarina Macario [San Diego, CA]
    San Diego Surf
    U15 YNT

[​IMG]
    Kiki Pickett [Goleta, CA]
    Eagles SC
    U17 World Cup Team

[​IMG]
    Brooke Redington [Manhattan Beach, CA]
    SC Blues
    U17 YNT

[​IMG]
    Sophia Serafin [Glendora, CA]
    West Coast FC
    U17 YNT

Welcome to the Farm :thumbsup:

7. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    According to Lo, it's official :laugh:

Welcome to Stanford, Samantha Hiatt! :thumbsup:

Sam Hiatt bio [link]

Joins 6 other Card at national youth camps [link]

D1 experience at BC a huge plus. Much-needed defensive help with both Maddie and Amack gone [grad school at Vandy]. Probably day 1 partnership with #15, unless Serafin makes a huge impression

8. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #8 cachundo, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    [​IMG]

about incoming frosh Belle Briede: [ link ] ; [ link 2 ]

9. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I'm intrigued to see who Stanford fans think will be their starting lineup this fall? With all the incredible returning talent, and loaded freshmen class, I can't imagine how difficult it will be for the coach. Here's who I think will start.

GK: Rood
    CBs: Cook and Hiatt. LB: McCread
    LB: McCready
    RB: Xiao
    HM: Davidson

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that about every one of Stanford's teams, every year :coffee:

11. Really?

Really? Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    Not a fan but I am pretty familiar with the team. My money is on this lineup assuming that Sullivan won't be available until October at the earliest.

GK; Jahansouz (she started the games Campbell missed last year)
    LB: McGrady
    RB: Pickett
    CB: Cook
    CB: Hiatt
    HM: Davidson
    AM: Macario
    B2BM: Dibiasi
    WM: Xiao
    FW: Carusa
    FW: Haley (Kuhlman will get her shot too)

D1bound repped this.
  12. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    No Sullivan? I'd say she's prob healed by now yes?

13. Really?

Really? Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    A fast return from ACL surgery is 9 months. With her pretty much being guaranteed to be the first pick and them having tons of talent, why would they want to rush her back when November is when they will need her?

D1bound repped this.
  14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps more significantly, with Sullivan looking like a National Team member and potential key player in the 2019 WWC, why would she be willing to take any chances on coming back too early. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't play at all this year.

D1bound repped this.
  15. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I cannot see Andi Sullivan not competing for Stanford her Sr year. I think she'll be back early Oct.

16. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Christmas in August :cool:

18. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

from the San Mateo Daily Journal: Tierna tearing it up

Game 1 is Friday at Marquette. Here's how I see the lineup:

Who will start in goal? J’s start at USC last season provided a glimpse of her performance and deficiencies against top-flight competition. Having seen that, I’ll take the unknown, and I’d like to see how Lo can play between the posts.

Looks like McG has left-back nailed down. Although this edition has an over-abundance of left-footed players who can step in at 3 at a moment’s notice.

Right back was a swinging gate last season, with both Amack and Lee out for the season. New kids Kiki and Jojo will compete for the spot. Kiki’s size is not ideal, perhaps the smallest ever to don the jersey. But if she can defend in college…... Anyway, hedging my bets on Jojo. Real shame that both have to come in at the same time, since one is really #1 and the other is 1a. Whoever wins out at the 2, fans will be in for a treat, as she will be the best right back since Quon.

I always believed that a team has to be very strong up the spine to challenge for a national title. From back to front, 1-5-6-10-9 have to be, at the very least, very good soccer players. Hedging my bets on Lo to start in goal.

At the 5, the only question is who will co-pilot with captain cook? Sam Hiatt started as a freshman at BC last season, so looks likely to pair up with Alana.

6 was Andi's to lose since she stepped in as a freshman and controlled play. Tierna came in as a frosh last year and proved she was just as good, allowing the team the luxury of moving Andi to be more of an 8, less of a holding role and more of a shuttling and attacking role. I really like Andi as a 6 and Tierna as an 8, but who am I to complain when you have two future national teamers playing right now?

At 10, Jordan has been the nominal starter. I prefer to see her play deeper, which is where she might play until Andi is fully healed to start a full 90 in october. I prefer a 10 who has better close technical ability, has a creative presence, who has pace and surge forward when the opportunity presents itself. I think X or Macario will shine here, but Rat is a creature of habit.

At 9, Kyra’s played there for 2 seasons. I prefer a 9 who offers pace, power, penetration, preferably all 3 of the Ps in abundance. I prefer a finisher who can convert half-chances. Someone who can create separation, with pace, with better technique in close quarters, not attempting a Cruyff turn every time you’re inside the box. Someone who can provide penetration, and isolate and/or get behind a central defender with pace or guile, someone who can lead the line. Civana tore it up with the ‘17s, hope she can do the same here. Hope Belle can really push for PT as well.

At 11, it has been X’s to lose. Macario will push for PT.

At 7, it needs a huge upgrade from last season. Hope Haley, or whoever else, can be up to the task. Mariah. before she sat the season out, terrorized the endline and was responsible for at least 5 corners/game. Unfortunately that season the Card were inept at converting CKs.

For this edition to go deep, they need to take goals by the bucketful. If the last home games the previous 3 seasons were of any indication:

2016 - Rd 2 OT2 loss to SCU

2015 - QF OT2 aet eliminated by pens against Duke

2014 - QF OT2 aet advanced by pens against Florida

The Card struggle to score, both during the regular and the post-season. This is why top-shelf players such as Tierna play the full 90 coz the Card win by 1-goal scorelines, and need a full 90 [or more] from their best players in order to hang on to the lead and close out games. The glaring deficiencies of the last 3 seasons - lack of a quality finisher and genuine goalscorer up front, and of a creative midfield presence - have always surfaced in the playoffs. Hopefully, the new blood will address those issues, and will help the Card play during the last weekend.

19. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Marquette 0 - 4 Stanford

The Card break the game wide open in H2 to pull away from host Marquette.

5 new starters from last year’s lineup, with 3 brand-new faces making their debut in the first XI. What surprises do we have in store this 1st game?

Marquette had the game’s 1st quality chance after Jahansouz fouls their player inside the box. On another day with another CR, that could easily have been a send-off, so very fortunate that she only received a caution. Their attacker met a diagonal ball played behind Alana, and GK got her foot, perhaps the ball too. CR points to the spot, the crowd howling for a send-off. Marquette PK was poorly paced and poorly placed, Jahansouz making an easy save.

One C-Mac from pointyball graduates, a new C-Mac from WSoc makes her mark. Macario singes the net for Stanford’s 1st goal. The ball fell to C-Mac’s feet when Tierna’s earlier shot rattled off the crossbar.

With a minute left before HT, Kiki played a weak passback, attacker quickly got to it, but shot poorly and weakly, straight to a stranded GK, instead of chipping it over her.

HT score was 0-1 Stanford, but against a better team, it would easily have been Marquette 2-1 with 45 minutes to play against a 10-player visitor.

H2 starts inauspiciously with Jahansouz poor footwork saw the ball land to an attacker just outside the box. Once again, Marquette shot poorly, not even on target against a stranded GK. This game could easily have been Marquette 3-1 after 47 minutes.

Kyra scored Stanford’s 2nd goal meeting a pass inside the box from Jordan. Jordan’s defender fell while challenging for the ball just outside the 18. So it was just Jordan and Kyra against Kyra’s defender and the GK.

Stanford broke the game wide open with 2 open headers within 2 minutes of each other. Kyra got Stanford’s 3rd goal when she headed the ball in, with her defender not challenging.

Less than 2 minutes later, a CK met the head of one of the smallest players on the field. 5’1” Mariah Lee had a defender attached to her hip all the way. But when it mattered the most, only Mariah jumped, to redirect the ball into the net for Stanford’s 4th goal.

Good away result for the 1st game of the season. Issues have to be sorted out in the back. Against better teams, they’ll make you pay with those types of mistakes. With 3 new starters in the back, excrement happens. Notwithstanding Kiki’s poor passback, I thought she played very well, a dynamic 60” unbridled terror.

Lest the result get to our heads, Marquette are not yet that good of a team, and will probably not make the dance. Wisconsin might be a more difficult challenge on Sunday. Unfortunately, no stream anticipated.

Props to Marquette for providing a stream. Much appreciated.

20. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Florida 3-2 Stanford

UF's 1st goal was an attacker left unmarked at the arc. Can't tell who's supposed to be marking that shooter. But goal was savable, GK provided Joe Hart impersonation.

UF's 2nd goal was a free header back post. Kiki lost her mark, but even had she jumped, vertically challenged to win that ball. GK should have been able to get to that ball but like Joe Hart, was slow to the opportunity, inside the GK area, yikes.

UF's 3rd goal saw their attacker isolate Xiao, made a cut t ocreate separation, outstanding goal.

GK howlers just bad news getting worse. College GKs don't get better, too few games to hone their craft. They come in as frosh, and wysiwyg all the way to senior year.

3 goals on 4 SOGs. Florida must be just that good.

Reminds me of 2006, Card go to Santa Clara, control the entire game, but give up 2 howlers on only 2 shots the entire game, to fall 2-0. Rat finally learned his lesson after same GK had a frightful Halloween night against visiting ASU, giving up another 2 howlers on 2 shots in only one half of action, the 2nd goal literally falling out of the night sky behind the GK. Yikes!

The boxscore says H2 saw 2 starting defenders lifted, McG and Hiatt. Hmmmm!?! :unsure: Makeshift defense plus Andi unable to play the whole game, literally under the clock.

1st home game against Georgetown Friday night.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  21. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    #22 socalsoccer23, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Hoping McGrady is nothing serious.
    Same for Hiatt-- not sure if she got injured as well so didn't play 2nd half?
    Agree with the "hmmmm?!" above.
    Sullivan still coming back--that ACL takes time--hoping just a few more games and then back to full time games for her once the season really kicks in...?

If it must happen & it did--think the Florida game happened at the right time, good for a loss to happen now/early, tinker with things, and get back on track...

cachundo repped this.
  22. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This article from fourfourtwo may provide a glimpse as to what Tierna's future role might be with the Nats. Talks about KO as well.

Bizarre headline. followed-up by even more bizarre subtext. Does not even adequately explain to the casual fan as to WHY "the U.S. fullback pool is at odds with modern soccer", until you get to the very end of the article. By then, the point of the whole article is lost.

Hmmmmm, is the author THAT Richard Farley, the mass murderer? :eek:

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  24. cachundo

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC