Stanford/Marcus Ryan

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by bigdush, Sep 19, 2006.

1. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Anyone know what happened to Marcus Ryan? I could've sworn he had one more year of eligibility.

2. EveryDayIDo

EveryDayIDo New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    He is currently in Wyoming fighting forrest fires, and he quit soccer last year after having a bust up with the coach.

3. WCoastSoccer

WCoastSoccer New Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Thanks for the update...I was wondering the same thing myself. If I remember right, he was their top goal scorer last year, which was great seeing as he missed his whole sophomore year with an injury. And that's exactly what Stanford is missing, someone who can score goals. They have some okay creative players (Shimizu, Shapiro, Novak, etc.) but I think Evan Morgan is their only real goal scoring talent. With Kartunen out (I believe for the year with injury) and no Ryan, I guess it's not mystery why the Cardinal are struggling.

All that said, I've met Bret Simon and you couldn't meet a nicer, more positive guy (even though they haven't done very well lately). One can only wonder what the bust up was about....

4. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Marcus was the same type of kid, nice as could be. I feel sorry for him if this is all true. He was a good player with the potential to be a pretty darn good professional player.

5. WCoastSoccer

WCoastSoccer New Member

Sep 16, 2005
    One more question about the Cardinal roster, where is Luke Sager this year? I remember him being pretty highly touted coming in, and he got a lot of playing time last year but he's not on the roster anymore.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The longer they get from Bobby Clark, the more in dissaray Stanford soccer becomes.

7. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    The Cardinal had a surprisingly good weekend, for a change, beating San Diego State and following that with a draw versus UCLA. Both games were at home, but nonetheless those results put Stanford at second place in the Pac-10 standings for now, behind the 1-0 UW Huskies.

8. barbarycoast

barbarycoast New Member

Oct 7, 2006
    I've heard from numerous Stanford players - past and present - that Bret Simon is not a player's coach. They don't like him apparently. Don't know what he does behind closed doors, because he comes across as a nice guy to people outside the program.