Standing Sections at WPS games?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Meinert6, May 5, 2008.

1. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    I've been talking with the Breakers about setting aside a part of the stadium where standing/singing/drumming/etc. are encouraged. Every MLS team has this component, but I've never seen it for the women's game. In my discussions with the Breakers, I was asked how much interest there was in this possibility. And I realized, I have no idea.

So, what do you think? Would you be interested in supporting a WPS team from a standing section? Do you think we could fill a section with active supporters? Half a section? A few rows? Or would it just be me and a handful of my friends?

Do enough women's soccer fans of this type exist to warrant a section reserved for us?

2. revsfan98

revsfan98 New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Weymouth, MA
    If they create a standing section, I will pay in full for a season ticket right now.

3. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yes and no.

I think the problem some of the old WUSA supporters clubs had was convincing their members to move from their perfect center field seats. Many were season ticket holders and they just didn't want to watch the game from the outer stands. That being said, the Crusaders (Freedom) managed to get a decent crowd or two, but I don't think it managed to have anything even close to that of the men.

I don't recall too many matches of any kind (U.S. or WUSA) that really put on a good sized supporters section, except maybe the 2002 WUSA semifinals in Cary (Beat Brigade) and the 2001 U.S.-Mexico game in Charleston (Sam's Army organized it). Although I suspect there were a few more. But not many.

Is there already a supporter's club for the Breakers?

That being said:
    A WPS team? No. I'd rather watch from my center field seat. But tailgating, post-match drinking, etc.? Yes, definitely.

Not to be pessimistic, but I would say probably not.

Yes, and possibly. I would seriously organize a SC first, if one doesn't exist, then gauge members and potential members before getting the team to reserve a whole section.

Just my two. Sorry to be pessimistic. It's not to say it won't or can't change, but just reflecting on my personal interactions with the various SCs. Subject to disagreement, of course. ;)

4. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most of redcard's post, but am a little less pessimistic. I don't think you are going to fill a section right out of the gate, but wouldn't exclude the possibility. When the Riptide has enough members or inquireies, ask them. I am a former and probably future member of the Midnight Riders, but I like my regular seats. I think that getting a designated sectionis a start, then see what your members want rather mandating either sitting or standing.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I pretty much go to all the Chicago Fire games. No matter where my seat is, I always stand in the concourse behind Section 8 Supporters. I Watch the game, mingle and am near all the stuff with Section 8.
    I would love to see a standing supporters area for the Chicago Franchise. They would probably be located where Section 8 is now at the north end. However, if it's just going to be a handfull of people then it's pointless. It's worth it when you have a full section of people singing in unison and you can hear it at the other end.
    One reason I would like to see it because it would add a more serious competetive edge to the game. Some teeth if you will. Women's sports are often viewed as "feel good and soft and fuzzy". I would like this league to develop some "nasty" rivalries where the fans get into it and the players play each other tough.
    I would like to see when a player puts on a Chicago or Boston or St Louis jersey that she plays with full heart for the home name on the jersey and not just to look good so she can be called up to the National Team.

6. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    Yes - I and a few others have been working to start one, called the Riptide. We are well aware that supporters' club and standing section are not synonymous. I imagine that there are plenty of people who would want to be a part of the supporters' club for the reasons you mention, but want to sit and watch the games from midfield seats. I also imagine that there are people who would like to stand and sing during games who have little interest in being involved in an organized supporters' club.

That being said, I think that one of our responsibilities as a supporters' club is to work with the team to create a standing section for those who would choose to watch the game that way, which is what we're doing right now. So at this stage, I'm just trying to get a feel for how women's soccer fans like to watch a game.

And, thanks for the idea Dan - I just added this as a question on the Riptide's inquiry form.

7. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    i think this is an interesting idea and interesting predicament. on one hand, i'd love to turn the atmosphere at WPS games into those in the premiership, with everyone singing and chanting all the time. tha'ts obviously hoping for too much, but a standing, singing area would be fun. that being said, i would probably rather watch the game from the best seats available, and whether i would trade that for boisterousness would depend on how boisterous and well organized the sc was. kind of a catch 22, i suppose. but from a practical standpoint, what would you sing and chant? if i showed up at a game i would have no idea what to say, so maybe some cheat sheats would be helpful. i also think that you'd have to have enough that the songs didn't get repetitive. the same three or four 30 second songs for ninety minutes would be dreadful.

8. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure we'll come up with quite a repertoire of chants etc in Boston...

However if you find yourself in the Chicago Supporters Section you'll probably hear the same old...

Si-r-ens..Si-r-ens
    Sirens..Sirens..Sirens...
    Sire Sire, Sire Sire....
    Sire Sire, Sire-rens...

Or whatever they end up calling themselves for 90 minutes...

May as well start the rilvary right now right??:D

9. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get your pen ready Rich...

:D

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It will be a success if they are anywhere near what the Fire supporters do.
    And if you're implying that Section 8 sings the same songs over and over, when was the last time you came to Toyota Park?

11. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone reading this is from St. Louis and wants to get something started, I'm game. I'm trying to think of a way to get a drum...

I want a supporters section for these girls like people have been working in one for our prospective mens side. I'm all for chanting and yelling!