Standing during the match??

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Dave Brother, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Big Head Ed

Big Head Ed New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Landenberg, PA

All I am saying is that if the people around you are standing who gives a f-. If you cant see move to where you can. I like having the freedom of being able to stand. The freedom comment was about not being told what to do, if I want to stand I stand if I want to sit then I sit. If you constantly come and sit in the same section and people stand then move to a different area, there are plenty of open seats in the stadium to sit. I have not been to a sell out crowd yet. Dont come on here and complain about it because nothing will get done you have to do it yourself. And is age really a question, what has that got to do with anything???

2. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    I think everyone's pointed out that there should be designated standing sections for those that think it's necessary. Likewise, people outside of those sections should be able to enjoy the game without someone standing throughout the entire game.

In case you haven't noticed, the majority of people at RFK prefer sitting to standing. Common courtesy suggests that for most of the stadium people should sit if they are asked to. If they need to stand, then they are the ones that should move, not the other way around.

The whole sitting/standing issue if not about doing whatever the hell you want, or having the right to stand at a game wherever or whenever you want. It's about respect for the other fans around you. People buy tickets to sit, and except for certain areas, that should be a reasonable expectation.

For a ridiculous example, buying a ticket at a movie theater doesn't mean you have the right to stand if you want to. If someone did this and you asked them to sit down, would it be acceptable for them to say, "I'm a real movie afficionado, so by standing I'm simply showing my enjoyment of the movie, and demostrating support for the director and actors. If you really liked the movie you'd be standing too. So stuff it and sit somewhere else if you can't see."

The age question was simply a smartass response to your previous post, since it sounded like something I'd hear on a playground. I apologize for the antagonistic post, but I get pissed when people don't show any concern or respect for the people around them. If people would show some consideration and respect for fellow fans, there would be no problems. A soccer game is a group experience, and everyone should make an effort to ensure everyone is enjoying themselves.

3. cindyland

cindyland New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    From a shortie...

I have been a season ticketholder since 1996 and I prefer to sit. Here are the two main reasons why:

1. My first year I was with the Screaming Eagles in the corner section by the dugout. I stood. I got yelled at. I got hit in the head by a half-full bottle of Pepsi. It really wasn't any fun for me any longer after that (feeling like I was going to get pegged at any moment), so we just tried different sections for the rest of the season.

2. I am 5'2". When people are standing, I cannot see. At all. I can barely see anything sitting if someone with a big head is in front of me. I have been in situations (not necessarily soccer) standing behind tall men, who would not let me stand in front of them to see, even though I wouldn't be blocking their vision at all. So I sit in the sitting section, where my chances are better to see the action.

As a sidenote, I went to an EPL game a bunch of years ago (granted, it was Palace...but they were playing Newcastle!) and everyone in my part of the stadium sat, but were just as vocal and into it. Wrinkly old guys were dropping the f-bomb like there was no tomorrow.

Cindy, A height-challenged DC fan

4. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    you were a hall monitor in school i bet ;)

5. PFKing15

PFKing15 New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Well...I'm all for leting people stand and enjoy the game...i admit i don't have a lot of experience with going to United games, but at the million of Lacrosse and Football games I've been to and played in: the fans stood all the time.