Standing during the match??

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Dave Brother, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Dave,

That guy was pretty rude to you, but the same people who were complaining yelled at me when I was getting beer money from a friend (BEFORE THE GAME EVEN STARTED). You could tell these people were first and probably last timers given the poor quality of the game and their poor attitude. They probably gave that guy a bunch of $hit right before he took it out on you.

2. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I also sit in section 232, I got a half season plan there and buy tickets in that section for all the games I don't have in my plan. I'm the guy you see up there with the big DC State flag..anyways... I enjoy standing for the game and would consider myself and my friends some of the loudest supporters in that section. I usually see the same people in the section, some people like to stand and some don't. If people in front of me are standing I will stand to see the game. If people in front of me aren't standing and I can see the field I will sit, unless I look behind me and see a bunch of empty seats. I want everyone to enjoy the game, granted I enjoy the game more standing, but I'm 6'3" and I can understand if someone behind me would be annoyed if they couldn't see. I'm thinking about moving to Screaming Eagles section next year..The All Star game will be my test to see how the view of the filed is from down there....but c'mon guys this shouldn't be too hard..like someone else said DC United should really make aware that they do have a family section, and maybe list sections that are standing only, but as long s we are at RFk this problem will always exsist.

3. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    another goalless night at RFK and i may beg you to kill me...

seriously though, i think it is great there are other BSers in 232. i am the big, bald guy who stands in row 4 (there is a smaller bald guy, whose name i don't know who also stands behind me, just to distinguish).

4. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    You show 'em!

Keep standing!

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I'm going to come out and give my completely biased opinion! Sitting at a soccer game makes no sense to me! The only excuse I can think of is that a person has some injury or pain that does not permit them to stand up for extended periods of time!

I started on the terraces (real ones without any crush barriers) and I didn't understand why people bought the seats at the midfield lines. Wanna sit, go watch something else! Yes, I am a snob and know it!

Sitting is for an a**, FANS stay standing!!

Its my motto and creed! I cannot understand NOT standing singing/chanting/jumping for your TEAM!
    Stand up if you're a United fan!

Yes, I know that there are "all-seaters" in England and that standing is punishable by ejection and potentially banishment from stadiums. I feel sorry for them! They don't have a choice and have to comply.

6. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allow to take the steam out of this issue. What I believe Grumpy is saying is that people who are going to stand and cheer, should stand with the other fans in sections where standing is the norm. What he takes issue with is the occasional punk who declares it is his RIGHT to stand in a seated section. As far as I can tell, he has no problem with those of us that like to stand, and those of us on here know where we congregate. To Grumpy a stander on the seated side is a cell phone call in front of you during a movie and I agree with him. Those fans who want to stand and support the team should join other like minded individuals and not ruin the experience for those who care not to. To the guys in 232, that DC sells tickets there without informing the purchaser, is retarded. It reminds me of this May in Foxboro, when a family of four attempted to insist that they have the exact seats they purchased in the first come, first serve Fort.

Ladies and gentlemen, we all know the ground rules, we should politely ask those around us to follow them, or kindly provide information to them as to where they can find like minded supporters.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bryon_Elon95.....The Voice Of Reason :)

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Oh yeah! That was rich. How long did they last, like 10 minutes?

9. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Well put Bryan et al.

I would just like to say, and not to beat the point to death, that standing does not necessarily make one a "better" fan. I've been attending soccer/football matches for years and I've sat down at almost all of them (notable exception for MLS CUP 99) and I'm no weak sister. To paraphrase Nick Hornby on the all seater situation , it's not sitting that makes a game less intense, after all the seated sectiond of Ibrox and Parkhead make more noise than the North End on a good day.

10. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    This is gonna piss some of you guys off, but I'll say it anyways:

Your momma.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    My Mom? She likes to stand too!

12. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    My Mom likes to stand as well. She had a great time with the BB/SEs during an Open Cup match last year! She even had a few choice words for the referee, who did a thoroughly incompetent job! (Ok, so I had a few choice words but she didn't threaten to wash my mouth out with soap!)

13. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Dang, seems I really hit a nerve. Let me say that I have been a Choir member for the past 3 seasons and not until the past 2 matches has standing ever been an issue. And yes, I symphathize with the folks who wish to sit all match. So to them I say find another section.

I thought that was you Red and Black!!

My secondary purpose for writing this thread is to show that there is a right and wrong way to handle rude fans or rude ushers. I chose the high ground and things worked out.

14. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean.

"Go back yo your country" - WTF? Sitting = slavery? Whatever.

Sit down and shut up.

15. Big Head Ed

Big Head Ed New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Landenberg, PA

Come find me and make me....moron

16. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The Quiet Side
    I say ... Let them stand!!!

17. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    The maturity of the dialogue here is stunning...

18. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD

Take it easy Ed those testosterone levels are getting dangerously high.

You are truely the poster child for your ilk.

19. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC

Bwahahahahahahahaha....

How old are you?

20. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Shut it with the personal attacks or else I'll pull this thread over and no one will get to go to Disneyland.

Your fatherly moderator.

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    are we there yet?

22. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I can't tell. Some idiot is standing in my way!!

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I assume this whole debate refers to the atrocity against the Revs.

One of the new security guards around 120 told us we had to sit down once the match begins. Luckily, Steven Zack was nearby and we got him to tell them that La Norte, and the SE/BB, could stand. After that, we had no problems with the security guards, who spent most of the match picking up something everytime we dropped it over the edge of the railing.

If anyone from DC United is reading this, please remind security that 120 and the Nest are designated standing sections. It makes things a lot smoother because security can then offer to reseat the sitting crowd.

Sachin

24. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Perhaps we can get them to rip out the seats to make it very obvious.

(sigh) I miss terraces...

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    It would make it lot easier for my fat backside to get a running start when I storm the field to give Lassiter a beat down.

Sachin