Standing during the match??

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Dave Brother, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I sit in Section 232 which is pretty reserved as compared to the BB or the Eagles. I had an usher (yellow shirt #2026) come up to me and inform me 8 minutes into the match that my family and I must sit down because the folks behind us were complaining about not being able to see the game.
    When I asked his ID # he, in a very disrespectful tone, said "Do you want me to write it down"? To which I said, "YES, Please do"!!! He did not. He proceeded to go around our section telling everyone else to sit down as well. As if this wasn't bad enough, at least 3 other yellow shirts came around right behind him and told everyone the same thing!!

I went to the United Customer Service Office and they immediately set this wayward soul straight. By the time I got back to my seat, another yellow shirt had come out and told the people that complained about us standing that they did not have the authority, nor the right, to ask anyone to sit down, and that they were welcome to move to any section they wanted where there were empty seats.

Lesson learned....Use the system, and the system will work.

Thank You Dan Giffen!! The mere mention of your name averted alot of bull**** !!

2. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    What I forgot to mention was that the people that they seated in another section, sat behind "The Family Section" of the Eagles, and then went to a gentleman sitting below them and asked him to sit down because they couldn't see around him either.

To them I say go watch a Freedom match because in the immortal words of Revelation, "Sitting is for an A**, Fans are standing!"

3. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Standing?

232 is The Choir's section, so it's probably a pre-approved standing section, no? Were you almost anywhere else (that is not pre-approved as are The Nest, The Barra, La Norte, and The Choir) and I'd expect folks would have the right to ask you to sit.

Honestly, I don't care much about standing one way or another. I stand in The Nest every game, but wouldn't care if we sat (in fact, I might be louder because I wouldn't be holding my beer quite so much of the time!). I stand in Sam's Army for many Nats games, but sit elsewhere in other games. I've been to many stadia where the hardcore fans sit; these are folks that are at least as loud and at least as dedicated to their club/country as most of the United/US fans I know.

There aren't many places in the modern EPL where standing is the order of the day, are there? How about elsewhere? Is our domestic idea of standing (from Sam's Army to most MLS supporters groups) just a sense that old-style English Terraces are what the true fans should emulate? Or is there some other reason?

Anyway, if the United customer service folks could have done me a solid in the last game, it'd have been making the beer guys sell as long as they're supposed to, rather than cutting us off early.

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think we stand so we can make the stands bounce.

5. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Seats are for sitting. Try that on the quiet side and we won't have to bother the ushers or security. Talk about ill mannered Euro snobs. As long as you can do whatever you want, what the f*** do you care if others paying to see the game can only see your fat backside.

6. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the SEs stand in '96 when they/we were over more-or-less in the opposite corner (which I don't think'd bounce like our current seats)?

7. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    >>Seats are for sitting. Try that on the quiet side and we won't have to bother the ushers or security. Talk about ill mannered Euro snobs. As long as you can do whatever you want, what the f*** do you care if others paying to see the game can only see your fat backside.<<

HUH? Your point?

--Dave, why don't you just stand in the Barra or Nest if you care to stand for a full game? ts less hassle and cheaper.

8. Big Head Ed

Big Head Ed New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Landenberg, PA
    UNITED WE STAND

we are united fans therefore we stand

9. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD

Therefore, those of us who sit are not United fans. What a moron.

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Damn, you are grumpy!

11. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because you see the game a hell of a lot better in 232 than in the Nest or BB.

My season tickets used to be in 232 and, of the many places that I've had seats in RFK, was the best overall game experience. Some standing, some sitting, lots of noise but I could still see the game.

There's a ripple effect from the SE's. When something's going on, the people in the back of the nest stand up so the front row of 231 and 232 stands up and then up the line.

Every once in a while some soccer mom would get attitudinal that we were standing but we were honestly standing because if we sat we couldn't see the game so I'd usually tell them to bite me.

12. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD

That may be true. But I am tired of having to put up with insensitive, disrespectful louts thinking that whatever they want to do should be ok with everyone else no matter that they are interfering with the enjoyment of the game by other ticket buying fans. I guess its funny that people have to move from the seats they bought so standers can do whatever the hell they want.

13. Chag-Chow

Chag-Chow New Member

Feb 16, 2002
    College Park, Maryland
    NorteLocura

I don't know why some people in other sections stand if they don't chant or jump or nothing. I think that if you are just standing up for the f..ck of it then you are just wasting space and should sit. A good example of how it should be done is La Norte which stands for 90 mininutes chanting and jumping-then it is worth it.

What I am trying to say is that if you are going to stand up do it for the right reasons!!!!

14. HSV Hooligan

HSV Hooligan New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Shaker Heights, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy standing. I have to sit behind a desk all day, and the last thing I want to do when I go to a soccer game is sit. There are different forms of fans: those who sit and those who stand. I don't choose my tickets by where standing is "allowed", but where I find the best view. My advice is: if you are going to a game, expect that there will be people who enjoy standing and CHEERING ON THEIR TEAM, instead of just sitting and clapping occationally. My thought is that if you don't want anyone blocking your view, sit at home and watch the TV.

Standing is not about emulating the supporters from other countries, but getting emotionally (and sometimes physically) into the game. It creates excitement. When I'm sitting, I get bored (just like at work). Stand, cheer on the team...no matter where your seats are located. It's not that "standers" stand because they think they can do whatever they want, but it's the "sitters" who feel the need to complain because "I bought the ticket so I should be able to see"...bull. You can see perfectly if you stand up!

15. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    look, those are standing sections. there are about, oh, the other 90% of sections for people to sit in.

i'm all about respect and that, but it's not like there aren't any other seats to move to.

16. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Two sides there Grumpy

Yeah you show them. You'll just be insensitive and disrespectful here...

No one minds if you want to sit but just as you may be fed up and annoyed by people who block your view, I and a large number of other people like Barbara get annoyed by "grumpy" people like you that demand people sitting no matter whats in front of them. There is always two sides.

--The only time i ever had "standing" issues was when i used to sit across from the Barra and I had to stand up when the ball went down into the corners during a packed playoff game. Eventually people started to stand for longer periods because it was a great game. Some a-hole behind me didnt understand this and thought it was funny to yell "down in front" in the most rude and obnoxious way possible. After about 15 minutes of this I finally turned around and "explained" to him that I paid for the damn ticket and I was going to see what happens, and unlike him happily accept the people standing in the sections in front of me.

--The last time i checked the stadium is half empty. Even if you do have to move on a rare occasion you should be able to find a nice clear view. Hell indulge yourself a little grumpy, find a more expensive seat to squat in. It feels good to relax every now and then a bend a rule...

17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't have to worry much about standing issues in La Norte, I must respectfully disagree. I am tired of the show up for one game louts who will buy a ticket around Section 120 and grip about my standing. What makes you think that your sitting rights are more important than my standing rights? You have the mechanism to correct your problem by asking to move to a seat where standers are not an issue. So, like the attitude or not I bought the rights to the space where my chair exsists and will enjoy the match as I see fit. When challenged by a dissatisfied sitter I respectfully tell them they can move. I have also asked them to move to the seats next to me in La Norte if they are empty, in the front row. Most people take me up on this offer to move and all sides are happy. The point of this rant is that is most cases it is the sitter who starts the attitude problems.

18. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i too reside in 232 for the last couple years and though i am not a member of the choir (what the hell is the choir) i always stand (i moved to 232 b/c some people stood) during the game. and no chag, i don't just have my hands in my pockets, i am always yelling, cheering and making a general spectacle of myself.

i also experiened the yellow shirt guys (Dave, you must be the guy two rows back of me on the aisle, i overheard the badge number thing) telling me to sit down. i told them to tell others to stand. at least three of them asked me to sit, i said no, and they moved on. some marcia brady complained, but all that got her was Mrs. Red and Black (a european who claims to have never having sat a game at home) turning around and dogging her out. they were actually moved by the yellow shirts (which by the way is the first productive thing i have seen them do).

i know most of 232 by sight now, and not once has someone who regularly sits in 232 ever asked me to sit.

maybe my refusual to sit makes me an a$$hole, if so, i guess i just have to take it. i'll continue to stand until they either drag me out or knock me down.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sounds like Grumpy wants to turn us into golf fans.Not much room to play my drum sitting down. :rolleyes:

20. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rather than getting involved in this standing debate, I think I'll just move on...

21. Big Head Ed

Big Head Ed New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Landenberg, PA

That is what makes this country great you arse. If you want to be told what to do go back to your country and be a slave. Idiot......stay home and sit on your couch then if you want to cry about it. So stand up or shut up

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    GET UP, STAND UP
    STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS

BOB MARLEY
    KINGSTON JAMAICA
    1972 :D

23. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD

Many thanks ED. You have made my point better than I ever could.

To clarify my position, I have no problem with standing sections, only with those that stand in sections where the other fans are sitting and then expect them to move if they can't see.

24. mikemeg

mikemeg New Member

Jun 3, 1999
    Arlington, VA,USA
    Holy crap! This isn't a particularly difficult issue.

There are several sections that are de facto standing sections. The box office should understand this and indicate where standing sections are, and attempt to place families in seats that are not directly behind these sections. Until they do, I agree, those aggrieved parties should be re-seated.

Outside of those sections, be a mensch. The people behind you bought tickets expecting to be able to see a game from a seat (that's why the seat numbers are on the seat, not the ground in front of the seat!).

The point is, I'd like to have everybody enjoy themselves and COME BACK, including those who are not particularly rabid. I want their money, because I want my league to survive. Yeah, god bless you for being a rabid fan-- we should all get down on our knees and kiss your butt for being the saviour of United. But when people do indeed stay home and watch TV because they had a crappy time due to people denying them a view of the field, and you're among the 9000 fans watching the last year of a nearly-defunct league, I doubt that butt-kiss will be very large consolation.

25. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ve cood tell you, but ve'd 'ave to keel you first... ;)

-G. Rex