Stand Your Ground Part 2.: George Zimmerman Acquitted

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Zimmerman does NOT qualify as a white Latino. I'm South American myself and met white Latinos from Mexico, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, and Chile - and they were all far closer to the white Anglo-Saxon Protestant physiognomy than Zimmerman. Some in fact could have easily passed for New Englanders or whites from rural upstate NY; it was often their accented English that gave them away as foreigners.

Perhaps some people would think Zimmerman is white, but he absolutely isn't. In my native Brazil, he'd be like a high % of Brazilians: a mixed-race person, but definitely not white.

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Since you're a black person, are you against groups like the Huey Newton Gun Club or the National African American Gun Association?

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Even if the young black guys in this story were walking around flaunting guns, he had no business shooting them unless they threatened him. If they were running up and down the street - and were flashing firearms while doing so - he should have called the police and reported them, and done no more other than close his garage door, stay inside, and wait for the police.

Those kids might've been gang members... or, they might've been outstanding young men with great grades and very bright futures ahead. They might've been just average kids with average grades. Whatever the case, they were and are all precious human beings, and the kid who died - based on this article - did nothing to deserve death.

If the shooter is found in a court trial to have acted beyond the law, then I support him being sanctioned by the state. I feel bad for the dead young man's mother.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

They had to call him a "white Hispanic" or in some cases a "white Peruvian" because many people - especially whites themselves - would have identified him as a Hispanic (or perhaps Arab, even). Had he been as white as, say, George W. Bush, Mitt Romney, Dolph Lundgren... they would've never mentioned he was Hispanic or Peruvian.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can't read, Bluto

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Let the record show I tried to interact with you, as I have done so with posters like Bigredfutbol.

As it is.
    :)

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there's the sarcasm. So much for the respectful dialogue.

Can't say I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt.

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You don't interact. You pontificate and try to drown out people with the amount words you use. Over and over. Throw enough bullshit around and some might stick. Gainsaying doesn't make an argument.

Although this seems to be the only life you have. "The love me, hate me, but don't ignore me."

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    There was no sarcasm meant whatsoever. If anything, I thought before writing that post and actually shortened it because your many posts have made it clear that you've put much thought and yes, emotion into this, and I did not want to write anything that might have offended you. As well, the fact you and I wrote well to each other recently would have sufficed (I hoped) to show that I wanted to discuss this with you (and with anybody who was willing) in a polite and respectful manner.

I can't force you to believe me, and I do believe that sometimes, written communication can mislead/generate misunderstandings. But I can honestly say I meant no sarcasm at all.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    honestly. :)

11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Did you apply for your concealed carry permit yet?

This was sarcastic.
    :p

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'll take your word for it.

Century's Best repped this.
  13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zimmerman IS a murder. I don't know how you can dispute that. You can say self-defense but really, Zimmerman created the situation.

Having said that, if Martin would have just gone home instead of confronting Zimmerman he would still be alive. There are personal responsibilities involved on both sides, not just one.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I'm pointing to how the poster above called me "Treblinka's Best" - he is accusing me of hating Jewish people, in a thread where I haven't said anything negative or hurtful towards Jews.

15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the reference.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So, blame the victim ?
    That's a lot in the vein of trump saying of a woman being harassed in the workplace, she should change jobs.

fatbastard repped this.
  17. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since neither of us knows exactly what happened, to say Martin wasn't at least partially at fault for engaging Zimmerman at all to me is disingenuous. Personal responsibility is difficult for some people to understand when it's much easier to place "blame". I don't "blame" anybody for anything and in this case I think Martin could have made different choices that would have saved his life.

Before you and others get your panties in a bunch, Zimmerman is an ass that ultimately should have been held responsible.

To answer your other, relatively unrelated point, if my daughter worked at a place that was allowing he to be harassed I would tell her to change jobs. Certainly not "blaming" her for the harassment in your hypothetical, but why would she want to keep herself in that situation?

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you kind of are since you must assume women being harassed would stop if your daughter wasn't there. Or you just don't care and think she shouldn't either.
    Why wouldn't you encourage her to fight her oppressors and try to have the harasser removed while she could keep her job/career if she enjoys it. It's also better to fight a system from within.

Granted, if she was just complaining for the 17th time and unwilling to file a grievance, then leaving might be good advice, but why should she be punished before the guy or gal who's actually doing something wrong?

19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't assume women as a whole would stop being harassed in the hypothetical, just that my daughter would be.

Arguing hypothetical situations is always fun :rolleyes: but I would hope she would know when to fight which battles and when to just move on. Keeping with the thread, I have tried to get her to understand keeping herself safe is her #1 priority above all else. Live to fight another day and all that.

fatbastard repped this.
  20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It was pretty clear from Zimmermans testimony that Zimmerman was the one who followed and engaged TM. NOT the other way around. That is not hypothetical and you're the one being disingenuous
    and the the point of that stupid first inflammatory sentence is?
    Seems you're the one sounding shrill and probably wears panties :)
    So everyone has a doting father, like you and Trump. He gave the same answer. To the same question. Not every body has the option of running away from a job.
    Trite answers like your (and donalds) just feed the harassment and put the onus on the victim, Again.

21. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I remember is Zimmerman losing Martin and them being surprised to find him close and coming at him.

I don't know what trump says, don't pay any attention to him, but looks like you do so I'll take your word for it.

What you consider trite is interesting. What do you tell your kids? Fight to the death over everything?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You guys are debating the nuances of the Zimmerman trial while Milwaukee burns.

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    interesting that you don't take notice of Trump. I'll bet you have opinions based on that though. :)
    No, it's your comments I consider trite. I told my kids to stand up for themselves. They're doing very well thank you.

24. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opinions based on what?

I hope your kids don't end up like TM.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator