Stadiums in China

Discussion in 'China' started by gosya, Jul 26, 2007.

1. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Was recently looking at the list of stadiums in China, and there 16 stadiums of 50,000+. Most of them new. And countless others in the 25,000-40,000 range.

Now, I understamd China is a populous country, and typical city is 3 million+ in population, so stadiums seem of right size. However, China does not have a strong domestic ball-sport league (soccer, or anything else). And the teams that China does have, tend to play in smaller soccer-specific stadiums.

So, my question, what are all these large stadiums used for? Are they generally unused/empty, or are they often used for other things - athletics, concerts?

2. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    Actually, the Chinese Superleague, the top division in China is at least in the Top 7 in all Asian leagues. Most of the teams play in large multiuse stadiums, with track. Although some teams, such as Shangahi Shenhua, Tianjin, and Sichuan have soccer-specific stadiums ranging from 25,000- 40,000 capacity.

As for the uses, it ranges as some stadiums are used more Athletics etc.

i think Worldstadiums.com, and Stadionwelt.de are good sites.

My favorite stadium are probably Dalian's stadium Jinzhou Stadium. google that. its nice. although it has a track.
    [​IMG]

3. Montage

Montage New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    China Bejing
    They were used for the super league.
    but hardly fill full. Bad soccer market in China now cause the bad behave in Asia cup....

4. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
  5. Kenzhi

Kenzhi New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    How many guys can be seated in the Beijing's Workers' Stadium?

6. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    CHN Beijing Hyundai Football Beijing Workers Stadium 72 000 1959 all-seater

7. Kenzhi

Kenzhi New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Do you mean the capacity of this stadium is 72000 seats and it was built in 1959? As I know, this stadium is called Workers Stadium or Beijing Workers Stadium. Since when it was changed to Beijing Hyundai Football Beijing Workers Stadium? Is Beijing Guoan same as Beijing Hyundai?

8. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    yup same has beijing hyundai except that the link with hyundai is over now

someone know the capacity of the BIT stadium and maybe a link to the pic of the stadium

9. usausa-redded

usausa-redded Red Card

Aug 28, 2006
    Stadiums in Beijing is OK. But the porblem in China is pollution. I am not sure if people will tolerate with pollution in China.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Kenzhi

Kenzhi New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    How to post pictures?

11. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The new Tianjin stadium is amazing !!!!!

12. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    I hope China plays its WCQ at the new large stadiums, where it will be intimidating for the visiting teams. Or at Changsha or Shanghai.

13. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hyundai sponsor Guo'an during 2003-2006 so the team was named as Hyundai

Gongti was built in 1959 with the capacity of 100,000 at that time

14. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    If those stadiums should be sold out for CSL games, it would be one of the best leagues in the world. Is there no investor who will bring a big player like Ronaldo/Ronaldinho to the league to give it a boost? Like Beckham is now in MLS in the US?

15. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    There have been big stars in China. Carsten Janker, (Shenhua), Ermin Siljak, Václav Němeček(Dalian), Pazin&Zivkovic at Shangdong.

Beijing have had Roland Kirchler(Austrian), but these players were not very successful.

Stig Tofting played for Tianjin in 2003. Tijjani Babangida in 2004.

Those are the biggest star, but not very professional nor did they generate interest.

16. Kenzhi

Kenzhi New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    I took me a while to realize that Gongti is Gong Ren Ti Yu Chang. Is it the oldest stadium in China? And the biggest?

17. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    Those aren't big stars. Big stars are Beckham, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Roberto Carlos, Eto'o, Shevchenko, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Messi, Henry: Now THAT are super stars!

18. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    Good luck tempting those players in China. If they would leave Europe for any league, it would be the Middle Eastern retirement clubs, MLS, or Japan.

19. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    the oldest stadium is
    no the oldest stadium which is still being used for football matchs, is Xian Nong Tan stadium, also a home venue for Beijing Guo'an

the biggest one will be the "Birds' Nest"

20. Kenzhi

Kenzhi New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Bird's Nest? You mean the stadium which will be used for the opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics?

Never heard of Xian Nong Tan. How do you write in Chinese characters? When approximately was it built?

21. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    yeah birds nest is the nick name of the National Stadium which is built for 2008 Olympics

Xian Nong Tan (先农坛, means the temple of Flame Emperor) stadium was built in 1936 but some article says the Tian Tai Stadium of Qingdao is the oldest stadium whic is still in use

22. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Hey Greenlion do you know the name of the stadium of BIT?

23. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
  24. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    we need soccer stadiums, not soccer + track. the tracks surrounding the stadium take some of the beauty away.

25. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    the new HuShi Stadium, is under constrution i think, it will be the stadium of huhhot inner mongolia

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]