Stadium Wide Chant

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Zak, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Mods, if we could make this sticky for the next couple of weeks I'd really appreciate it.

In the 10th, 35th and 55th minutes of tonights game section 137 is going to try and start a stadium-wide chant. This is essentially how it'll go:

137: "oh when the Crew"
    Rest of Stadium: "oh when the Crew"
    137: "go marching in"
    ROS: "go marching in"
    Everyone: "Oh when the Crew go marching in, oh how I want to be in that number, oh when the Crew go marching in"

Repeat x3

Very simple, just a call and response. Please consider joining us in this effort.

Also, if going forward we could find people in various parts of the stadium to help us help the stadium get through this, that would be great. Like I say, 10th 35th, and 55th minutes.

Also, I'm sure we're going to be doing this chant more than twice tonight, so if you hear us doing it at a different time than the two mentioned above, feel free to join in.

thank you

2. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we might want to get some guys to spread out from 137 for those 3 times. Maybe send 2-3 guys to each of the corners near us. This would help spread the chant, and at least help inspire a complete "North End" chant if nothing else. I think if we can get that going, then it will spread more quickly. However, I think we are asking for difficulties by just expecting it to catch stadium wide from 137. So if we could get maybe 6 people to walk down to the corners a couple times a game, then I think we could really get this going.

3. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    the only problem is, when we went into the corners this past weekend, we couldn't really hear 137 leading the chant. This is because of two reasons, 1)the incesant drumming that takes place with no rhyme or reason from the Wrecking Crew, and 2)believe it or not it's pretty loud in the other sections, not because they are supporting the team but because there's a lot of chatter going on, and everyone is trying to talk over their neighbor.

....so unfortunately we're going to need as many voices as possible to remain in 137. However having said that, if we could get people from various sections in the stadium that already sit in one of those sections to step up and volunteer to help us out. That would work beautifully.

I'll talk to Scott and see how the scum got their stadium wide cheer going. If I remember right, they just kept doing it until people caught on.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speaking of the Wrecking Crew, there have been times I was sitting in 107 or in the UD above the club seats and couldn't hear the North End, but could hear Wrecking Crew no problem.

5. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those guys have never been team players, IMO.

Oh, and consider this thread stickied.

6. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    cheers to you.

I can't figure out what the deal with those guys are. It seems like a really cool set up, and could be a great supporters club. They have a big RV that they tailgate out of, lots of resources in as far as they have multiple drums. However, they just sit there and pound, and pound, and pound, then they get the horn out and blow, and blow, and blow. I just don't understand what the motivation is.

7. CrazyF.C.

CrazyF.C. New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Washington D.C.
    have you tried asking them to stop for the o when the crew chant is done during the 10th and 55th. Seems reasonable. If they are interested in creating atmosphere, then I would think they would cooperate.

8. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    You know, this might actually have a chance if the Crew Stadium people didn't pipe in their damned circus music every time you tried to start it up. We couldn't hear you any time because of the constant music. The only reason I even knew what was going on is because I glanced at the clock.

And seriously, how long did it take for the PA guy to "explain" the "Let's Go Crew" thing? I've heard laws of physics explained more quickly than that chant.

Crew Stadium's in-game management is getting worse and worse with each match. I hate to call for it, but their actions make them look like the monkeys in CrewToon's favorite picture.

9. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Don't provoke Toon ;)

I had no problem hearing them the 3 times. No one other than me and my buds had any real interest in responding. Any word on when they're gonna put words on the vido board?

And for the love of God, do they really have to say "those of you in sections --- through --- say "Let's" etc. Do they really think we're that ignorant?

10. CrazyF.C.

CrazyF.C. New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Washington D.C.
    o no, we're doing that tampa bay ************ where half the stadium says one thing and the other half says it all in the most monotone high pitched voices possible? God save us if we can't create better atmosphere than tampa bay or san jose.

11. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I'm envious of you, Plowmanoo. There must be more useless chatter in my area of 107 than yours. But then again, I've always suspected our part of 107 had many extraneous conversations going on.

12. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the "o when the crew" chant didn't really get off the ground in 107 last night. I could hear 137 mostly because I was listening for it. Lot of new people that didn't know what was going on were oblivious. A lot of the regulars that at least shut up and clap along either weren't there or weren't into it. I guess we have to take the good with the bad in these things.

The Let's Go Crew thing was a little painful at the beginning, "Call me Ishmael...." But seemed to be a nice addition and certainly got some people into it.

Oh, and Flick: What are you talking about man, everyone in our section is 100% knowledgeable and only makes appropriate and/or witty comments. If you say any different you are waaaaay out of line pal!

Z

13. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

14. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Crazy...it was pretty f-ing sweet. Lighten up there chief...

15. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually going to agree that the "Let's Go Crew" chant went off really well. The stadium really seemed to be roaring the first time or two when it was done. Just imagine if we got that PA moron to explain the "Oh when the Crew". Then it would really be roaring then as well, and I believe this is really what we want, is it not?

16. dmets

dmets New Member

Apr 13, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
  17. dmets

dmets New Member

Apr 13, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    BTW - the gist is the
    "Lets" "go" "Crew" chant worked.

So why not use the same means of getting the fans all on the same page - a visual/audible trigger/cue from Mr. Scoreboard Voice in the Sky.

In otherwords, use the dreaded piped in music for good rather than evil.

Dustin

18. 3stripe

3stripe Member

Indy Eleven
    Oct 14, 2001
    Brickyard Battalion
    last night was the first time i paid attention to the stadium wide 'let's go crew' chant....yea, it's not the most creative thing going, but it was great to actually hear the rest of the crowd cheering for the team...it's gotta start somewhere

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think that was the first time they did it.

and yeah, it's great to hear the stadium in unision (was that the first time since "if you want to beat the ___ clap your hands"??). Perhaps later on we could ease the PA out of it, but for now, it's almost a must.

Could we start a wave in the northend, or would that seem too hokey? We tried to do one pre-v army and it was ok for the time.

20. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the love of God! No WAVE!!!! That is the worst sports thing America has ever produced. I was ashamed when it reach France 98. Please spare Crew stadium of this scourge.

21. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No wave, do I look like a Mexican?

22. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

23. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Yeah, we already are tortured by the Crewzers....a wave would be too much.

24. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    just want to breathe some life into this thread...

The thing that worked best when we tried to do the "oh when the Crew" at the last match was when we had the drums behind us going. We're in serious need of a bass drum, if someone out there has a bass please bring it to the next match.

as for the one that is on the scoreboard, I think it works perfectly.

25. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we keeping the same game plan for the next home game and our cheer? 10, 35, & 55? Is there a chance that we'll have 107 helping out again?

As for bass... well I don't have any drums, but my car stereo kicks out a nice bit. Too bad we can't have somebody's woofer in there and then play some kind of background CD... then again, that might shake the stands apart and cause a horrific accident and make us WORLD FAMOUS!!!