Stadium watch- Cal Expo construction thread

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by 30King, Mar 7, 2014.

1. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless it's as easy as ordering some larger stands (a few more rows added at the tops), I can't imagine they could add a large number of seats in the corners alone. They'll need to take out or move half of the VIP section, similar to how Buck Shaw's south end has been split between a supporter's section and VIPs.

Hopefully it's as simple as fitting in seats in the corners. Corner "pieces" that can be slid right into the existing stands design.

2. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Personally, I think its as simple as adding 4-5 rows to the top of all the sections. I'm not an engineer, though.....

3. Hoopscoach

Hoopscoach Member

Jun 25, 2008
    California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS will not move the Chivas franchise out of LA. They will rebrand (LAFC or something like that), but the rights to LA are too valuable to MLS. Sacramento's best hope at MLS is expansion. I think it is going to come down to whether MLS places as much value in Sacramento as a market as it does in Minneapolis, St. Louis, Miami, etc. Obviously the benefit of Sacramento is that the market is not saturated like Minneapolis who has the Vikings, T-Wolves, Wild, Twins, and University of Minnesota. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as MLS finishes out this phase of expansion.

4. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't want to start another debate, but I think the value in LA is much more relative. I disagee that just being in abig market makes the team valuable. The Chivas brand is poisoned in the region, and they have no home. This is more than just a bad team rebrand, IMO. The million dollar question is whether slapping on a new name will bring back the fans and sponsors. A prospective owner is going to have to feel pretty comfortable with this, since they will have to build a new stadium too.

I think Chivas is a big uphill battle. I think the franchse should move. Even if not to Sac. LA will always be there, and willl be more attractive with a clean slate

5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is about the stadium, not MLS expansion. But I n short, MLS wants 2 franchises in LA and NY, as it should be. Sacramento's fate may not depend on other cities, but whether the league expands to more than 24 teams.

6. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QuietType repped this.
  7. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Sometimes fan support wins out. In two games, SRFC have drawn what some of the other USL teams will probably draw cumulatively for their entire home season. Right now, Republic FC stands at almost triple the home attendance of the next-best USL team, and at this point is also crushing the entire NASL in attendance as well.

Unfortunate but true - SRFC would have a legit shot at outdrawing the Earthquakes this year, were it not for the Furd and Levis games.

8. sugit

sugit Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Sacramento
  9. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    According to the article Knave posted it looks like the team might be playing at Hughes a little longer than expected.

"While the team is expected to play its first game at Cal Expo on June 7, the field may not be ready until later in the month. That means not only the Arizona United SC game could be at the larger Hughes Stadium, but the June 20 match against the Colorado Rapids Reserves and a June 26 rematch against Arizona United SC as well."

10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lame. I've gotten too used to stadium delays, it's almost expected now.

On the bright side, more bonus tickets? Higher average attendance? Those are about the only positives out of this.

11. sugit

sugit Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    That would be cool. I've got to bring a couple people that maybe would have not gone. They had a great time and I think they will be back again.

One thing I will miss about Hughes is the light rail...man, that is so easy to jump on and get dropped off right there within 8 mins of my place. I really hope SRFC / RT has some plans for at least some direct bus lines from Midtown / Downtown to Cal Expo

12. HectorF18

HectorF18 Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Just received an email that the opening date has been moved to June 20th. New tickets for the June 7th match will be printed and shipped to season ticket holders. Additionally, bonus tickets will be mailed out.

13. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, knew that was going to happen with the lack of progress they've made. I can't wait for them to he out of Hughes, the turf just kills me and kills good soccer.

HectorF18 repped this.
  14. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Went by there the other day. Still laying the sprinkler and drain pipes. Electrical also. Behind the webcam, they have a lot of the seating structure pieces.

A bit disappointed though. Want them out of Hughes. Great for attendance records, but sucks to watch soccer there.

15. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3:15 today, testing the sprinklers!

upload_2014-5-23_15-37-15.png

Revolt, SierraSpartan and sugit repped this.
  17. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the beginnings of bleachers...

upload_2014-5-27_16-13-10.png

Revolt and QuietType repped this.
  18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're going vertical!! :thumbsup::geek::)

mangerson repped this.
  19. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, minor updates to the artist's rendering...
    upload_2014-5-27_16-36-42.png
    LOL!

20. Kaece

Kaece Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    QuietType repped this.
  21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are those new buildings/tents in the VIP side? Bathrooms?

22. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Grass! Bleachers! :notworthy:

23. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So is this a better location than Hughes?

24. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    IMO, yes. It will definitely be easier to get in and out of.

The only thing I liked about Hughes was the attendance.