Stadium Wants/Needs/Must Haves

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Oct 30, 2018.

1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I googled Ponderosa Steakhouse and apparently they've combined with Bonanza tand the website is www.pon-bon.com

2. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha!!!

TKyle repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way. Since we were talking about all-you-can-eat stuff... Rodizio tonight.

87A5D07D-BB3B-4BF0-928A-115CF116CEE8.jpeg

FootyRef and Bill Archer repped this.
  4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the fridge?
    *Looks it up.*

Huh. Steak sauce is apparently supposed to be kept in the fridge. When I was growing up, it was a pantry item.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put it in burgers (not on them) sometimes. Yummy.

Draghignazzo, zman31 and TKyle repped this.
  6. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Growing up, my parents would often make kielbasa with mashed potatoes and peas for dinner. I would always put A-1 on my kielbasa.

7. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have walked by and peeked in numerous times since the window decals went up. It is still a raw tenant space, in a new building, at the corner of First Ave. and High St. Hopefully the Crew build out will begin soon. Looking forward to having that in my hood. I wonder if they will keep the space as a Crew gear shop after the new stadium ticket marketing is complete?

LaMacchia repped this.
  8. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    @WhiteHartShame West or East 1st Avenue?

9. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Northwest corner of West First Ave. and North High St.

DGA57v2 repped this.
  10. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Toledo. We have one Golden Corral that I know of. It has a widely known reputation as being a complete sh**show. Like the cops get called out there more often than should ever happen at a restaurant that is not a bar. One time a few years ago an all out brawl broke out involving many of the patrons...I'm talking like probably 30-50 people.

Classy joint.

11. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Ahhh.... The Joys of "Prime Rib" night.

Draghignazzo, Ueberjames and Tobias C repped this.
  12. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Years ago I had to defend a number of clients involved in a series of unrelated brawls that broke out at the local Chuck E. Cheese. It seemed like every few months adults were throwing down at the place. On the one hand, you have to deal with the bad optics of people fighting in a restaurant geared toward kids. On the other, anyone who has actually been to a Chuck E. Cheese and been subjected to the terrible music, bells, lights, and food for any length of time could understand how someone might be driven to the breaking point.

crew2112 and Tobias C repped this.
  13. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    I lived in lima from 0-18 and went to SGS but based on your other references, I'm guessing there's a bit of time gap between our tenures. Kewpee is obviously still around (I'm sort of meh on it, it's a good fast food option but still fast food and I like the options Happy Daz provides better) and I have some faint memories of HoJos (did the Holidome replace it?) but Burger Chef sounds like something you made up.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_Chef

There was one near my hometown I went to as a kid. They were pretty much gone by the early 80s.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That place (and Leaps & Bounds) used to give me the worst headaches.

16. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Oh I believed him, just being factitious since it appears this was all before my time and the Burger Chef name sounds like something made up for a bad TV show or something. I can't find evidence of when exactly it closed down but looks like it was located on 117 in Eastgate (coincidentally across the street from a Kewpee) which would make sense since that's where the HoJo was located too.

I've always found historical details about Lima interesting. I'm the youngest member of my generation and my dad was close to the youngest of his generation so I've had a lot of "whew boy was it ever better way back when" from older cousins and even more so from the uncles in the family. As far as I know, this is the first I've ever heard of Burger Chef.

EDIT: it's Christmas week, everyone's slow, let's really get the board cooking: Rank Swenson's, Kewpee, and Burger Chef!

17. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They actually upgraded their pizza a few years back.

Not saying it's Tommy's or anything, but it's edible now and, on a good day, probably better than most national chains.

18. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burger Chef used to be the #2 Burger Chain behind McDonald's. I believe they were the ones that invented the kid's meal and the combo meals that McDonald's later became known for. I will always remember that the Burger Chefs all over Western Ohio had collectible disc-shaped baseball cards for all the members of the Big Red Machine Era Cincinnati Reds. They also had a tie-in with the first Star Wars movie where you could get 4 different collectible posters. The ad featured C-3P0 and R2D2.

Sadly, Burger Chef got bought out by Hardee's and all the Burger Chefs got converted to Hardee's.

shoplifter and BigStern repped this.
  19. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    For years when Middletown High played a Lima high team the Middleton school bus would stop at kewpees restaurant in Lima! My second year as asst coach we made the trip to Lima but for some reason the players pissed off the head coach so we made the trip home without eating or stopping!

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want Mancy's, pay for Mancy's

Golden Corral is a Binge-and-Purge. Not quite a Ryans, but close.

When I worked in Reynoldsburg wed have our management meetings at Ryans. Didnt eat again for a couple days.

Tobias C repped this.
  21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was in college I worked at a PizzaHut. Only way I survived; you could eat all you wanted for free. Id go in early, have a meal, then have another when I got off.

It got so you hated everything on the menu. But there was a Burger Chef ( and Jeff!) a mile or so away and they had the same deal. So a couple times a week wed call over and arrange a food swap. Someone from one of the two places would drive past the back door of the other and hand us a bag of food in return for same.

Having a 20 year old digestive system came in handy.

22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Not all got converted. My town's Burger Chef just closed down. The recession of 82 hit hard there.

23. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My 1st grade soccer team - first time I ever heard of soccer - was sponsored by the local Burger Chef. I didn’t know much of the restaurant but I’ll forever tie Burger Chef to my love of the game.

24. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My team was sponsored by the Breakfast Optimist Club, so I always looked at the glass of orange juice as half full. I'll see myself out now.