Stadium Update

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by texgator, Nov 6, 2003.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yeah, a kids free, hardcore zone is absolutely neccessary. Hopefully team management will understand how this will benefit both the Inferno types AND the families. But I doubt it.

2. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I believe we (Inferno) sat where we'll be next season - at the last game. It's the first section of the South Reserved, closest to GA. This location eliminates virtually all of the previously mentioned "rugrats" situation.

Besides, most of the Inferno are standing and chanting, drumming, or just plain screaming. And rugrats are short ;)

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Soon it will be the rugrats going to Burn Mgt complaining about the Inferno making too much noise and running amok.

No doubt the days of a large hispanic walk up crowd are gone. But LA didn't shed their hispanic audience entirely.

As long as the Burn do it right - set up some GA areas with affordable tickets and put a quality product on the field, I think we can keep or bring back a good percentage of what we got at the Cotton Bowl.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you get over it. I'm not going to and until the Inferno moves to the South Side, probably even in the center of south side, then I won't be there either and I'll still complain. I don't care if the kids will be fans in 10 years, in 10 years there'll be more kids just like they were and the cycle goes on, and I'm suppose to be happy? Screw that.

5. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Efrean, ED is aobut two hours in a year of Property class, so you are not ready for the bar just yet.

Brushs, you mistke my post. If Frisco uses ED to get the property, they could say that Main Street will benefit from the hotel and bars that will open up. there is no ED situation beyond the land the city wants to put the stadium on. Remember, if 150% of the value of the property is correct, that number is assessed by the city. the owner might think it is undervalued, or the land might have some nonmonetary value to him. He might be holding out for a leasehold, but the very mention of ED strongly suggests Frisco wants a freehold.

Using ED, therefore, is an indirect benefit for the city. According to the strictist definition of ED, this is not justified by the ED. As the law has eveolved, however, ED means what the city wants it to mean, subject to a judge, who is bound by precident. Lucky we do not live in Louisianna or Quebec.

Heh. This is an amusing thread. Lawyers talking about justice.

6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who say the Hispanic fan will be gone from Frisco, aren't there big populations of Hispanics that live in the near-to-Fricso suburbs? Surely they would love to attend games at the new stadium.

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    A while ago I looked up Collin County demographics and there is a Hispanic population, but it is not sizable. I wish I could remember the numbers exactly, but I don't. I do recall that by 2005 Collin County could be up to 10% Hispanic. How many of those you can convert to regularly attending Burn fans remains to be seen.

8. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Living? No
    Working? Yes. It will be much easier for a roofing crew to make it to a game in Frisco right down the street rather than haulin their butt for an hour to get to the Cotton Bowl. What Dallas needs to do is make sure that they have players that the hispanics want to see for a price that is reasonable. It is so obvious, yet to date HSG seems blind to this.

PC NOTE:
    Before anybody gets offended with the stereotype, a huge percentage of the blue collar working population is hispanic. I just picked roofer as one out of many construction jobs.

9. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude - you're like 16 or 17.

To be honest - you're a rugrat yourself. How about we ban you?

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm 18, and go ahead, you'd be losing one of the biggest fans the team has.

I never said I wanted to ban the little punks, I just hate them running around and looking at me crooked everytime I yell. I guess I'm just in the wrong section.

I just hate it when people like you act like we're suppose to be cool with that crap atmosphere we call "home" and we should "look to the future", the future is crap. This sport will turn into Baseball if this keeps up. I don't mind the kids who really like the sport, but the other ones are just in the way. It's all a mute point because under this managment we're going to Southlake again next season and they are gunning for the money,not the passion.

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    So Burning, if you had it your way the stadium would be you and 300 other Burn fanatics yelling your heads off and the team would fold faster then you can say Tampa Bay Mutiny. Please, keep a big picture perspective here. This club is for anyone with $20 and a desire to see professional soccer in the metroplex, not just a few passionate fanatics who want football on their terms. Thank goodness for the soccer moms and the kiddies and the rugrats, they are keeping this franchise alive....barely. Is it possible that one day the stadium will be filled to the rafters with passionate fans chanting and screaming and waving flags? Sure, but not if the club goes under for lack of attendance.

12. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move to the GA section for crying out loud and quit complaining whenever a family comes to sit down next to you. That's what I did.

Actually I wish soccer games were 21 and over only. That way we could all punch each other in the face and hit each other the head with a 2x4 and do it in peace.

God willing, MLS will trun into baseball with media respect, nationally televised games, packed stadiums for the playoffs and decent TV $$$.

MLS and especially the Burn need to scrape for every dollar it can get. So if that means a mom and dad bring their 10 year old sonn and 7 year old daughter or the entire U-6 team, then we should thank them.

MLS can have it both ways - just like we did at the Cotton Bowl. 1/2 Family Side - 1/2 Festive Side. Both sides get what they want. The family side gets a festive game in their family-friendly environment and the festive side gets to make noise and keep a team because attandnace is okay.

In the mean time, you need to move sections. 18 year old high schoolers bitching about kids at games is just too ironic.

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those of us complaining about the kids aren't upset about the kids themselves; it's about the kids' behavior.

I've got 3 kids myself, and they've pretty much grown out of the run-around-mindlessly-when-bored stage (my youngest is 11). But when my kids were younger, I always tried to make sure they behaved reasonably well and didn't do anything to annoy the adults around them.

Now everyone expects kids to run around, etc, at a Chuck-E-Cheese or at a McDonald's on a Saturday morning.

But just like a good parent/chaperone will keep his kids well-behaved at a nicer restaurant or at non-kiddie movies, they should also keep their rugrats in line at a pro soccer match. A pro soccer match is not a playground!

I plan to email our new GM/President Greg Elliott regarding the annoying kiddie situation at Southlake, and I hope others of you will do the same.

As I suggested before, one thing that the Burn can hopefully do at Frisco is create some adult-friendly zones at the new SSS.

But in the meantime while we're still at Southlake, maybe Mr. Elliott can talk the ushers into doing their jobs and have them admonish the parents/chaperones of any little kids running wild.

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    IIRC, one of the endzones of the Frisco stadium has a large open, grassy area. Couldn't/shouldn't this be reserved as a place for the young uns to run around in? Maybe that would alleviate part of the problem right there. The kiddies get bored, take 'em to the grassy hill to romp around for a while. That, in combination with a "festive" or "adult only" section would probably be a pretty good compromise.

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

yes this would be good

I'm actually in college, but you're right theres no difference between me and these "rugrats" you keep refering to.

this is what I mean

ahh yes, lets build them a play ground while we're at it. Come on, I can't be the only sane one here.

Ok, I'm going to stop here before I make more enemies with fellow Burn fans. Bottom Line: The kids and parents money is great, and it's always good to have new fans but can you at least show them the game and make them sit still.

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Have you considered the fact that families might have more then one child? Maybe the younger one has absolutely NO interest in sports but the older one loves the game. It would be nice for the whole family to go without worrying about what to do when the younger one losses interest before the half. Just consider the dynamic of the average American family. It would be ridiculous for HSG, or any entertainment based organization, to ignore these facts of life. Are you actually saying you would object to kids running around in the grassy areas behind the goals?? How would this effect your game experience? Are you that obsessed with young children's lack of focus that this would ruin the game for you?

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    You know, now that I think about it I distinctly remember this from my youth: I used to go to local high school and college football games with my Dad, or my friends' parents. When we got tired of sitting and watching the games, we went over to an open area and tossed the ball around for a while. Slowly, we began to do this less and less as our appreciation of the game grew. Eventually, my friends and I grew up to be rabid football fans. So what was so wrong about that? This scenario plays itself out in ball fields all over the country and the world. Haven't you ever seen a group of kids at a ball game (any sport) tossing or kicking a ball around and NOT watching the game? Don't tell anyone, but I betcha it even happens in South America and Europe too.

I believe the children are our future, treat them well and let them into the games.......show the beauty the game possesses inside........

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the great Bill Veeck once said that if baseball teams only relied on true baseball fans to keep them in business, most baseball teams would be out of business by Memorial Day. And he said that in the '60s.

I pretty much subscribe to that philosophy when it comes to MLS, especially at this point in time. So I'll suffer through the rugrats' running around and causing me minor grief.

19. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea. And one plus you didn't mention -- on those rare occasions when a soccer match gets boring for a while, watching kids play tag on the hill or rolling down it will make for an entertaining diversion. :)

20. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    "The first 500 rugrats at Saturday nights game against the Smurfs get to beat the stuffing out of the Decker Dog for the entire game!"

Decker Dog is a trademark of some marketing moron. © 2005 Dallas Burn

21. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

This is after scipion and I run him over right?

22. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over/Under

Anyone want to hazard a guess on what date full bore construction starts on the stadium?
    Being a pessimist and with all the ED stuff bouncing around I predict Feb 3. Hope I am wrong!

23. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Over/Under

Feb 3 sounds about right. Unfortunately, if you are correct, my guess is that it will be very difficult for the Burn to complete construction on the stadium in time to have it ready early in the 2005 seaason.

Based on the time it took for Columbus to complete Crew Stadium (wasn't it 14 months or so?) and for LA to complete the HDC (a little less than 2 years?), I'd say that Dallas would want to start construction by the end of December in order to have the stadium ready to host its first game in May/early June 2005.

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    So if it's Feb 3 then that's just a month after you think it NEEDS to start? We just do as the Gals did this year and play our first month on the road.

25. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Re: Re: Over/Under

As far as the physical construction, I thinkit only took a year to build HDC. I remember seeing the first photos of the bowl being dug sometime around August 2002.