Stadium thread

Discussion in 'France' started by SportBoy333, Oct 14, 2007.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    2011 reportedly, which isn't farfetched, the musée des confluences...

[​IMG]

will probably be ready in a similar time frame.

mind you i'm in no hurry, first of all i thought the stadium would make a much bolder architectural statement (the first pictures looked very muck like the MdC, more angular and assymetric) and i'm a bit disappointed there. most of all décines is imo too far away, and i've found out that at best only 9000 of the 60000 capacity will be able to get to the stadium by public transport; and by means much less convenient than getting to gerland now. personally i'm hoping that the anti-OL-Land forces manage to force through a better access plan (metro) before the lights go green on this. it's crucial to the project's success.

2. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
  3. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    le vélo nouveau has been a promise for years now, just like a million others in marseilles... but it seems there's a giant sardine blocking the entrance to the port and they can't get the necessary materials in.

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yeah I'm sure the "new Stade du Ray" will be built first, right ? :rolleyes:

6. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As soon as the official shop will be open you'll can buy your copy of Duke Nukem Forever there, for sure. :D

7. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The future Grand Stade de Lille !

[​IMG]

Still quiet small, but I'm sure it will grow :D

8. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Thats a lousy design/rendering. Anyone have any more info ?

9. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is an article on the Lille site. It has went through another loop and looks like it will be constructed by 2011. There are several more pictures as well when you scroll down the page.
    http://www.losc.fr/?r=0,0,1,2235

10. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I wish Nice had the ambition that Lille has.

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Isnt there a basketball arena included in there somewhere that would be the largest in France ?

12. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so. From what I have read it looks like they can remove the field and create a basketball and handball courts.

Here are some other possible renderings of the stadium. There are three different sets of picture that go along with the three different models. Lille just took a vote and came up with the model as I have shown before.
    http://www.losc.fr/?r=0,0,1,2272

Also, I don't understand why Lille is constructing a huge stadium. Where will they get the fans to sit in the seats? Of course I think this is a huge improvement from our current stadium, but I just don't see this working out too well in the short run. Do you guys think they can get more fans just from this stadium.

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's rather attractive, but i prefer the last project from purely aesthetic point of view.

50,000 is a lot of people; the grimonprez-joris renovation project was only for about 30,000 which is already about twice the capacity of the place they're using temporarily. i'm sure that just bringing the LOSC back from the boondocks will have a big effect, but not THAT big, i don't see it getting filled week in and week out. still it's true that lille is a pretty vibrant and ambitious city and you can understand them wanting a stadium akin to lyon's or marseilles', even if only for occasional events like euro 2016, or the olympics one day... they've bid for them in the past.

14. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    A new stadium creates an effect: more people are tempted to go in a big, beautiful, modern, attractive arena with many shops and snacks for all family, than in a Stadium Nord or even Grimonprez-Jooris - which wasn't really an exciting stadium.

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    No French stadiums are filled week in and week out. If they spend the money on players and put a championship quality team out there then people will show up. From what I understand it seems that this region is the biggest footballing area in France which means they could fill the stadium unlike some other places like the southwest or northwest or northeast which dont have the interest to fill a 50,000 seat stadium for any team. Lille has a heck of a better chance of filling a large stadium like this than a Toulouse, Bordeaux, Nice or a Strasbourg. In the south coast only OM can average over 30,000 fans per match and theres no one else there who is capable of that but up north Lens and Lille can both do it. Paris cant do it either.

16. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As I wrote above, many French stadiums are old and obsolete. The German Arenas have brought many people to see the Bundesliga. On the contrary, the Italian stadiums are even older than ours and make an even feebler attendance. When it will be the MMArena, the Partouche Stadium and the Ticket Restaurant Arena in place of Léon-Bollée, Stadium Nord and Gerland, I'm sure it will be absolutely different from now.

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    What about Nice ?

18. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certaintly hope Lille will have a bigger turn out than the average 12,000 fans a game. I think they are capable of doing this because of their market. I found a video of the new stadium as well. It shows how they can transform the stadium into a basketball court. It looks very similar to Lyon's new stadium and they appear to be part of the new era of stadiums in France.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF_5cyYHUT4

19. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I hope the Lille basketball team gets to play there. They are in the 3rd division but that court could help them rise to the top of French basketball and in Europe.

[​IMG]

http://lille.basket.free.fr/

20. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I have looked for information and it appears it will be difficult for them. Their matches are played on Saturday at 8.00pm, the same hour than most of LOSC's. Unless the hour changes until the opening of the stadium, which is possible with the new tender of the LFP.

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    but neither plays all their matches at home. in milan and inter can share san siro i imagine they could work something out.

that said, i'm not sure it's a great idea. most big-time european basketball venues are about 5000 seats, and even these don't get filled very often. only two or three spanish clubs and macabee tel aviv have followings bigger than this. i would think a D3 club would play before a few dozen spectators; VBC here in vaulx-en-vélin is D2 and their gym is only about half what my high school had.

22. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    When hens will fly and pigs have teeth ;) Or the contrary.

23. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I dont know why this new stadium would contain a basketball arena if they didnt plan on having a team play there. I think I read on that Lille basketball team website they average 450 per game which is more than a few dozen and the site said thats the highest average in their region. Obviously I wouldnt expect them to try to play until until they made the top division.

I think that 5,000 number you threw out there is a bit low. I think its closer to 7-8,000 for the top European teams on average. CSK Moscow is the only top European team that plays in a 5,000 seat gym. Supposedly there was a movement to make it so that you need at least a 10,000 seat arena to play in the Euroleague but I dont think they'd be able to enforce that rule.

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you're right 5000 is a bit low, in france most big teams have arenas more like 6000, and in pau they can seat over 8000... for the nord-pas de calais the biggest b'ball draw would be gravelines whose place holds 3500.

here's euroleague attendance for a couple seasons ago.

http://217.13.116.51/noticia.jsp?temporada=E04&jornada=24&id=545

and it seems in greece there have even been a few matches with attendance near 20.000... but you can't compare the furor for basketball in greece or israel with france.

mind you, there are advantages to smaller venues; ASVEL plays in a great little arena without a bad seat in the house.

25. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    A long time ago I pmed you a question about French basketball and you never responded.