Stadium Statement from Garber on MLSnet

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Viking64, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    His State of the League Address included the following...

"We continue to make progress with our discussions with two specific communities in North Dallas. The tax incentive structure in place in Texas is perfect for the public/private partnership we need to have a new facility for the Burn. We expect to have an update in Dallas in the late fall of this year. We continue to forge ahead with discussions in Kansas City and here in the Capital Region."

Which explains why some people heard Grapevine/Colleyville, others heard I-35 at 635 (which could be any one of 3 cities because they all run together there), and still others heard another location. The team's reps are working two deals to ensure one gets done. While I'm disturbed about late fall, at least he's got the security to mention it.

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, the Cowboys were trying to get one of the Dallas suburbs to pay most of the costs for a $500 million stadium for the 'Boys (Irving, Arlington, and Grapevine were some of the towns mentioned). But I haven't seen anything on this in the newspaper recently. Has Jones struck out on finding a sucker to build his team a stadium?

If so, a $50 million SSS might look like a pretty good deal to a town like Grapevine that seems interested in putting itself on the map. Plenty of sales tax dollars are already being generated by Grapevine Mills Mall and they've also got that Opryland hotel/resort slated to open in 2004 that should generate a nice stream of visitor taxes.

3. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Arlington, among others, is still waiting for Jerry to move ahead. They are waiting on their knees, to be honest.

Which is interesting...all the collateral development that was PLANNED and PROMISED around the Ballpark in Arlington is...still planned. Maybe the public debate won't be as nice as people think.

Yea, I think Grapevine is a serious candidate because their sales tax revenues are so good.

4. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    That grapevinemills area would be perfect, its w/i reach of the Dallas Parkway, the George Bush, 35, 635 & 183 by less than 20min. It's a nice central location w/ lots of growth potential, yet doesn't yet have the obtrusive congestion we see in plano,addison & mckinney. More improtantly that area has 100k people in it. (lewisville,grapevine, colleyville) that can support an influx of weekend visitors. The infrastucture need some modification on 121, but otherwise is perfect. 35/635 juncture is nice too, but I have to wonder how the city council of farmers branch would react to a weekend influx of an additional 20k people to a town that already balloons to 500k during business hrs. They are pretty permissive as to which businesses can operate w/in their zones(considering the local adult establishments/I think that is on the dallas city line). But that area would need massive gentrification b4 they could break ground ala American Airlines Center.

I hope this one doesn't flounder, like the heavily flawed mckinney project. My folks live near southlake & I live close by, so either way I win. Joyous day!

5. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Actually, " Beltline and Stemmons was mentioned". Then someone translated that into 635 and Stemmons.

Beltline and Stemmons is North of 635 and Stemmons and not in Farmersbranch. It is in Carrollton primarily.

6. hookemhorns25

hookemhorns25 Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Garland, Texas
    Any update on this? Or do we just have to wait until after the season?

7. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I don't expect anything before the off-season. It's now dragged on the entire season, so what's the rush? If they actually get it done, they will use the announcement in a major push for season ticket sales, which is the off-season.

I am pretty put off that the ownership question is unresolved.

8. I hope you guys get your stadium, but I've been hearing about these future stadium announcements for 3 years now for the metrostars.

9. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    u would think, with the national coverage the metros get, that they would 'get-the-job-done' where a stadium is concerned... it just 'shows-to-go' me that the league still isn't in 'good-enough' shape to expand to the next level and provide state-of-the-art facilities for the future success of the MLS.

10. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Kanduhar/Grapevine/Kanduhar/Grapevine...

I can't decide which I like more...

11. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You bring good points, but that's actually an understatement of the area population. I'd put it closer to 200 or 225k.

12. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Re: Re: Stadium Statement from Garber on MLSnet

Coppell :)

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Stadium Statement from Garber on MLSnet

You live in Coppell too?

So do I!

14. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    I've got my idea too. How about in Grand Praire? Along I-30 where the horse racing track and next stage are?? Its easy access and looks to me to be in the midddle of the metro-plex. Good local for me..