Stadium Problems

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by houston_fc, May 10, 2005.

1. houston_fc

houston_fc Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Since DC United is struggling a bit with co-sharing RFK Stadium with the Nationals, why doesn't the club use FedEx Field from April through August, then use RFK Stadium for the remainder of the season? At least until the Nationals move into their own ballpark or until United gets their own SSS, whichever comes first. This would reduce the amount of field conversions at RFK; and since the Redskins don't even use the field until late August, there would not be any gridiron lines on the field. Do you think this has been considered?

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1. The field dimensions at FedEx are no longer appropriate for Soccer thanks to the "dream" seats added by Danny.

2. Dan Snyder = $$$$$$$$$$$$

3. Changing stadiums back and forth is a really, really good way to disenfranchise a fan base. Just ask Dallas.

3. DC_Gunner

DC_Gunner New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    DC / Cambridge, MA
    Also central metro access is priceless. also soulless 80, 000 seat fedex would kill the atmosphere. AlsoDC United is not a white person circa 1970 and therefore does not feel the need to go running to the suburbs.

4. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that the United front office has only considered this in passing.

All in all the situation at RFK is not that bad. They've gone through some growing pains, but they've only gone through the process a couple of times, and each time it's better.

Now I'll list issues of why we can't go to FedEx.

1. It's friggin huge. It seats more than 80k. With 20k in the seats, we'll rattle around in there.

2. By going to MD, the team will not draw as heavy from the District, or Virginia. I know the stadium is now Metro accessible, but I get the feeling that the extra hassle might not be worth it to some fans.

3. We'd be giving money to Danny Snider, and well, I don't think some folks would be happy with that.

4. The playing surface will more than likely be smaller than Spartan. When the Women's World Cup was played there, there was a lot of mention that the field was just barely the minimum dimentions for international play. The corner areas were very hockey like in that you couldn't see the play in the near corners, and that they were right up against the walls of the stadium. Since that time the Skins have added two permanent rows of seats to the bottom of the lower bowl.

5. By going to a third party, DC United would essentially be turning their backs on the DC Sports and Entertainment Commision (the folks that own/run RFK, and likely any new venue). If we cut ties with these folks, that's it, we're not coming back.

United has shown class and professionalism in adapting to the Nationals migration. This is only going to pay off for the team in the long run.

5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    That post is exactly why Houston does not have an MLS franchise. Let's look at the successful shared venue teams of the past -- the Kansas City-Omaha Royals? It's all about brand identity and a fixed location. Hey, I've got a great idea, let's hold the games at places TBA, we'll let everyone know the exact location of the game the week before. Idiot.

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually, FedEx field seats over 90k, not 80k.

7. houston_fc

houston_fc Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Oh, I get it. Becuase of my post on BigSoccer, Houston does not have an MLS club. I've been wondering about that for 10 years and you finally answered my question. Thanks!

8. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Simply put, we're not struggling that much.

9. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I thought that all of the on-field problems have been pretty much ironed out. Besides, I've been to two of the three home games so far this year and my experience was just as good, if not better, than most of the ones that I went to last year.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Ironing out the kinks" is not "struggling."

11. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I agree. Plus, I can now buy Guiness, Harp, or Smtihwick's (or all three, just not at once, though, because the limit is two per person per trip... ;)) at the stadium. :D

12. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I'm gonna flip if I see someone toss a Guiness after a goal!!!!! :)

13. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I don't care if someone tosses a Guiness after a goal...

Now if they toss a Guinness™ after the goal - we'll have words!

:D

:rolleyes:

14. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rev, I think there are about 5 people in the DC forum that actually know how to spell Guinness properly!

15. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    They must be teh only sober ones areound here!

16. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    It would truly suck to be stuck out in Raljon playing on the spartan stadium-esque postage stamp, getting our wallets picked by the crook Snyder. I'd rather have my wallet picked outside of RFK by someone who needs the money.

Cheers,
    Tim

17. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I guess that rules you out. ;)

Just kidding. I would hate to play in FedUp Field. I've only been there for the 2000 HFStival, but that was enough. God(s) willing, I'll never darken the door of that monstrosity again.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Shylock Synder will never see a dime of my money.

Sachin

19. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so, I'm drunk every match home or away. I just know how to spell Guinness, but anything else... well, let's just say I didn't make it very far in the spelling bee.

20. The Equalizer

The Equalizer New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    No. VA
    Well you don't spell it, son, you drink it!

21. jppp

jppp Member

Jul 3, 2003
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Ha white flight ! very funny . . ..