Stadium News XVI:: Yes Virginia, There is NO Santa Claus

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Continuing this tangent... isn't there a Camden Yards-ish minor league baseball stadium in Durham complete with brick exterior and offices looking into it? I think it was Durham. I'm pretty sure it was one of those things I've wanted to see for years, but never got around to.

2. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As if DCU needed to play in an even more dangerous part of the country.

3. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Durham Bulls Athletic Park is a Mini-Camden Yards.

4. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha... The worst parts of Durham are a Country Club compared to the worst parts of DC.

5. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If it is okay with folks, I'm going to un-sticky this thread for now so we can sticky the license plate thread.

Thanks.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may not meet your criterion of what a "people" is, but I'm all for it :)

7. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry if I'm bringing up a touchy subject for one more tiem than is necessary, but I've been away from BigSoccer for a while... but is the Poplar Point stadium proposal now dead?

8. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've heard of near-death experiences. Poplar Point is walking toward the white light and is pretty much there...

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, that bastard Fenty is romancing Obama.

Barack, don't associate with liars, please.

9. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That sucks - but alternatively, if Obama is sympathetic to United (as opposed to the Fire) maybe him talking to Fenty would be a good thing?

Yeah, I know. You don't need to answer that.

But, another question - is there something going on with the Nats and the District, regarding that new ballpark of theirs?

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Please take your baseball questions to the Washington Nationals Fan Forum. There you're much more likely to get a kind answer than on a DC United's stadium thread, for some very obvious reasons.

You're playing with fire here, although this thread is so pointless that it shouldn't really make any difference what's posted here...and we've collectively proved that often in past versions of this long-running travesty.

I'm sure the Nat's forum folks would be glad to answer your question. It's an interesting and frustrating story. Just ask them what they think of their team's owners.

That should be fun.

Let's just say that our stadium/owner situation is much preferable to theirs...and they've got a brand new stadium :p

11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Actually - Its not just the "Stadium Proposal" thats dead but pretty much the development of anything substantial right now - Since this is still US Park Service land (NOT a US Natl Park, just land used by the US Park Service for maintenance vehicles and a heliopad), Congress put in the Land Swap Bill that any re-zoning plan for substantial development must be approved by the US Secr of Interior and must include the relocation of the heliopad to somewhere else nice in the District - And since the land used to be a munitions factory and dry cleaning facility for the military back 40-60 years ago, there are also big concerns about the Environmental Impact Statement - So ANYTHING is just not there for a few more years

The proposal for redevelopment was won by Clark Associates who've partnered with MacFarlane/Chang currently and in the past, so a stadium could be included in any final proposal and actually built on Poplar Point - And since DC United is willing to build the stadium/etc itself with its own money, the stadium could be the very first thing that does get built there - All that is pretty hopeful speculation - While I'm pretty hopeful, I'm also realistic in thinking that there's only about a 1/4-1/3 chance of this happening within 3-5 years - The amount of time the construction of some stadium must be started before a drop-dead date

(Back a while ago, there was some rumors about somebody thinking about sneaking in some stores (boxing?/packaging?/package?) along Howard Rd without the need for big infrascture improvements - Haven't heard anything since then, but if realized it would have hurt the argument for needing infrastructure improvement and killed any substantial development)

12. Boda United

Boda United Member

Apr 18, 2003
    No. Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late, he's from the Democratic Party of Illinois. "Nuf said :rolleyes:

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why this piece of folklore won't die.
    IF MacFarlane Partners, LLC had been given development rights to Poplar Point, and the density VIctor wanted had been approved THEN DC United Holdings LLC would have been willing to pay for the stadium and hotel, as long as significant infrastructure was put in place by the city.

Once the land development rights were auctioned off, DCU is no longer willing to pay for the stadium. Completely, anyway.

14. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hi there everyone.

Just a quick thread interruption to remind folks that, should this thread venture a bit too far into partisan politics, it will get moved to the Politics subforum.

And we don't want that. ;)

Thanks.

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What? You don't ItN's views on Poplar Point, Eleanor Holmes Norton and The Barra?

:D

16. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As fun as that could possibly be - no. :D

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, "we" most certainly do not want that. :p

18. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be worse. She could throw all of us into the USA Men: News & Analysis forum :eek:

19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even Cheney would find that "cruel and unusual" :eek:

20. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    just for total fantasy purposes...would the possibility of georgetown football going div-1A (instead of 1AA) give us a shot at possibly getting a stadium, ala HDC?

21. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .....where brain cells check in, but brain cells don't check out.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    shun!

23. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And talk about a traffic mess...plus Foggy Bottom being the closest Metro stop.

UUUUGGGGHHHH

That's no fantasy, that's a legitimate nightmare.

24. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They shouldn't even be 1-AA, let alone 1-A. And their campus is accessible to no one (except their students).

25. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I being too optimistic in hoping that O'Malley's plan for sustainable growth (Washington Post: O'Malley Touts Plan for 'Sustainable Growth) contains something for us?

The on-line piece links to his press release, which contains this section:
    Hmmm. New legislation that includes 'maximizing use of Maryland's existing and planned transit investments' to address growth challenges. And tax increment and special taxing districts. And cooperative funding arrangements between State and local governments.

Sounds like Greenbelt to me :D