Alert: Stadium News, Speculation and Possible Truthiness XXV: The Secret Word is... Possibilities.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That is actually, in a perverse way, the most positive Gray has sounded about the possibility. His tone was way more practical than usual, and the raw number of words is at least a little different than a guy for whom I can't remember the last time he uttered more than three sentences about the team. Lastly, the statement that he needed to meet with the team seemed new; in the past, the attitude of the Gray administration and of Fenty's later administration was that the team needed to come up with a reason to get in his front door.

Not that this is anywhere close to a 'stadium deal'--it's not even stadium talks. And DCU is in a bit of a holding pattern waiting for the economy to come around, as well as something of a Catch-22 where a stadium deal needs more investorship, and investorship is probably looking for a stadium deal to get interested.

I remember that latter scenario from the Dallas Burn back in the day, when the intimation was that either Tom Hicks or Mark Cuban would be willing to look at investing in the team if they already had a stadium, but a team with no owner wasn't very well placed to get one. (The combination of ambitious exurbs, first McKinney and then Frisco, easy access to tax increment financing, high school districts willing to front money for a facility they can use, and Lamar Hunt ended up breaking that logjam.)

3. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You touched on a key point here, too: now, while the economy is down (and real estate values are low) is the time to make this kind of investment to maximize profitability. It is a cruel coincidence that this is exactly when most investors have the least capital to actually invest. :rolleyes:

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Absolutely. Real estate market is depressed, construction costs are lower, and the 'temporary jobs' people usually turn their noses at actually mean something. Whether we're talking government or private sector, if you had the cash, this would be a great time to get moving. If.

5. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Remember that scene from "It's a Wonderful Life"? When others are panicking, Potter's buying...

6. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The real estate market is not depressed in the core of Washington DC - where everyone wants United to build a stadium. That is one of the major problems with this project (well, non-project) - land is too valuable here. Even well after the real estate crash a few years ago. Not all markets are built the same.

The only positive about the downturn is some land (like Buzzard Point) might be available for a price, whereas in 2008 even finding the space to build an expensive stadium was tough. Even that large swath of Ward 8 was seen as land that couldn't be "given away" by Fenty in a sweetheart deal. Sad thing is, if United was able to bring that kind of plan to Gray's desk now - he'd probably be delighted (depending on that old "infrastructure" chestnut). Gray just told us what we should already know - if we want a stadium in the city, get a sh*tload of private cash together and talk to me then.

7. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    More from Stouffer
    and a follow-up of his
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/penalty-kicks/2011/10/dc-united-and-rfk-stadium

8. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I sure hope you aren't trolling this thread, since, as a moderator, you are held to a higher standard around here.

Yep, I sure do hope you aren't trollin'.

9. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And on that note, I think we'll be in need of new thread here shortly. I know it is tough, especially when we go for such long stretches with little to no new info, but let's try to stay focused and on topic mmk? Mmk.

And I thank you for your cooperation.

Go here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1831169