Alert: Stadium News, Speculation and Possible Truthiness XXV: The Secret Word is... Possibilities.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I just remember the PG County cluster**** with all the photo ops and interviews and such. Personally I think it would better serve the fans if Goff wouldn't even send out tweets or publish any non-concrete news. It serves no purpose.

2. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All it takes is that key investor to be found, imo. Then things start to happen. Obviously municipal commitments are worthless.

- HDC
    - Toyota Park
    - DSG Park
    - Jeld-Wen Field
    - PPL Park

etc., etc.

Whether something is actually happening or not, it's always going to seem to happen just like this you know? If Chang really did find that key investor we're not going to know about it until it's a done deal.

Personally, I think "Ben's Chili Bowl" is an awesome name for a stadium.

1 person likes this.
  3. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i'm not sure i understand your logic here. the city of portland has owned Jen-Weld field since the 1930s--surely they had some sort of commitment to the timbers. the city of bridgeview owns toyota park, deleware county owns PPL park. dsg is owned by commerce city.

it would seem a municipal commitment was very important

4. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh... well I believe I have thoroughly demonstrated that I don't really know sh!t about stadiums. I thought most of the money thrown at building/opening those places came from the named sponsor/investor? And that in those cases the municipal commitment was limited to the land they were using.

But I guess I'm pretty far off the mark with that.

5. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Methinks Señor Goff got a woodie writing that...

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Señor Goff is the biggest stick in the mud when it comes to this team. He goes out of his way to make sure everyone knows he's not a fan of the team. Just doin' his job....

7. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i think that is the essence of the deal Redbull has with Harrison. The City of Harrison bought the land and turned it over to redbull, who built the stadium on it. harrison borrowed money to buy the land in the expectation new condos/housing and retail would open near the stadium allowing them to service the loan to buy the land. that hasn't worked out...

8. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A lot of beat writers get glum and lack enthusiasm when they're writing about teams that are in the sh*tter (sorry but RFK + lack of success on the pitch + dwindling attendance = in the sh*tter). Happens in all sports.

9. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd rather have that than the over the top love for NYRB Ives has despite his claims of neutrality.

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    But he keeps thumping his chest, has since day one. We get it, you have no love for the team, fine.

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likewise. Am solidly in the camp of 'shovels/ground', and not ceremonial ones. Been following United from afar since the start, and y'all are so deserving of a stadium, it's sad that it's taking this long.

12. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be sweet...

13. trevor_daniles

Aug 19, 2007
    Hey DCU fans, has anyone seen this?:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7EHNievPmc"]united stadium. united station. - YouTube[/ame]

I think this is an awesome idea.

14. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Graduate school. Cruel for so many reasons.

16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I need a tissue...

17. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos to the creator.

18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I'll believe there is a new stadium when my fat, pimply ass is sitting in one of the seats. Until then, a new stadium is vaporware.

19. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you under the impression that someone was saying there is a new stadium?

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what a brilliant presentation! The stadium is sited where there already are two "stadiums" (the practice field and its neighbor), and Metro would stop at the upper stand. Parking below, Metro above, no change to the utilization of the land - what's not to like, except that it doesn't have a chance of success?

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    No, I'm responding to the hype du jour regarding Buzzard's Point. I won't believe an announcement, I won't believe it when construction begins, I'll only believe there is a new stadium when I'm sitting in it. Look, I really hope there is a new stadium soon, one at Buzzards Point would be nice -- hell one in Baltimore would be nice, in fact a new SSS anywhere in the metro area would be nice. It's just that DCU management has zero credibility in my book regarding stadium "plans" and "announcements."

22. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it wouldn't be "nice."

And that's not the "metro area."

1 person likes this.
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you are a corporate-suite-occupying type of fan, a new stadium won't be all that nice at all in reality.
    It'll be good for the team's ongoing bottom-line, so it's good in a second- or third-hand sort of way. But you'll no longer be driving right up near the stadium in your car, your tickets are going up in price, your seats are likely being moved behind a goal somewhere and you'll be eating and drinking corporate food and beer at some (hopefully near-by) bar or inside the stadium instead of tailgating with your old friends or meeting new ones.

Careful what you ask for :)

1 person likes this.
  24. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^behind the goal is not a bad thing at all

25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Meh, still better than no team at all.

Wait until you hit your 40s and your eyes start to change so you can't see the other end of the field...

But yeah, I'll believe it when (if) I see it.