Alert: Stadium News, Speculation and Possible Truthiness XXV: The Secret Word is... Possibilities.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My crane fell. :(

1 person likes this.
  2. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

wow - talk about a great set-up line

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  4. "username"

"username" Member

Northern Virginia United
    United States
    Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to startle anyone, but i believe there are three cranes...

5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Just read on Goff's blog that there is a college football game at RFK today. Great. Can't wait to see those lines...

6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to it. As soon as I read the article in the WaPo (a "rivalry game between Howard and Morehouse), all I could think of was "Great, now the field will have football lines for the rest of the season."

I am so tired of this shit.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I thought we had this discussion months ago. FWIW, tickets on Groupon were only $8. I might go if I weren't in Greenville. The ACC comish was recently interviewed several times promoting their bowl game at RFK too.

8. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
  9. Jester64

Jester64 Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    1 person likes this.
  11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    According to the article .....

12. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they're going to hose the restrooms down then put a pack of seat liners in every other one?

13. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well that will make for a great first impression for my first games at RFK. Hopefully, they'll have faded by the time I get there for the CUSA and RSL matches.

14. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    After reading the article I thought RFK would be drawing a huge crowd. Nope, 18K for this "big" game.

15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I bet the field is trashed, big game or not. :(

16. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way there was that many there today. I watched the first few minutes just for that.

17. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    First, Howard and Morehouse are far from athletically renowned universities - so 18,000 is pretty big for them. And that's higher than most United attendances this season. Also, the game is more of a social event for alumni, who probably weren't rushing to get into their seats during the first few minutes of the game.

18. United Fanatic

United Fanatic New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would much rather an American Football game be held elsewhere. The field will now be torn up and have those damn lines on it. RFK hosting a game like this has no benefit for United. Those awful lines only remind us that we don't have our own stadium. On a bright note, I figured how to pay for the our new stadium. We can take the 235 million that Howard University receives each year from the Federal Government and use that to pay for the complex!

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think we all would, unfortunately the DCSEC doesn't give a damn about what we or the DCU FO thinks. It's their building to do what they please with.

20. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the subject of this thread: Not a peep in months about anything stadium-related (since the March interview with Will Chang, I think). I sure hope he is close to bringing on a new, deep-pocketed partner...or even selling the team to someone with the money to build a stadium. I've always liked him as an owner but something needs to happen (that doesn't include Baltimore).

Please indulge my venting. I know I'm not adding anything of substance myself.

To end on a positive note, substantial strides have been made on the field. Maybe in a few years we'll look back at 2010 as the low water mark for the club...and the ascent back to the top has begun. :)

Yep. That's what I'm going with.

21. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Chang is bringing in new investors or selling the team, it's likely going to happen very quietly until it's announced to the public. Something like that is a lot easier to keep quiet than stadium planning.

I'm not saying this is in the works, just that silence on this front can mean many things. Silence on the stadium issue is probably a sign that there is nothing going on.

But I'm of the opinion that a stadium deal can't happen unless the team gets big-money owners.

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if it's the deeper-pocketed or well-connected new investor who wants to move to Baltimore? Still eager to have him on-board?

23. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium deal publicity certainly hasn't helped them in the past, so the silence makes sense whatever they are or are not up to. It's just frustrating as a supporter.

Yep.

Nope.

24. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that Baltimore would be an attractive market for a big-money owner. I just don't see someone spending millions to buy an MLS team, then moving it to a second-tier market.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If DC won't build a stadium, it will become a 3rd-tier market making Baltimore look better - or maybe the investor could just be a big-money Baltimore guy. No major DC guy would own a piece of a Baltimore team and I am sure the same is true for a big Baltimore guy buying into a DC team.

I'm just talking hypothetically, but you make a giant leap there I do not necessarily agree with.