Stadium News and Speculation XXIV: Where Newbies Go to Get Flamed

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by millwalldavey, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Stadium News and Speculation XXIV: In Buzzard We Trust?

Yeah, I think you're right.

My prediction: Whatever happens on stadium-or-move front, the real news is going to drop like a bomb. KP and Chang are likely doing their level best to keep all of this out of the media (it's only hurt them in the past). Other than being happy to let it out that Baltimore is wooing them they don't want leaks.

This year or next an announcement will come out of the blue that a new partner is on board and a tentative stadium agreement has been reached with DC, or...they're folding their tent and moving to Baltimore (or wherever).

Meanwhile, any tiny bit of near news gets us creating a dozen new pages in this thread.

With all that said, though, I'm just relieved that it appears that DCU is still making a serious effort in DC.

2. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you're counting on too much support from the District government.

3. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Picturesque? The Anacostia? How long have you been here? :D

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Accessibility is a valid criterion for choosing a site, but when you don't have sites to choose from and the accessibility is being overblown (20 minutes is not a marathon), the criticism is valid, especially since we don't even know if this is a viable plan, but we already have fans bemoaning accessibility which hasn't been determined yet.

5. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Meh, whatever it's failings, the DC government isn't going to let potential visitors (and tax revenue) get scared off.

Anyway, looking at that route, the only place you'd need to put cop cars is along the Potomac Avenue stretch. The walk from the Metro down South Capitol is fine.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

I've seen the walk from the Metrorail station to Buzzard Point described as a marathon. Why would United even consider that location?:rolleyes:

7. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

Can somebody come get me when the first shovel goes in the ground?

8. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Accessibility is indeed crucial in choosing a site - moreso because it completely changes the program of a stadium that you'd eventually build.

Nationals Park is a great example - they horrendously over-estimated the parking they'd require. The run-up to the first games were filled with doom and gloom about traffic armageddon. Never happened.

The best part about Buzzard Point is the likelyhood that Nationals games and DCU games would never be simultaneous, therefore things like parking could be used for both facilities.

9. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

That should be a HECK of a tailgate party!

10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

[Refer back to the image posted by Lord Batu on the previous page]

The Waterfront-SEU Metro stop at 4th & M St, SW is just straight up 4th St (in the upper-left corner) - I presume the Navy Yard Metro stop is just the other side of M St right at the ballpark - They would seem to be the same distance to the pictured DCU stadium site - And the walk from Waterfront would be down through residetial/condos and along the wall of Ft McNair - A lot more pedestrian friendly

11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well I was joking. Sorta. Cause you mean like they're not going to let visitors to RFK walk through dark parking lots?

But anyway, hell, I've been more or less hassled by street kids on the way to the Armory station. And heaven forbid you decide to walk to the next closest station. Last time I did that with a group of 6 people we got rocks thrown at us, including down the escalator.

I think people should stop worrying about this stuff.

12. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC

The Nats will schedule their games when they want, without regard to what DCU is going to do. And their lease gives them complete flexibility to do that.

So if the games won't be simultaneous, it will be because DCU either voluntarily agrees, or is forced, to schedule all their games when the Nats are on the road. Wasn't that one of the team's major complaints about the sharing arrangement though?

13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The walk to/from Waterfront-SEU is the one people were talking about as going through a dodgy neighborhood, not the walk to/from Navy Yard. I'm a regular participant on the MPD-1D mailing list; a lot of the traffic on the list deals with incidents in that part of SW.

14. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Losers can't be Choosers.

Let's get a stadium deal done. There will be time enough to worry about the details later.

15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

The color of the seats is garish. I'll never go.

16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When I lived at Fort McNair a LONG time ago 4th Street was a nice neighborhood. Then the redevelopment Nazis decreed that the whole area should essentially be razed in favor of large apartment buildings with green space between the blocks. The area soon went to hell. I think things are better now.

17. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

No, the Nats do not have complete flexibility to schedule as they'd like. I don't know if that's due to lease restrictions or whether it was a voluntary agreement with the city, but during that first season the Nats agreed to have zero weekday day games as a means to help avoid the predicted traffic doom that never happened.

I'd also note that having games be non-simultaneous does not mean they can't be on the same day - Baseball game at 1:05, Soccer at 7:05. Easy as pie. Unlike sharing at RFK, you don't need to switch the field around - instead, you're talking about using the same parking spaces.

I don't think it would be that big of a deal. If a few games are simultaneous, then they'd find a way to deal with it.

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

are they still running shuttle buses from RFK lots to National's Stadium on ballgame days? if United builds in SW (or in DC anywhere really), there would be the potential for shuttles from the RFK lots, one would assume (and more shuttles on days when both the MLB and MLS games coincided). (not that Metro trains, streetcars, pedicabs, driving, boating, biking, walking to Buzzards Point wouldn't/couldn't be able to handle the majority of the spectator traffic for events and match dates at a new stadium for United.)

19. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

No, they stopped that this past season.

That provision was again part of the feared traffic DOOM that never came to fruition.

For a DCU stadium, shuttles certainly would be an option - either from remote parking lots or from nearby Metro stations.

20. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd be happy to see both the Nats and DCU commonly have games on the same day. I think having that many sports fans out and about would be a great atmosphere. And it would certainly raise DCU's visibility if we were taking the trains with Nationals fans (not that DCU and Nationals fans are mutually exclusive).

21. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.crimereports.com/

I'm not in District anymore, using above looks like a lot of car theft near Nationals stadium
    I'm ok with that - when I'm in town, I use the metro.

22. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Looks like transit riders could take the 71 bus from the Waterfront Metro station "down The Buzzard"

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu

Doesn't this bus eventually run all the way up Georgia Ave to Silver Spring?

24. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for that.

So it's easily sellable to folks who go to Nats games -- "the new United stadium is just two or three blocks from home plate."

25. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Yeah, it's that line. Pretty long haul from SS, but might be a reasonable way for folks in Petworth or Shaw to get to a game.