Stadium News and Speculation XXIV: Where Newbies Go to Get Flamed

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by millwalldavey, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X@V!3R

X@V!3R Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Land of the Lost
    Re: Stadium News and Speculation XXIV: Vote for a New Front Office!

Well, uhm, yeah ...

"D.C. United never brings anything to the table," one city official told NBC4, speaking on background because he was not authoriized to publicly comment.​

D.C. United's New Home Could Be in SW
    NBC Washington

2. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

At this point, so long as it's in the District, a muddy field marked off by traffic cones would do for me. They could even use t-shirts as goal markers like we used to do.

3. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

And by "table" he means the shoe box full of hundred dollar bills in his closet.

4. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United

Hence Chang's position on bringing in new investors first.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Can't say I'm surprised.

If United could bring somethig to the table, a deal likely would have been done a while ago.

I get the feeling that the District officials feel United has a sense of entitlement and wants more from them than they offer in return and that it's off-putting to the city officials.

6. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis

"Can't take a piss without say so"

7. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis

The major difference being that we won't close the roads around the stadium for walkers.

Just saw games at Emirates and Craven Cottage. A stadium like Craven Cottage would be great.

8. strago

strago Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I also know that walk, I've done it a few times myself :) It's not bad and if there are police on horseback and traveling fans getting wasted at nearby bars, it'll be a fun atmosphere!

9. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And it doesn't help that very few (percentage-wise) of the constituents of the members of the city council care at all about soccer. In this country it's not an urban sport.

As has been discussed ad nauseum, between that lack of interest among many DC voters, the sweetheart stadium deal for the Nats, the national economic crisis, DC's financial situation, Chang's lack of (big time) wealth, Fenty, RFK's property complications and the scarcity of old industrial spaces in need of redevelopment in the DC area it would almost be surprising if the stadium had been built yet.

The answer, as it has always been, is obviously money.

In my dreams I see in my RSS feed a Goff post with a headline such as: "Will Chang and DC United welcome new majority partner, announce stadium deal with DC government."

If they ever do get a deal done, it would not shock me if they were announced simultaneously. Any new partner is going to want to know that a stadium can be built in the District with reasonable local government support, and without a major contribution from DCU there won't be any deal at all.

10. Stadium-Armory

Sep 6, 2006
    H Street NE
    Club:
    DC United

I wish I was a billionaire.

11. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now we know how much all of those trophies are really worth.

12. thebigVA

thebigVA Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United

So freaking bad?

13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

"D.C. United never brings anything to the table," one city official told NBC4, speaking on background because he was not authoriized to publicly comment.​

D.C. United's New Home Could Be in SW
    NBC Washington

--------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't the real problem that Major League Baseball took the table?

14. gkemp

gkemp Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

buy all of the things we never had?

15. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

No, not really. At least, I don't think so.

We saw this with the PG deal that fell apart, too. The Stadium that KP outlined would have been fantastic - it would have given Red Bull Arena a run for the money. What the DC Officials are saying, however, is that DCU comes in and wants a new Lexus but they really are only worth a used Carolla - and they're not even willing to pay for all of that.

The Buzzard Point location is interesting to me because Akridge and the various other landowners down there need something to get people down there. They need a hook. A stadium could provide some of that.

16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I think you are missing my point. Here we have an unnamed city official complaining about DC United not bringing anything to the table but I don't recall Major League Baseball doing so either. In fact, they got a pretty good deal, hence, the table missing.

17. Ourblackandred

Jun 29, 2010
    Athens, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have visions of a "Fan avenue" almost, where, almost as if by clockwork, 20K DCU fans march down the avenue to watch the game. :D

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000

Well, make that a 4 hour stroll (er, stumble! :)

19. Discuit

Discuit Member

Oct 1, 2008
    NOVA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know this is not as simple as a math problem.. Ive read every post on this thread, but I do have a couple questions about the financial aspect:

- How much is DCU worth and how deep are Chang's pockets? Would $60million make someone a majority owner?
    - How much would it take to facilitate the construction of a basic, cookie cutter stadium while requiring 0% financing from the district on a relatively unused piece of land like Buzzard Point? $200million?

20. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

I get this argument from the chip-on-the-shoulder, DCU fan perspective, but come on.

Baseball brought the opportunity to have a team with them. Kudos to the Nats for framing their contribution to "the table" in non-monetary terms.

Not only that, but their project promised far more in terms of overall attendance, sales tax revenue, etc.

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

That's right. United doesn't exactly promise a massive economic impact on the surrounding area. Not on the scale of the Natinals.

22. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Natinals, what's that? A cream puff pastry? ;) (Natilla is spanish for custard, but some dialects spell it natina)

ps-I would argue that the World Cup, Olympics, International games, etc. could have as big an impact if not bigger. Just saying.

23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Because the Nats are such a financial success story for Washington, DC that the city is looking to build other stadiums. The statement made from the city official is true but let's not ignore that Major League Baseball got a very good deal because the mayor and some members of the city council wanted a baseball team here at all costs. Let's also not ignore that if not for DC United, RFK is pretty much sitting empty for the last 15 years. In fact, I doubt the Expos would have played any games in DC without a new stadium built first. If you think RFK is bad now, imagine what it would be like collecting cob webs over those years. So while DC United may not have much to bring to the table, that table got ripped out with the dealings for the Nats and basically DC United is being asked to bring in a new table.

24. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Yes, the city got hosed on the Natinals Park deal.

What I'm saying is this - even if they didn't get hosed, I don't know that it would change DCU's situation all that much.

25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

By all means, put in your $60 million. I think you would be much more than just a majority owner - I think you would be the Saviour of Soccer, DC Edition.