Stadium News and Speculation XI: Beltway United? The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the closest parking may be at the little marina to the left.

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think we should all happily say goodbye to the kind of tailgates we're used to now if it means we get a stadium at Poplar Point. I know I'd have no problem making that trade.

3. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    same here - i think the best thing to do would be to have the supporters groups ask for access on a concourse to have kegs and maybe access to a grill. it would increase supporter group membership because anyone wanting to 'tailgate' would have to do so in a roped off area on the concourse, and it would benefit DCU cause the supporters groups enhance the stadium environment a lot and lead to a lot more ticket sales.

they'd probably just have to accept a little bit less in concession stand $$$, but if the supporters kegs had to be shut off by a certain time i would think they'd be ok with it.

4. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

Unless someone's willing to foot the bill for a pre-game party barge.

5. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    i know ill def be coming over by boat!
    wakeboard all morning, take boat to match, drink more, watch match....sleep on boat! haha

6. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Make that a big area for all fans who aren't in any of the supporters groups - Actually, the number of other pre-game tailgaters far outnumber those groups

7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    BARGE BARGE BARGE

[​IMG]

8. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hmmm, there's a lot of smoke in that picture for some reason. Interesting

9. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Interesting idea but I don't think this would ever happend for a variety of reasons (fiscal, liability, etc.).

10. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just in... Steve Goff gets some good stadium quotes from Victor MacFarlane!

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/01/dcu_stadium_progress.html

11. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    "We've looked at no other place until recently when we got indications the District didn't want us."

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Poplar Point will not happen. Read MacFarlane's quotes ....

How weak is that? Really does not say much for enthusiasm.

Not really an endorsement, is it? Unless MacFarlane is hiding something big, he sure does not sound like someone who thinks Poplar Point will happen.

The most telling statements from MacFarlane has to do with the two options at both New Carrollton and Greenbelt. Considering the availability to Metro and more important, the ability to make things happen, it looks like the team is moving to one of those two sites.

That says it all.

13. Port 13

Port 13 Member

Jan 21, 2007
    just moved to NC
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I saw your comment and quote on Soccer Insider and I still don't see why those quotes which aren't really news are reason to believe Poplar Point is dead. I read them as talking about the ongoing process and negotiations.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    there are a lot of ways to read VM's comments to the Insider.

DCU wants to be in DC. Ward 8 seems to want them (and a stadium). If something can be worked out with the Fenty-selected developer, then it will be a good solution.

at this point VM doesn't know if DC can beat out the options that MD is presenting. nothing wrong with that stance.

the "month-to-month" joke about the RFK lease was what really scared me, even though it was a joke. i'm guessing there is some truth to it.

the team has no security (in the short term), especially if the city wants to get cracking on bringing NFL DannyDome to the RFK site.

in the long term, i do think PP is the most likely spot at which a DC United stadium will get built. Greenbelt and New Carrollton are negotiating (and back-up) plans. I wouldn't like to see one of those "Plan B's" wind up being the fall-back resoltuion, but that does look to be a real option, again depending on what the city and the selected PP developer want. I do think (or perhaps just hope) that Barry and his Ward 8 constituets that back DC United's stadium could be a signficant player in the decisions.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Those were the thoughts I was too lazy to type.

18. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Like Falc wrote previously, I'm thinking more and more that this isn't about a political decision anymore as it is about timing. I think that city leaders want a United stadium within the PP development, but the time is ticking away for that to happen (how much do they care?). MacFarlane doesn't just want PP to happen, he wants it to happen in the relatively near future. Can the city offer that to him??

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    VM has met with each of the bidding developers. to me, that is an indication that he may/can accept their (and the city's) timeline. (or maybe -- and I really doubt it -- there is some other city site that Fenty could present that would be a quicker solution for DC United's stadium needs.)

really, the NFL DannyDome might be a significant player in the Timing discussion.

DC needs a stadium tenant on that land by the Stadium/Armory metro stop. they can't let DC United leave RFK (move to a new stadium) without having a new/old team (and new stadium) for that site. (i'm not certain of the federal requirements for that plot of land, but I'm pretty certain that a stadium is part of those requirements.)

things (allegedly) need to get done quickly. and the pace Fenty has been moving at (and all the work that is needed at the PP site before development/construction can begin) of course do not bode well for United's "urgent" timeline.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Yeah, I quoted myself. As part of the AWI the NCPC does have some ideas for the RFK site. I assume they would require a land transfer just as Poplar Point did. Would DC just build a DannyDome and nothing around it and be fine with the status quo or would DC hope the transfer would happen and development would come after the DannyDome is built?

21. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is FedEx Field not good enough for the Redskins? Largest stadium in the league and built within the last 15 years. And if they really wanted to be in DC the whole time, why didn't they just build it in DC from the beginning? I'm a total outsider to this issue, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    i'm sure someone on BS wants to talk NFL with ya.

but google might be your best friend in figuring out why Jack Kent Cooke built his stadium in Raljon, MD, and why Danny Snyder is not happy with what his current stadium offers him. basically, he thinks he needs an indoor venue to host a Super Bowl.

23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    First, MacFarlane would be a fool not to discuss stadiums with the three potential developers at Poplar Point. But Poplar Point is not a project that will get started anytime in the near future. It is not so much what MacFarlane responded to Goff's questions, it is what was not said. And there was nothing to indicate that Poplar Point is a reality for a DC United Stadium anytime soon. It is a possibility but just that. That does not mean that MacFarlane does not keep his options open but if time is a factor, then Poplar Point is dead. If things start to move along with either Greenbelt or New Carrollton and shovels can start digging, MacFarlane will act.

24. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FedEx was built on the quick. Jack Kent Cooke wanted it built before he died. He was old. It's kind of generic. Danny knows any improvements is like putting lipstick on a pig, especially in the super rich world of the NFL. Image is everything, you know. At any rate, the stadium was on course to be built in DC, but the old man was impatient and then he patted Mayor Sharon Pratt-Kelly Dixon on the ass....so that didn't go too well. At any rate, it ended up in PG County and while Danny has a lot of seats, he wants DannyDome!