Stadium looked over (hurt us an help us)

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by bige(redbulls), Jan 26, 2009.

1. bige(redbulls)

bige(redbulls) New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/bosses+tour+Place/1060574/story.html

This can hurt an benifit us. The capacity is to much for what don garber likes his stadiums to be he says smaller stadiums keep in the atmosphere. Also football lines are a big no no. In MLS many cities are getting looked over because of this, if you can sell 37000 season tickets by 2011 your in, i would start now.

2. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    Dude, with all due respect, are you not aware of the $365 million in renos that are being poured into BC Place as we speak?

This includes a whole new seating configuration for soccer which extends right down to the pitch, and an interior "sub-roof" positioned immediately above the lower seating level. This sub roof essentially cuts off all eyeline views of the empty upper deck and reduces capacity to 22,000.

And do you really think that an ownership group comprised of three soccer loving billionaires and a soccer loving multi-millionaire aren't going to shell out for a new rug?

This post, along with your "We're Not Getting A Team" post make you seem a little clueless about Vancouver's bid.

3. VancouverMLS redded

VancouverMLS redded New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He does bring up a point about the football lines.

Along with a new rug (the current one is a reject from Montreal's Olympic Stadium), BC Place will have to devise a quick and efficient way to scrub off the lines between events.

There is talk of using some new UV technology to have the lines glow on the field. Some phosphorescent material is painted on the field and UV lamps shine down and make the lines glow.

Just change the UV lamps and the glowing lines change between soccer and football.

I saw the article and will try to post it

4. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Bill I really don't think its phosphorescent. Phosphorescence means a material can hold radiation or energy and release it later. The most common example is 'glow in the dark' plastics which release light much slower than it is absorbed.

There is a new field technology that actually used fiber optic strands woven into the normal plastic turf. So instead of having just green plastic, every nth strand would be fiber optics. Each say 6"x6" section would have the strands feed into a light block. The whole field is done creates a massive array so a computer can control it all and set the pattern to whatever.

5. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    Qwest Field uses this amazing chemical compound to remove all traces of the NFL football lines.

It's called "water."

Go troll somewhere else Bill. You've got about as much insight as a mole underground with its head up its arse.

6. VancouverMLS redded

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  7. VancouverMLS redded

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  8. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Wow, non surprisingly that has nothing to do with the crap you made up and posted. Your link talks about the system I mentioned, but nothing to do with the rubbish you posted. Still painting and then washing off the lines is the most economical way of doing things.

9. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thats a good one Johnnie...........ha ha ha.

10. whiteymirbowl

whiteymirbowl Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Kamloops, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But did you know that BC Place is indoor and i don't think it has proper drainage. Even with the small amount needed.... i think

11. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Drainage won't matter, there will be a retractable roof that will be built.

As for water running down the new roof, I would imagine the roof would 'connect' to the current stadium rim beam where there is already a drainage system in place.

I suppose they will have to figure out in their design though how that 'connection' for the water run-off would work as there will be a space between the rim and roof.

12. VancouverMLS redded

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd like to know how that retractable fabric section will hold snow.

Keep in mind Montreal's Olympic Stadium is closed between November and March due to the danger of snow / ice causing their roof to cave in which indeed it did twice injuring some people

13. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Unless PAVCO changes the design a bit, from the looks of it the retractable portion of the roof won't be able to hold a lot of snow. Here's a comment from the FAQ of Commerzbank-Arena in Frankfurt of whom the BC Place roof shares the same design....

Question: I have read that the stadium cover isn’t able to hold the weight of possible masses of snow in the winter. But, strangely enough, this is exactly the time of year one would expect the cover to be closed. Is this criticism correct? If so, when is it possible to close the cover?
    Answer: The sealable cover is not made for masses of snow and that was never planned. The weather conditions in the Rhine-Main area in recent years have never been such that this would create a problem. The costs of a sealable cover capable of bearing masses of snow would have been out of all proportion to the expected usage. Therefore, the cover has an operating permit from April until October.

http://www.commerzbank-arena.com/Meta/FAQ.html

14. VancouverMLS redded

Jan 22, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Means the Retractable section will be open during snow.

The Lions can play in snow. Fine with me. It's not an issue for the Whitecaps.

But what happens if it snows during the Boat Show in January?

The exhibitors will get all wet. Some of them may already be all wet.

Looks like Miami is a lock for 2010 according to the Orlando Sentinal:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...-miami-official-news-to-be-out-by-feb-15.html

15. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When was the last time it snowed in Vancouver?

16. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Two days ago.

But the roof will be heated as is mentioned in another thread. No problem.

17. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know how they'd heat the new roof or if it will be at all. The current roof is heated with hot air pumped up between the inner roof membrane(the dirty part we see inside right now) and the outer roof. It's this pocket of air that melts the snow.

18. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    Plenty of ways.

a) Heating conductors inside (or in contact with) top of the fabric (like the back window on a car);

b) Forced air redirected from a heat source (i.e. boiler room or geothermics);

c) Melting via hot water projection;

d) Manual removal;

e) Snow-bots. ;)