Stadio della Roma ** All News & Info **

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Jan 11, 2012.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Al Davis and his son Mark had been trying to get a stadium deal for the Raiders for the last 40 years.

First he moved the team from Oakland to LA then because he couldn’t get a deal done there, he moved the team back 13 years later to the Colosseum. He only moved back because he got the stadium to get fans to make a commitment and purchase a personal seat license. A few years back, I heard some people were still paying for those seats but that was 25 years ago in 1995. Now the team moved to Las Vegas but Mark Davis also isn’t paying for the stadium and is getting a sweet deal there too.

2. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It might indeed be easier to build there, but one of the reasons TDV was chosen was because a significant number of people (if I recall correctly it was between 1-2 million) live within a 30-minute journey (by car or public transport) of the site, thereby not only easing fans' journies on match days but enabling the attractions at the facility to be used all week.

ErPupone repped this.
  3. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah.

It's never been about the match days - about 25-30 of those in the whole 365 days.

It's the other 340 days that would've made Pallotta some bucks + those two nice scyscraper business centers. Roma has always been a means to an end, a lever to pressure the city to cave on all demands fast due to public pressure, but the public pressure never really happened the way it would've in USA and way too many fingers wanted to pinch some pie too for Pallotta's taste... and here we are, a decade later.

The real bummer is that if Lotito had 1 bil. to spare and had the same project in his hands, that stadium would've been built 5 years ago at the latest. He knows how the play the system like a fiddle, while Pallotta is more likely to cut himself on those strings, which he has done multiple times already.

Java65 repped this.
  4. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Did you dig up a 50 year old post or did Socalyid return?:ROFLMAO:

5. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No Flavio linked the post.

Haakon24 repped this.
  6. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Damn...

7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's this quintessential Italian attitude why things don't get done in Italy. People figure if Pallotta stood to make a lot of money it was just wrong even though the team and the city stood to benefit greatly. The fact Pallotta was going to get richer was all that matter, so they cut off their nose to spite their face.

TheNewMeazza repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I understand their frustrations. Americans are use to getting things done soon.

A year or 2 maybe 3 but not after 10....I mean enough is enough.....

9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedkin will find out, especially if Raggi is gone before they break ground. If that happens it's back to square one.

falvo repped this.
  10. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  11. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the current climate, I would think adding a thousand or more jobs to the city would be highly desirable.

I do wonder if the sale also will include the stadium or if Pallotta and his team will still be heading that. I assume that real estate was more important to them than the actual team and there was some blurriness of who really was going to own the stadium.

TheNewMeazza and shiboboo repped this.
  12. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm guessing he/his group might retain some equity portion in the stadium/real estate and/or some claim to a portion of revenues to be made whole.

Otherwise, unless something happened to make the stadium plans dead in the water with Pallotta, but totally feasible with Friedkin, Pallotta really took a bath for all his, and his group's, work.

Quite frankly, the club Friedkin is acquiring is a much better entity than what Pallotta acquired. And for that, we should be thankful.

13. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Didnt the city force Pallotta into some agreement where if he ever sold the club he would have to sell the stadium too? I remember there being some buzz about that.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3164 falvo, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  15. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there was talk of that but since the city never approved the project there can't be any deal. Also, the stadium and the club ownership groups are different groups not even all the same people in both groups if I recall.

16. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Wouldn't even try to talk to anybody now when the next election in Rome will be held 2021 and you're probably gonna have to start all over again.

Java65 repped this.
  18. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You can’t wait to process stadium work just because of elections.

19. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but if they don't start construction before the elections and Raggi loses then it's back to square one. The new administration will begin the process all over again.

20. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are we sure that's how it works?

21. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is there is no "way it works." They powers that be make up the rules as they go along. In most countries there are hard and fast regulations and steps to building. In Italy, they sort of make it up as they go along, which is why there have been 20 "final" approvals.

If I recall correctly, some time back even Lotito made comments that there needs to be more concrete regulations.

22. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I see what you mean

23. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's like Sal's deserved perma ban - it's supposed to be simple, but self-interest mixed with power makes it annoying instead.

24. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So you’re telling me NOT to quit my day job?!

25. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now there is talk about not building the stadium in Tor di Valle and instead were Flaminio is. If they do change it they'll have to start from scratch.

This thread was started in Jan 2012, so going on 9 years and still no approval. Lets just get crazily optimistic and say they move it and it takes 5 years from design to approval. Say another 3 years to build it (again being crazy optimistic). That will be 17 years from the time they first proposed the stadium until its built. Again this is being wildly optimistic on the approval and completion of the new stadium.

Only in Italy

https://www.forzaroma.info/news-as-...alle-perde-quota-si-lavora-sullidea-flaminio/