Stack charged

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by fox point fury, Nov 17, 2004.

1. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
  2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't they have headlined that article "Millwall keeper charged with rape"? Just a question, but this is really not a joking matter. The clubs in England and the FA really need to do something about this problem. I read an article on the Guardian yesterday I was a football groupie- Guardian that dealt with this issue (stop snickering) and it seems to be totally out of hand. The Major pro leagues in the US have been trying to deal with this issue for a while and seem to be doing a decent job, aside from a certain high profile case. But cases like this still pop up with alarming frequency in college athletics it seems. What is wrong with these guys? It seems to me that if your getting laid all the time you might be relieved when the odd girl says no as you can just get some sleep. Are they so used to groupies saying yes that they really don't understand that not every girl want to sleep with them five minutes after they meet. This is really disturbing, and the clubs need to do all they can to stop it. Do player contracts over in England have morality clauses? This kind of behavior is completely unacceptable.

3. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Paging dwinkler. dwinkler you have a call on the white courtesy phone. It's everyone who gave you hell when you said there was a problem with young English footballers. I believe an apology will follow en masse.

Yet another example that American athletes do not have a monopoly on crime in general.

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dwinkler is probably at Brighton Beach waiting for a small boat full of French refugees to wash ashore...

5. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i honestly think the blame can be placed on the players and the women who put themselves in this type of situation, obviously not the rape situation, but the one from the article. It sounds like this girl has a problem and is addicting to sleeping with footbalers.

6. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Addicted to sleeping with footballers? Since heroin addicts are given methadone to kick the habit maybe I can convince her doctor to get her to sleep with me as a watered-down substitute.

7. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Oh for christ sakes people.

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty.

For all we know he has done absoloutly nothing wrong. I am sick and tired of the media thinking it is part of the judicial system, sticking their oar in and labelling people before a verdict has even been reached.

Should be illegal to run stories like that in my opinion

8. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i'll volunteer for that job.

Groupies see men as trophies

9. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but there is not much clubs can do about celebrity obsessed girls. Hopefully there is something they can do to educate their players and maybe provide some kind of moral guidance. I wish it wasn't necessary, but apparently it is.

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a good point, and I would never presume to know whether the player is guilty or not, thats for the judicial process to decide. I was speaking to the issue of rape in general, and also of the culture prevalent in sport that creates these kind of incidents. However, i will say that i have known enough women who were victims of rape or abuse and never went to the police to know that its a serious problem, and those that go to the authorities deserve to be taken seriously.

11. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not to trivialize this but I think that while the volunteers are nice, it looks like her prerequiste is that you actually need to be a pro football player-I wasn't aware that we had some of those among us? Smeone holding out on us? ;)

I also agree that we need to wait and see what comes of the charges, lots of people are charged with things but it does not mean they are guilty or are even convicted. Of course, he could probably find a spot on the Baltimore Ravens (do they need a kicker?) since they seem to be America's home for
    wayward professional football players/criminals......

12. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about the media, but in a good light, all this article mentioned was that he was brought up on charges. As long as that is all they report, it is ok. The trying and convicting in the media lately has been too much.

There does seem to be an odd trend though over the last year or two with many indictments of rape/group sex. These young kids are paid so much and treated as stars, so they tend to feel they are above punishment. I think some strict discipline by the teams and league may be needed.

13. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    OK, so when I wrote "watered-down" what I meant was "the levy broke and I'm under a flood."

14. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Hmm, make it illegal to report on criminal charges, thus striking those charges from the public record....

I wouldn't entrust any government or person on earth with that type of shield.

15. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Thank you.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    To be honest, I blame the girls involved more than the players. The girls are voluntarily puting themselves into these situations and thus must take most of the blame. Obviously young, immature and highly paid footballers will act irresponsibly at times, but these girls are acting like the catalyst. Education is needed for players to avoid them getting into situations like these. The PFA could regulate these girls...

Anyway, another interesting point is the London connection. Most of these events concern London clubs or the city in general. Are all girls in London that easy? Okay, no need to answer but you get my point. London is a bad place for a young talent to develop. That's why I dislike players who express a wish to move to London. It proves that their mind isn't really on the football.

The press shouldn't be allowed to comment on cases this early, as it can damage the person involved, particularly if they are later proved to be innocent. Since his name is now public, why isn't the girl being named? Sounds like double standards to me. Name them all or keep quiet I say. Another point raised was the innocent until proven guilty one. I personally disagree with that. In my opinion, it should be guilty until proven innocent. However, that is another topic for another day.

17. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Would you say the same thing about a murder case? How about petty theft or simple drugs posession? If criminal procedures aren't transparent to the public the potential for abuses are far scarier than a ruined reputation.

Rapists everywhere applaud this sentiment because it would all but guaruntee that almost no victims would ever come forward again.

18. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. Of course, we don't know the details of the incident, but to blame the girls is in bad taste. That is like saying I deserved to be robbed because I had more money than my attacker, then letting the robber off the hook because he grew up in a bad neighborhood.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Yes. I don't see why people should be unfairly named before they have been judged. They should be transparent, just not until the trial has been completed. Why do you think a jury (etc) aren't allowed to have any media contact during a case? It is because the media try to unfairly influence the case and public opinion. It's not fair on those who are wrongly accused.

You cannot have it both ways. Either name everyone or name no-one. Why should the "victim" be granted complete anonymity? It allows the system to be abused and innocent people to have their lives ruined in the press. It has happened in the past and will happen again. What is required is consistancy.

Why? They put themselves into that situation. It was their choice. Have you read the article from the URL posted above? It really sums up what some of these women are like. If you want to whore yourself about with lots of power-hungry guys, then you cannot expect everything to be fine and go without a hitch. It has been made public about the things that happen, but has it stopped these poor innocent girls? Has it fuck.

20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Stacks the ol' sticky wicket. They're not a rapist until proven guilty.

I'm willing to let this one play itself out in the courts and have that serve as my judgement for both parties.

21. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody deserves to be raped, no matter how they dress, who they've slept with before, etc. If there comes a point where a woman does not want to go on with whatever the man wants to do, that should be the end of it. Just because they paid for a hotel room or she said she was intereseted in him is no excuse or reason for it.

Now, there have been reports of women who have alleged rape but agreed to go along with the affair and either being upset later or out for money. This is wrong.

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    They made the decision to remain in a potentially dangerous situation and must therefore accept what could potentially happen. Same applies to all of the people heading to Iraq for a big pay cheque. It doesn't take away the fact that what happened is bad, but it helps to put it into some perspective.

23. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    I feel that the standard is these cases should be the same for both sides - but with the distinction being that both the alleged victim and accused are both provided with anonymity until the outcome of guilt is clear.

If the accused is found guilty then hang the fvcker from the rooftop and plaster his name everywhere. If he isn't then he can continue his life without the stigma associated with being accused of this type of offence.

And Coach - dwinkler will get no apology from me. As Dave_M said, innocent until proven guilty and, if I remember correctly, each of the incidents when dwinkler has got on his high horse and pontificated about how bad the english are have yet to result in even a trial.

Going further - the one real incident of note in the EPL this season relating to a players lifestyle outside of football has centred around a certain Romanian.....

24. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I love that logic! It means that I'm not a murderer even though I've killed 5 people because I haven't been proven guilty!

:rolleyes:

25. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Can you share with us the incontrovertible proof you have of Stack commiting the rape then? Cos thats what you're saying....