St Louis Post Dispatch: MLS for St. Louis?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by rlrcpa, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could live with Crusaders or even Knights (either way, with the silhouette of Louis in the logo), I just think Stallions doesn't sound like a soccer team.

2. Angus Podgorney

Feb 25, 2006
    St. Louis
    That is a nice logo. Prior to the construction of the Arch, the image of Louis IX on horseback used to be the symbol most widely used for the city.

I'm not real crazy about the name Stallions; I can't help thinking of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and their band, The Wyld Stallyons. Party on dudes, and be excellent to each other! (Even if the actor that played Bill was from St. Louis. Never quite got as famous as the guy that played Ted. Keanu Something...);)

3. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis Pioneers

4. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    If its the Reds keep it local.

St. Louis Mad-Reds.

8.1 on the excitement scale.

French King theme?

St. Louis Rey. (The Muskateers)

The clear leader so far

St. Louis Sun Kings

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    St. Louis St. Germain?
    Racing St. Louis?
    Nellyville FC?

6. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was mentioned above & also from my general knowledge, St. Louis wasn't named after Louis XIV, who wasn't a saint by any stretch of the imagination. Sun Kings & Rey don't work, period.

Also, if the team uses the name "Crusaders" I'd have to imagine that they'd never be able to play a friendly in the Middle East, most of Africa or Indonesia. ;)

7. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhm, the guys on the field with the NE logo on their shirts? Just a thought...

8. timpcrk

timpcrk New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Bloomington
    St. Louis was named after King Louis IX of France who was later canonized Saint Louis. He was noted for being extremely generous to the poor and went on two crusades during his reign and was noted for being an ideal "christian monarch". That is where all these names come from:

St. Louis Saints
    St. Louis Kings
    St. Louis Crusaders

9. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said what, not who. People like to root for physical things, not concepts or conditions. No Revolution, no Heat, no Wild.

10. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    If you want to see some bad team names, look at Arena Football. teams like the Crush, Force and Soul. Please avoid at all costs.

Here's a thought, if we wanted to incorporate the flag of STL, could we model our jerseys off the stripes of Barcelona? They have the red, blue and yellow. Or would that be too close to Real Salt Lake? Or do we care?

11. timpcrk

timpcrk New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Bloomington
    I like the idea of just blue and yellow stripes without red. Hmmm..blue and yellow for a St. Louis team? Can it be done?

12. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, but I don't really care.

13. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been to STL in 3 years, is the west side of the city still sprawling like crazy out past Wentzville and Lake St. Louis? The suburban development out there was ridiculous. I wonder why in the world they would want to put a stadium on the IL side of the town.

14. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for completely missing my joke. Obviously my team's name is one of the holdovers from Nike 1996 "kewl" experiment but I think the fans have come up with a nice nickname (Revs).

Being named the "Orange" doesn't seem to bother Syracuse fans nor does being named the "Crimson" seem to irk people who cheer for Harvard. What are you rooting for there? A color? You want a condition, I heard Chicago has this really well supported team named after a condition....

You really wanna think about it, you're rooting for the Revolutionary War. Go George Washington!

15. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I would go red and yellow stripes before blue and yellow. Although the blue and yellow goes with the Rams and the Blues....

As for STL, yes it is still developing towards Wentzville. But they are renovating much of downtown into residential areas instead of just old buildings. I can see a bunch of people moving back towards the city instead of to the outskirts over the next few years.

Either way, the closer to the city the better in my mind, even if that is 15 minutes across the river. Anything that takes the County folk through downtown so they can make a day of eating and a game out of it. Going to a game in St. Charles would just feel....weird.

16. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because I'm a history geek, it should be noted that Louis IX's two crusades (the 7th and 8th) were utter failures. :)

17. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fo shizzle Saint Lou is in the hizzle...

18. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I have been planning our return to the St. Louis area for some time now, with a move from Southern California coming sometime in the next 18 months. While I am a huge Galaxy fan and season-ticket holder, I would immediately get season tix in STL just to support MLS if they can land a franchise, no matter when they put the stadium, or whatever stupid name they give it. We are looking at west county near Town & Country. If they go east I would think hard about taking the kids regularly, but who knows. Let's just get a team there!

19. m16t

m16t Member

Jan 19, 2001
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with J. Just moved back "home" from Cali and 5-10 Quakes games a year. Seriously, put the team in Columbia (either state) and I'm there. Who do I make my season ticket deposit check out to?

Any other StL'ers on here remember when the Highway Farty crap is starting? No way that'll be done by '08, eh? Probably not something that should influence where the team ultimately plays, but certainly a pain-in-the-keister I'm not looking forward to if there's a bridge to be crossed.

As far as team names go -- talk about getting ahead of ourselves -- I think my current vote is for the Browns, especially with that old logo the previous poster dug up.

20. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They are working on the Vandeventer overpass right now.

Almost anywhere you put the stadium, 40 construction will be a problem

21. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming from Southern California, I guess I have a different outlook on all this. The HDC is 100 miles from my front door, and its location on the 405 makes it right in the middle of traffic hell. I was in STL several months back when you were having real weather (we don't have that here) AND what you call traffic. Not that bad. Now I don't claim to know how locals will feel, but I would just feel damn giddy to have an MLS team to watch in a real stadium.

22. m16t

m16t Member

Jan 19, 2001
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm with you -- come hell, high water or highway construction, I'm there (if it happens, of course). I was just curious, is all.

23. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    So when Daniel Webster enthralled the nation with his speech "Liberty & Union, Now and Forever, One and Inseparable", it was because the masses could already envision the Jeep Liberty and the many, many Union Stations that he was promising them?

And you're going to have to explain just why you believe the 11 guys on the field are a "concept or condition" and not physical things.

24. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I understand your point, but not only do I drive eastbound on 40 from my job in West County back to the city, but my apartment is about 100 yards from 40 with a good view of eastbound traffic. Its hard not to be affected by the sight of westbound traffic from 4-6:30. ;)

25. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    you forgot about now 'n' laters, four ever lasting gobstoppers, pepsi one, and i got nothing for that one