St Louis Post Dispatch: MLS for St. Louis?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by rlrcpa, Apr 18, 2006.

1. rlrcpa

rlrcpa Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the St. Louis Post Dispatch this morning, there is evidence that St. Louis is actually bidding for an MLS team:

"A group of investors is looking at acquiring an expansion team that would begin play in 2008 in the St. Louis area, possibly in the Metro East. The main issue is securing a location and putting together financing to build a soccer-specific stadium. A final decision on a stadium site could come in the next few weeks.

"We're looking at our options for putting an expansion team in St. Louis," said Michael Huyghue of Florida, who is part of the group pursing a team. "We've met with Major League Soccer, had a feasibility study and made other inroads. At this point, we're very serious about it, but it's still in the planning stage and we're not ready to make an official announcement."

Huyghue, a former general manager of the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars, is the present of a sports entertainment company, Axcess Sports, and is also an entertainment agent who represents among others, Snoop Dogg."

link: St. Louis Post Dispatch Sports

Garber has been talking about expansion in St. Louis, but there hasn't been any talk about it here in St. Louis until this article!

I have hope now that it may happen!:D

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting to again see potential MLS operators looking for an SSS site on the "wrong" side of the river/state border.

i.e.

Kansas City = Kansas; not Missouri

Philadelphia = New Jersey; not Pennsylvania

St. Louis = Illinois; not Missouri

3. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Louis Kings, anyone???? would Budweiser tie into this team like Redbull?

4. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrison, NJ, not NYC.
    Commerce City, not Denver.
    Frisco, not Dallas.
    Bridgeview, not Chicago.

It's a question of where there's available, inexpensive land & attractive deals to build these stadiums. There simply isn't the room or inclination to build in the middle of downtown areas. Ask the Jets (West Side, Manhattan) how that deal panned out.

5. AshfieldK

AshfieldK Member

Lansing Ignite, Lansing United
    United States
    Aug 18, 2005
    MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is totally in line with how I read Don Garber's comment on St. Louis. Everything's there but the stadium.

Sounds like the investor group is looking to bolster a case for some public funding.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    But you've never seen the good side of a river, till you hitched a ride on the MLS dream....

:D

Sachin

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Kings is done... in two leagues. How 'bout St. Louis Clydesdales, instead?

There isn't anything in America a clydesdale is associated with besides Budweiser, plus it's a big, strong, graceful animal, so it fits the traditional US sports-team mascot theme AND it has ties to the area. Plus, if AB is willing to throw some mad cash at the team for said name, even better.

From the article:

Did the article really say he's the "present" and not president? Nice editing!
    Huyghue has just gotta get Snoop to be an investor. That would be way entertaining to imagine Snoop, St. Phil and Lamar hanging out at an investors meeting.

Plus, it would give MLS the much bally-hooed street cred. :D

8. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    Even in Europe the new stadiums are being built outside the cities to where the land is cheaper.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    Budweiser St. Louis v. Red Bull New York, I can live with that.

Coppertone San Diego, anyone?

Microsoft Seattle FC?

10. rlrcpa

rlrcpa Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the sound of that: St. Louis Clydesdales!:)

11. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waitaminute? You mean the Deuce doesn't have any street cred? No way dude!! :p

Seriously, this is nothing but good for the league, St. Louis has had a very long history of being one of the major hubs of soccer in the US. I hope they get a team.

12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Details, details....

13. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.

Huyghue said his group has "a site in mind, but it would have to be the focus of private-public funding and that step has to happen before we're approved by the league. I think all of those things can happen, but I don't want to get ahead of myself and say they'll happen perfunctorily."

The article omitted Huyghue's early years as an English teacher, when he tutored, among others, Mike Tyson.

14. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    Could be the St. Louis Arsenal, if they put the stadium in the right place in town.

15. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

[TT]Rawwwling...Rawwwwlingg....Rawwwling...[/TT]

16. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Plus, ya gotta figure that if Snoop is involved, as far as the stadium goes it's grass all the way...none of that hocus-pocus fieldturf, fa shizzle.

17. Angus Podgorney

Feb 25, 2006
    St. Louis
    Props! With Tina growing up in East St. Louis,IL the reference is perfect.

The amazing thing is that in the print version of the Post-Dispatch, this article appears at the top of the front page of the sports section, above the picture of Albert Pujols homering on his fourth consecutive at bat. Big news when you displace the Cardinals. This doesn't happen perfunctorily. :p

18. jhawkinva

jhawkinva New Member

May 27, 2003
    Northern VA
    Actually, Kansas City is in both Kansas and Missouri. It's just that the major stadums and arenas are on the Missouri side.

19. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

[​IMG]

You know a lot about golf.

I know even more about grass.

20. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commerce City is basically Denver. The site is only 8 miles or so from downtown Denver and is a stones throw (a mile or less) from the City of Denver. This isn't another case of a team being located in a sprawling metropolis. We're the Colorado Rapids anyway.

Back on topic, I'd love to see a St. Louis MLS Club.

21. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    St. Louis is a great place to put a team. It is a short drive from Kansas City, and Chicago. It will be great to finally have a road trip from KC that doesn't take the bare minimum of 7 hours on the road one way.

St. Louis is a great soccer town. You could have a pretty good team if you just took St. Louis natives or Saint Louis University alumni.

---Pickens(Chi)-----

Rhine(Dal)-
    Ralston(NE)-Klein(RSL)-Jewsbury(KC) Brad Davis(KC)
    Twellman(NE)-McBride(Fullham)-Noonan(NE)

Others
    Will John (KC)

Ok so they are a little light on the defensive side of things, but that is an attacking team with a solid midfeild.

22. rlrcpa

rlrcpa Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivalry between StL - KC & StL - Chicago looks very attractive!

23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "You must spread reputation before giving it to GoSounders again."

I think St. Louis would be cool. Street cred... how 'bout the St. Lunatics. ;)

St Louis would give KC their first real arch rival. :D

24. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haaaaaaaaaallelujah
    Haaaaaaaaaallelujah
    Hallelujah, Hallelujah
    Halleeeeeelujaaaaah

(That's the Hallelujah Chorus, the way I heard it in my head when I read the article this morning.)

25. Mike22

Mike22 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tampa-->KC, Mo
    In that case, they should be the St. Louis Warlocks.

One name that I was just talking about with my brother is the Dreadnoughts. I saw that name in Lakeland at a soccer tournament about 4 years ago, and its stuck. Its probably too long for a pro sport team, but it's still sweet. I would support the Dreadnoughts regardless of their geographical proximity to me.