St. Louis Players

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ForeverLOST108, May 27, 2010.

1. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear we might get Asante.

2. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just going with what another poster had said.

3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    She didnt play at all last Sat. night and I had a feeling that if we were going to drop someone it would be her. I liked her last year but this year with Markgraf and Engen in the middle, IMO, she doesn't fit.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If CRS is looking for defenders and then if I were CRS, I'd look at Weber as an outside back. I'd advocate CRS sign Fletcher except you are one team that had absolutely no need for a holding mid as you've already got one (Klein) that isn't getting on the field. I'd also suggest that CRS try to get Washington but you don't have a need for wingers, either. And releasing Dieke doesn't open a spot for a winger.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agree on Weber and Fletcher.
    Weber is a UND graduate and is from chicago also.

8. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weber would be great. As well as Spilger did against FCGP.. I don't think she is starting material.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not realize Weber was from the Chicago area. hmmm....making more and more sense...

Fletcher played for Pali so Naimo knows her but I just don't think there's room to get her on the field.
    Weber would be a good choice (imo) for CRS in that I think she'd be relatively cheap, too.

10. coachbill9

coachbill9 New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Fletcher was a defender when she played at UNC. So she's more versatile than just as a holding mid. I also remember her doing flip throw-ins too at the Junior World Cup up in Canada a few years ago.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know she was a defender @ UNC. Watched her play there. And she was one of Athletica's center back this season. I think she was the best holding mid in WPS not named Boxx last year and should have gotten WNT camp looks for her play at that position. I also am looking at her w/ my WNT fan hat on and see that the WNT is rather thin at holding mid and really need someone to step up in WPS play--which she has. Fletcher isn't going to make a WNT defender list.

None of the above means CRS won't sign her. She's played for Naimo before and isn't a stranger to the other UNC folks. And would be a solid pick up for the team. Just don't see her getting much game time.

I also think the flip throw is an overrated gimmick. but I can be difficult like that.

edit #26: from Naimo's twitter:

And since it was put up last night, perhaps tomorrow = today.

12. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Rough for Dieke, she had a great year last year, but this year she's had a bit of a howler.

If CRS need anything it's someone who can play left back. Spilger is a versatile backup on defense, and good at PR, but probably shouldn't be a starter. So I guess Weber is as good a guess as any since I'm assumming cap has been a major issue with all other possible attempts.

I don't know about Fletcher because of Chapman, and Klein is kind of a fan favorite. Maybe if she can play other places well? And Asante is another great player, but unless Markgraf is thinking of retiring next season, Asante would see a lot of bench in her future, with Markgraf being the captain and Engen the future. But maybe with the current circumstances she'd be okay with that for a season.

Hopefully they'll be able to tell us this afternoon, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

13. radioam

radioam New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Engen was playing at left back most of this season, so having Asante in the middle would not be that suprising to me.

Or who knows, maybe Asante could play left back?

I just think waiving Dieke must be part of a bigger picture, because the Red Stars have not seemed that deep defensively.

14. snipoppers16

snipoppers16 New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Chicago
    After Chicago's scoring woes this season combined with being tied for the best GAA in the league I will be SEVERELY disappointed if we've done all this waiting and speculation to tighten an already tight defense.

15. weipenguigumbi

Dec 4, 2007
    To all those who have passed out due to holding your breath, revive yourself because apparently my very secret source said their will probably be an announcement today, a player and a coach. Now go back to holding your breath because my helicopter has run out of fuel so I won't be able to get a closer look at who with my telephoto lens, because it's not stalking if you have a camera, according to TMZ.

To those who take things too literally be warned the above is mainly fictional. But the new coach and player may be named today according to something I read on twitter. So the likelyhood that this will probably, sorta, maybe, kinda, a little bit happen today is rock solid. Wikiapedia solid.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Now that we named Namazi as coach, who is the new player?

17. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree. Defense may win championships.. but we need to fix our scoring problems. But I understand that we didn't have the salary room for the big name Athletica players so I can survive. Hopefully this new coach will help our scoring woes.

18. weipenguigumbi

Dec 4, 2007
    I missed the coach announcement by like thirty seconds, hopefully the player announcement will come shortly. I don't know who, but I'm assumming a defender.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just realized that Dieke was not a foreign player. I believe she is American born. So the CRS cannot bring in Asante unless they drop a foreign player. I don't think that's going to happen.
    So who can they bring in? Elise Weber? Tina DiMartino?

20. snipoppers16

snipoppers16 New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Chicago
    I may consider jumping ship if they sign DiMartino. Sorry, but the way to a better team is not to start collecting FCGP's ineffective cast-offs from last season. ie: Formiga

21. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they said you can have 6 internationals if the 6th is from Athletica.

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're getting 2 player announcements tomorrow.

23. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to all the former St. Louis players, but it would be nice if Weber could play in front of her family. I'm also hoping Erin Walter catches on, even if as a developmental player. The Walter family always treated Laclede's Army like kings when we went to Chicago. We tailgated with them both years. We think the world of both players and their families.

Weber does make sense as an outside defender for Chicago. She's played both sides.

24. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's a restriction on where the international comes from, considering that Sky Blue used the additional slot to sign Patrizia Panico of Italy.

25. Flea2009

Flea2009 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Kirkcaldy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I pretty sure Panico is only number 5. Rosana, Landström, Koster and Kalmari. Bardsley is an anglo yank (or a yankee anglo) so she does not count.