St. Louis Players

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ForeverLOST108, May 27, 2010.

1. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since they will go on free agency on Monday, should the Red Stars try and acquire anyone? If so, who?

2. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Aluko. Cut Formiga, and start her and Casey; I think it would be dynamic. Or Aluko and Cristiane. Or Aluko and Asllani. But we need a goal scorer, bad.

3. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    1. hope solo
    2. forward

this is all they need, they can't sign an international unless they release on, personally i would dump formiga and sign solo and aluko.

4. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Man, that sucks for Loyden if we get Hope; she just stepped out of her shadow. But if Barcellos comes to Chicago, I'm betting Hope comes with him. But, maybe the Breakers will try for Hope.

But agreed on cutting Formiga and adding Aluko.

5. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I would say atlanta goes after her badly. They need defense and a keeper, I think you'll see the most Athletica players go there.

6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we cant get Aluko then I want Boxx. We need a center mid, badly.

7. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I think sky blue is going to grab aluko fairly quickly with that open spot, it makes the most sense for their scoring woes, that or resign asante. Maybe chicago will bring back tarpley. It's not like she was bad in chi-town. I personally thought it was a god awful trade, her for lloyden.

8. radioam

radioam New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd love to see tarpley back in chicago.

and i'd agree about atlanta perhaps having the most to gain from this, judging by their roster i'd say they have enough cap space to acquire some of these players (and judging by their record, they may want to).

9. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see a new face than Tarpley. But still, signing her would hopefully be helpful.

10. carolinablue_cchs07

carolinablue_cchs07 New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Atlanta to take Ashlyn though =/ she's a good GK too! ... gosh y'all... Loyden just got out from under Hope, Ash has been under Hope so far this year... give the girl a break, she needs one. sucky luck has tracked her for years...

I like Aluko... I think she'd be a good pick for CRS!

11. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Stars better be going after some stlouis players. We need help in a lot of areas. I'm surprised the WPS didn't have dispersal draft.

Note from stlouis paper. WPS might raise salary cap and team roster size.

"All the players on the Athletica will become free agents on Tuesday and can sign with any team in the league. Because most teams are already near the salary cap and players such as Chalupny, Solo and Boxx could be signed only if a correspondingly high profile player was released, the league is discussing raising the salary cap and the roster limits for the rest of the season."

12. sarahpt

sarahpt New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Raise cap and # of players allowed is my vote!

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you are not paying attention. More players to pay does not keep costs down. Keeping costs down is how WPS teams will survive. If the teams/league had the money to float 14 players, they'd have floated the Athletica for the rest of the season. They don't.

If you want the WPS to survive get out there and sell the value of sponsorships so that the teams can bring in some revenue.

14. sarahpt

sarahpt New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    I didn't think of that. Ok I will do my part in letting sponsors know we are grateful and will pass this along to my soccer team and parents...

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Aluko and/or Boxx. I also like Carolyn Blank. She was very good when CRS played Athletica at the beginning of the season.

Tina DiMartino would be a good pickup as well.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on who is coaching CRS and what sort of system/type of play they want. There are certainly midfield problems but the log jam gets worse if you add Boxx to the list of Chapman, Klein, Formiga, and the rest w/o cutting someone. You also have to think of your salary cap situation. And you'd have to cut an international to sign Aluko.

Atlanta needs Boxx more ;)

17. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well obviously if we got Boxx we would get rid of Formiga probably because of her higher salary. If we get an international I would say Formiga should be the first to go.

18. radioam

radioam New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm in the boxx for formiga group definitely.

But of course, you have to assume that many of the players on current rosters are under guaranteed contracts, so teams wouldn't have that much freedom to cut and add big name players (with big $ contracts).

19. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I read somewhere that teams can only have 5 or 6 guaranteed contracts for the 2010 season. That means they have a lot of latitude to make changes before the mid-season deadline.

20. sarahpt

sarahpt New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    i heard it was 9 contract- anyone know the real #?

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tarpley!

We also need some forwards.

And a coach.

23. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. radioam

radioam New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    per that article: i think not increasing the roster size makes sense from a financial standpoint. adding another international kind of defeats that purpose in my eyes though.

i thought at best, the teams would be allowed to add another 'developmental' player, which is at the lower end of the roster (financially).

and adding another international seems to come at the opposite end, assuming most of the international players are a higher level of financial investment.

25. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the salary cap remains the same then teams can't spend on an international stlouis player unless they cut someone making top money and they can't cut anyone with a guarrented contract.