St Louis Players thread

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by SoccerPrime, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Darius Jovon

Darius Jovon New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately I haven't heard anything myself either. But to think with the glass half full, all this time that they are taking to sign a keeper means that they are taking it seriously, since there's only two on the field at a time. :D

2. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if we can't get Cepero, I guess Cepero's one-time backup will have to do... seriously, though, Dufty seems like a solid D2-level keeper, at least based on what little evidence we have.

3. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the info.
    Although it probably won't happen, wouldn't it be great if we landed Kevin Hartman? I bet we've approached him since it appears noone else has. But then again, he probably has been approached by a lot of teams. But hey, here's hoping he comes to St. Louie.

4. Ogi60

Ogi60 New Member

May 21, 2007
    I just heard that Elvir Kafedzic was also signed this week. He was part of the open tryouts that were held last month.

5. Bend_it

Bend_it Member

Jun 13, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering if Cooper has another 'big' signing up his sleeve, either Hartman or Cepero, and that's why we haven't heard any news about a GK yet.

I also wonder if ACSTL have any interest in Lee Nguyen? His contract was terminated by Vietnamese club HAGL this past weekend, apparently after an incident where he refused to go on the field as a sub. He has pedigree -- signed by PSV on Guus Hiddink's watch, and has 3 USMNT caps, including 2 in the 2007 Copa America. He apparently has no interest in MLS after being lowballed on a contract offer last summer by FC Dallas. I think it could be a win/win situation for both player and club -- an out of contract player gets an opportunity with the summer transfer window approaching on a team that has international connections with Anelka and Filho. And ACSTL gets a quality player who's been capped. His salary playing in Vietnam was $120,000 annually. At this point in his up and down career, I don't think he's too big of a name to play a few months for USSF/D2.

6. Meghan10

Meghan10 New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I think Dufty is a solid choice. He played an amazing game against Houston when he was with the Red Bulls. He proved he belongs at this level of play. The best is yet to come.

7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Ray Burse Jr is trialing with DC United but I think he would be great for your team.

8. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Twitter:

Gauchinho, F, played last year for Naestved BK in Denmark
    Cassiano, from Brazilian EC Sao Jose
    Chad Becker, GK, from St. Charles
    Alex Duffy, GK, from RBNY
    Jeff Cosgriff, MF, Santa Clara Univ.
    Gilbert Pogosyan, MF, Pasadena City College

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, Becker trialed with and trained with the Wizards for a lot of last season, just FYI.

10. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any guesses at this point who the starting 11 are? Looks to me that you have some untested talent and a lot of non-North Americans. 2 goalies who are 23? Pretty young. I see Laser Luke Kremalmeyer and Steve Ralston as starters. Who else?

12. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It does look very youth heavy at the moment, which might not be something that pays off in an inaugral season. There's some good little signings in there though.

I expect the new Brazilian Gauchinho will be a starter. I think he's normally a winger, but with St. Louis not having too many forwards on the books at the moment, I expect we'll see him up top.

13. Darius Jovon

Darius Jovon New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect to see all the Brasilians starting, since Gauchinho is coming from a top tier league and Titton and Cassiano are coming from the same club.
    I however wouldn't mind seeing Hagop upfront in a CF role along with another striker. Kind of like how Anelka plays along with Drogba.

14. raven65az

raven65az New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    St. Charles, MO
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Youth = HUNGER. Also when considering youth, consider Arsenal. I like youth, what matters is if they stay healthy. Ralston is the maturity on-field that will provide the focus.

15. Darius Jovon

Darius Jovon New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just hope we don't have any "Ramsey" type injuries for Titton and McCarthy lol :D
    I actually believe that all of our midfielders are pretty experienced besides Steve. K'meyer is 27, Gauchinho came from a top tier Denmark team, Loizeau is an international player, and Kante has had loads of professional experience and is only 23. Hopefully this all adds up to us having a team that doesn't lose possession a lot and holds the ball well. :rolleyes:

16. Darius Jovon

Darius Jovon New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Directly from Facebook:
    "...ACSTL scrimmed UMKC behind closed doors tonight. AC wins 3 to 2! Great first goal of the franchise scored by Chris Savaggione. First half was rough but AC settled in a bit and looked promising. The foreign players are not in town yet. shhh!"

When I first read this, I was kind of dissapointed that it was a 3-2 win over a D-1 school, but i took into consideration that their camp had just recently started and as quoted, the foreign players aren't even in St. Louis yet. Which means that Titton, Kante, Cassiano, Gauchinho, and Loizeau weren't playing, and I can bet that at least 2 of the players named will be starting come the beginning of the season. This also means possibly that we were able to score 3 goals with only two true forwards on the roster at the time, McCarthy and Elvir Kafedzic.

17. KingHenrik

KingHenrik New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw that Tampa got a loaner from FD Dallas and am wondering/hoping that ACSTL could do the same. I'm not sure how the wages issued is figured out (does the parent team pay or the team taking on the loanee?), but if we'd be getting a player who's salary is covered by his MLS team I would sure hope we pursue that avenue.

18. docnetsoc

docnetsoc New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    There would be a couple of great prospects for possible loan from KC Wizards IMO.

19. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    In almost all cases, the MLS team will pay his wages. With the scrapping of the Reserve League, most MLS teams see it as a plus to them and their player development by sending someone out on loan.

20. KingHenrik

KingHenrik New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now that MLS has agreed to a new CBA, I sure hope Cooper & Co. aggressively pursue this avenue. I would think they could pick up a couple guys that could really walk into the starting line up.

21. Darius Jovon

Darius Jovon New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got any names specifically?!?!

22. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John DiRaimando was just waived by DC United, I do believe he is from St.Louis

23. KingHenrik

KingHenrik New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnny D would be a great pick up. Think his main knock is size, but he can control a game well.

I wasn't saying that it's an easy thing to pull off, but that there have to be young players on MLS rosters that are so far down the pecking order that a loan to NASL would be beneficial, especially some of these teenagers in the league. Sure, you can learn a lot through training and practice, but getting out and playing can be a whole other experience these young guys could use.

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another St. Louisan, Pat Noonan, was released today by Colorado. He would be a great pickup for the club. With Ralston's wages, Pat's salary might be a stumbling block, as it was with MLS clubs, but maybe the lure of playing in his hometown might circumvent the salary.

25. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noonan would be great. I'm sure someone else will pick him up, but being in St.Louis with his buddie and former teammate Steve Ralston would be excellent!