St. Louis - Name and Jersey Ideas Pt. 2

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by Z010 Union, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    What about the logo for St. Louis Soccer United?
    St. Louis Soccer United

I hope they do not use Soccer United as the name.

2. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis

Actually, if you look through these threads, you'll realize where St Louis Soccer United got their logo from ;)

And I don't think they're planning on that as the team name, just the group organizing it. Similar to AEG, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Kroenke Sports and Entertainment, Hunt Sports Group, etc.

3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Agreed - but they could go with just St. Louis United. And we could still call them the knights (or crusaders).

4. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    or use that for a supporters' club name. depending on if y'all were planning to have more than one, since it looks like gateway something is winning in the polls last i checked.

5. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they were, question, who was it that originally did these? Was it you KD or was it Ultravolta? Whoever did them, can we get a redo with the new crest somehow put on them, as well as possibly getting rid of the belly lines and the team name(since i would assume a sponser would go there anyway)?

EDIT: Nevermind, can't get the image to work, it was the one with the Green Cross on the right side, was at the end of the last page, anybody help?

6. STL Faithful

STL Faithful New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Ballwin
    I like these colors the best!!

7. STL Faithful

STL Faithful New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Ballwin
    I take that back. I like these even more! I like the blue & green combo. It's unique. I also really like the logo. I'm sold...

8. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    St Louis United?

It's settled. They will be called St Louis United.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i found some interesting domain registration stuff too...

The same people who registered www.stlouissoccerunited.com also registered www.stlouisunitedsoccer.com

[​IMG]

That seems to indicate that that is the working name.

Welcome to the league St Louis United. Perhaps we DC fans need to start readying the song "There is Only One United."

9. sillinois

sillinois New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Re: Team's Working name: St Louis United

I don't think it is settled. "United" is stressed because Cooper is making a point of this re'uniting' the Illinois and Missouri sides of the river. That is all I take it for. As for the website, because he has the name backward in my mine "Saint Louis Soccer United," it makes sense to purchase the more typical working ... "Saint Louis United Soccer" so that it can reference to the host site when people make that wording mistake. If it was Saint Louis United, I think he would have purchased "www.saintlouisunited.com" instead.

There will be a naming contest or something or other to generate publicity about 6 months before the first match to generate season ticket holders.

10. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis

I tell you what, I think it could easily be STL United. In fact, judging from the website and such I would think it is the best bet. And we the fans would call them the Knights.

11. ironhead

ironhead New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think St. Louis United would be a great name. It really makes sense with the stadium being in Collinsville. It's also a classic name from so many clubs in England that many people will instantly recognize. Why should D.C. have all the fun, eh?

I really, really like the team crest that St. Louis United Soccer is using. It would be by far the coolest crest in MLS. Jeff Cooper is a good man! Come on, City of Collinsville - you know that "yes" is the only right answer!!

12. jfranz

jfranz New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Portland, OR

I too love the name St. Louis United, especially if the stadium gets built in Metro-East. In which case, it's not just a great name, it's a political statement.

13. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I agree. No need for rebranding years down the road. Looks like they got that part right from the start.

14. Tkebh979

Tkebh979 New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Houston-ish

Anyone else realize that the color pallet is strikingly similar to what others on this site have been working on? Badass crest, might I add.

15. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.

Not necessarily:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...8AAD9EE0A35FB89286257336000E269B?OpenDocument

But there's still one detail Cooper hasn't figured out — a team name.

"I've been so focused on just getting a team, deciding on a name hasn't even crossed my mind," he said. "It's kind of a superstition now."

16. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis

As a fan who sometimes has odd superstitions when watching a game, i like the idea of a manager who is equally quirky.

17. StevenGerrardisGod

StevenGerrardisGod New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    St. Louis
    I love the AC St Louis name but for jerseys I would really like to see those that mimic Celtic or Newcastle simply because they are cool looking and no one in the MLS has jerseys that resemble them. Personally I would love black and white stripes

18. 400lb Gorilla

400lb Gorilla Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Chivas USA(vertical like Newcastle) and FC Dallas (Horizontal like Celtic) have hoops in their uniforms, but they are of a diffrent color than the two examples you provided.

19. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What is the area like where the stadium would be located? It it a developed suburban area, a dowtown, urban location, or an addition to a currently undeveloped area...?

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i believe THIS THREAD should answer your questions.

21. El Yucateco

El Yucateco Member

Nov 1, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I'm not a regular poster on the MLS forums, being a Mexican soccer fan, but I would probably buy season tickets if we were to get an MLS Franchise here in St. Louis.

Anyway just dropping by to give my two cents, the thought crossed my mind that since DC has already taken the "united" name (and it would be kind of lame to go with that name as well), I thought of a couple of names that are more representative of the city's rich sporting history:

-St. Louis 1891 (1891 being the year that St. Louis' first organized soccer league was founded)
    -St. Louis Olympic or Olympique St. Louis (Given the city's French Heritage and the fact that it hosted the 1904 Olympic games - and also nods to the french teams who have the "olympique" name - marseille and lyon among several others).

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

what about Gateway SC as a name?

23. anonymous guy

anonymous guy Member

Mar 19, 2007

I like the olympic idea, and it sounds European, which is obviously how the MLS wants the names. But what about just Olympic St. Louis. This could be an intersting debate.

24. bgeldy

bgeldy New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm new to the forum and I was wondering where you guys got the templates for the jerseys that you designed??? If not templates, then how did you do such great work?

25. ironhead

ironhead New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We've discussed this at length in other threads. At this point, I feel that St. Louis United is probably the best name. Essentially, it ties together the city of St. Louis and the larger metro area, where the proposed stadium site is. Jeff Cooper indicated that he is still unsure and has not given it a lot of thought. I think that having two "United's" in MLS is hardly a problem. There are at least 10 teams with United as their moniker in England (Man U, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield Utd, Scunthorpe, Carlisle, Oxford, others). Why should that be a problem for St. Louis, especially when the name fits?