St. Louis - Name and Jersey Ideas Pt. 2

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by Z010 Union, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA2STL

LA2STL New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Does anyone call them "AC Bilbao"? anonymous guy understood that I meant a team specifically called "AC something". So he said AC Sparta. Athletic Club Bilbao is not the same as AC Bilbao. I also don't have a problem with Athletic Club St. Louis. So unless you want to give me another team that has specifically the letters "AC" before their name that stands for Athletic Club, please stop naming teams that are called "Athletic" because you're not adding anything to the debate.

2. taguchisan

taguchisan New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    I agree that American soccer teams that rip off of European teams sound incredibly lame, especially when they are in a different language (real salt lake), but on the other hand the "American-ized" versions aren't the best either (Revolution, Galaxy, Earthquakes, Rapids). I think the best names are the most simple ones (Toronto FC, DC United), let the nickname come to the team not vice-versa.
    Has anyone else noticed that St. Louis Soccer United's crest colors are comprised of a combination between the two biggest St. Louis youth soccer clubs. You've got the blue from St. Louis Soccer Club (Busch), and the green from Scott Gallagher. So maybe the term "united" isn't half bad if it suggests the unification between the two most successful youth clubs to form an MLS team that would represent the city. Then it wouldn't be just a lame imitation of a popular European team, it would be an accurate description of the team. Of course I'm making this connection only based on colors, but if that was a route the ownership wanted to take to justify the name St. Louis United/St. Louis Soccer United I would be onboard...

3. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    You are now officially talking in circles. Congratulations. You're trying to make the distinction that AC <whatever> is somehow different than if a club actually wrote out the words Athletic Club. It isn't. In each case, aside from the examples in Italian, the club's official name is "Athletic Club <city>," regardless of whether people prefer to say "AC" or "Athletic Club." So even if St. Louis chose to name a team "Athletic Club of St. Louis" it would be shortened to "AC St Louis."

And yes, having lived there, I can tell you that they are referred to as AC Bilbao.

All I'm adding to the debate, at this point, is proving you wrong, yet again.

4. Tkebh979

Tkebh979 New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Houston-ish
    (thick layer of sarcasm)

As a Catholic, I'm offended by your suggestion of calling the team the Rangers.

(thick layer of sarcasm)

Since we're talking French influence here and there, have we looked into a white/gold jersey makeup based on the colors of the fleur-de-lis flag? I like the idea of white/green/gold, not that the other kits shown were sub par.

5. WestHamUtdFC

WestHamUtdFC Member

Aug 15, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Re: St Louis United?

i dont mind st louis united but i always thought saint louis football club had a good ring to it.....saint louis fc..... i know we are in america and its soccer and we like to be cheesy and different.... but i dont want to be something ridiculous like the saint louis red bulls or saint louis wizards..... i think more classic is the way to go, i did like olympique* kinda... i do love the logo for the supporters club and team crest though.....but i cant wait for the team

6. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure it's been mentioned about 100 times, but I really like Olympic/que St. Louis.

Hosting the olympics were a memorable part of St. Louis' history and it's a cool euro-ish name.

I don't really think the spelling matters, but using the French spelling and then butchering the name would fit in with the city name itself (and most american cities of french appellation). ;)

All that being said, I'm not from STL, have never been there, and think United is fine if you want it. You'll just be the other United. :D

7. Basque21

Basque21 New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Club:
    CA Osasuna

I would love it if we were named St. Louis olympique, but wasting the St. Louis United crest would be shameful.

8. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

I like that StL is moving higher on the pecking order. I like green or two-tone green as the color scheme. The above logo needs a tweak. The concept is pretty good. I'd like to see it with a backgroud of something other than black. With black the overall has no contrast so at a glance it takes an effort to pick out what it is supposed to be. Same badge on a green jersey might be something.

Is that the working logo?

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

[​IMG]

I don't know where that version came from..
    The black is not in the official logo.
    Here is the working logo. I took it directly from the website.

[​IMG]

imo it's the best crest in the league

10. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Re: Team's Working name: St Louis United

I had the same idea, but I couldn't really put a name with it. There is the Gateway International Speedway and the Gateway Arch which is what makes the town so famous, so having the word Gateway in the name could be good. St. Louis is called the "Gateway to the West," so I think a logo with the arch in it is a must. There are enough teams called FC and United in the MLS. I would like to see more original names and not a bunch of copycat names from the EPL.

Gateway Names
    St. Louis Westerners
    Gateway FC
    FC Gateway
    St. Louis Explorers

Riverboat Gambling Names
    St. Louis Gamblers (This should be saved for Las Vegas)
    St. Louis High Rollers
    St. Louis Spades (It would be a cool logo)

Others
    St. Louis [insert beer name]
    St. Louis Kings (Saint Louis, the city is named for King Louis IX of France)

Any thoughts? Go ahead and bash me for not agreeing that MLS should steal another EPL name.

11. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I posted this in another thread. I think they need a name that connects to the area and not an EPL name.

Gateway Names
    St. Louis Westerners
    Gateway FC
    FC Gateway
    St. Louis Explorers

Riverboat Gambling Names
    St. Louis Gamblers (This should be saved for Las Vegas)
    St. Louis High Rollers
    St. Louis Spades (It would be a cool logo)

Others
    St. Louis [insert beer name]
    St. Louis Kings (Saint Louis, the city is named for King Louis IX of France)

Any thoughts? Go ahead and bash me for not agreeing that MLS should steal another EPL name.:D

12. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not a good idea. :mad:

13. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999

I agree, but I was just brainsorming and didn't care what I wrote. Most of the names I listed are stupid, or over used.

14. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I agree with you. The rip offs of European and Mexican team names are stupid. I hate it when non-soccer fans ask me who I am watching on tv and then I have to tell them Real Salt Lake. I don't like the idea of calling every team FC either. The MLS names are good. Revolution, Earthquakes, Crew, Fire, and Rapids all have connections to their local areas. DC United isn't bad either since they are located in the capital city of the United States.

15. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    All this talk remains me of the time I went to this guy's party and he kicked me out because I was wearing a Bayern Munich jersey. He said that I had no class or respect for the jewish ppl a the party. (Th guy was jewish). Needless is to say I do not talk to him anymore.

16. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    As a hispanic I am also offended by the name rangers
    e.g. Texas Rangers :rolleyes:

Not Really

17. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Am I the only one who thinks the crest is hideous? It looks like something a 15 year old dungeons and dragons player would create.

18. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes, but spades, in particular, has a racist connotation that I'm sure you didn't intend.

19. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999

What is racist about a spade? I didn't know the word was racist in anyway. Like I said, the ace of spades logo would be cool, but the name isn't that great. A gambling/river boat related name could work though as long as it isn't too stupid.

20. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spade

definition #3. fairly common usage in the redneck areas of St. Louis. Like I said, I'm sure it was unintentional on your part, but it is not a name that could be used.

21. ironhead

ironhead New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you out of your mind? Maybe you're not familiar with the statue of St. Louis that has long been a symbol of the city (well before the Arch was constructed).
    The crest is excellent, and would be the best in the league, IMO.

Here's a pic of the actual statue:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/7/77/Apotheosis-of-saint-louis.jpg

22. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999

Spades was listed under my gambling section, but I see what you mean. Hearing that word over the radio without seeing a card deck logo could cause problems. They could call themselves St. Louis Hearts and still use a card deck logo. You could get the best of both worlds. Local gambling connection and a Scotish team name.

note: Please don't listen to this post because Hearts used in that form is a stupid name.

23. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it's not the badge I hate so much, it's the colors...two tones of green with blue. yuck.

24. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Knights vs. Wizards. Now that is what I call a f-----g awesome rivalry!!

------RM

25. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18 sided dice at 5 paces

2 damage, 2 damage