St. Louis - Name and Jersey Ideas Pt. 2

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by Z010 Union, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Just searched the net. I found most of mine on team sales sites.

2. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Re: Team's Working name: St Louis United

Boo on the St. Louis United. I do like the St. Louis Knights, though.

3. CSMAC

CSMAC New Member

Oct 19, 2006

How about a new poll to vote on a team name now that we're on the doorstep here? If JC took the crest idea from here, why not give him some names to consider too?

Put me down for Olympic. Even though the ABA used "Spirits" 30 years ago in STL, I think it could be an appropriate team name as well.

Brainstorming: Olympic, Spirits, Knights, United, FC STL, 1904, Warlocks.

If my computer skills had ever risen above Atari & Pong from the early 80's, I would post the poll myself. Hence, I will wait for the Sport Billy's & KeepersDad's of this group to lead the way.

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I think MLS teams need to have more soccer type names without being so blatant like RSL. St Louis United, Gateway SC, Gateway City SC

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes:

6. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Just when i was going to post some domain sluething i found regarding philly (not involving the philadelphiaindependencefc.com domain) i the philly forum

oh well.

7. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm totally busting your ovaries.

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

pay bryan no mind ... hook. us. up. :D

9. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis

Before we get into another full-fledged name debate, PLEASE read some of our first two threads on this. We covered tons of angles. If, after that you would like to join the fracas, please do.

After the meeting last night, I would have to say that the name really is up in the air. Although Cooper could have been just dodging the question, but that doesn't seem like his style.

10. KC outlaws

KC outlaws New Member

Sep 5, 2006
    O-Town

Just stumbled upon the St. Louis Soccer United site today. All the concepts for the stadium, crest, everything is very professional. St. Louis United isn't bad with a "Saints" nickname. I hope everything goes through for you guys and you get a team out on the pitch before 2010. I'm ready for an I-70 rivalry. GO WIZARDS!

11. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm also new here. I'm not sure I like "United", but I don't care as long as we get a team. I do like the "Saints" nickname though.

12. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You finally get a chance to break news, instead of reporting it like you are breaking it when it has been in the papers for 36 hours, and you are going to pass on it because of me breaking your ovaries?

Pfft.

13. LA2STL

LA2STL New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Louis IX was an anti-semite who caused tons of pain and suffering to the Jewish communities of France. So while you're right that we can't change the fact that our city was named after him, we can ignore that fact when considering a name, crest and uniform for our MLS team. Somehow, the cards, rams and blues have managed to survive without incorporating any crosses or images of Louis into their schemes. Jews don't view crosses as intrinsically offensive. However, a cross in association with Louis IX is a symbol which represents anti-semitism. While Louis or a cross may seem like an appropriate image to incorporate, to some they are extremely offensive symbols. Why not stick with images of the Arch and fleur-de-lis which are offensive to none?

According to wikipedia, AC doesn't stand for "Athletic Club"; it stands for "Associazione Calcio", which is Italian for "Football Association". If that is the case, it doesn't make sense for the team to be called AC St. Louis, cuz we don't speak Italian. That would just be the dumbest thing ever. If you want a European-style name, I like STL Gateway(sort of like PSV Eindhoven). If you like American-style names, I say we go with Stars or Steamers.

On a side note, I'm really not a fan of round crests. shield-shaped crests are much more attractive to me. But I like that Arch-capped crest that was posted on sportslogos.net forums.

And that's my two cents. But seriously, the anti-semitism issue is worth more than that.

14. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I know for AC Milan it's in Italian, but since we speak English it could stand for Athlectic Club.

And, I don't think we need to worry about a crest anymore. I think SLSU nailed it.

In fact, can we get a new round of jersey designs with green and silver?

15. LA2STL

LA2STL New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Yeah, AC could stand for "Athletic Club", but basically everyone will think that it stands for Associazione Calcio, and then they will laugh at us because our team is called Associazione Calcio St. Louis. Also, why would you call a football club an "Athletic Club"?

Yeah, SLSU nailed it, except for the extremely offensive anti-semitic depiction of Louis IX holding up a cross.

16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Please we have been over this time and again. It is a sceptre not a cross. The fleur-de-lis has often been used to represent the Trinity.

These are not religious symbols they are our city - move on.

First - it stands for Atheletic Club if the team says it does.
    Second - Have you ever heard of Athletic Club Bilbao? or for that matter, A.F.C. Bournemouth, Sunderland A.F.C, or A.F.C. Wimbledon - which are all Athletic Football Clubs

Get a clue and stop trying to stir sh*t.

17. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't we change the name of the city? The truth of the matter is that nearly any name will likely offend someone. I find the St. Louis Stars offensive in the fact that it brings up racial segregation.

18. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like it's a picture of Innocent IV standing next to Louis burning the Talmud. It's a guy on a horse holding a sword.

19. LA2STL

LA2STL New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    My point is not that football teams are not called "Athletic Club". My point is that the designation of an athletic club is an institution which fields many teams and has departments in several sports working under the same umbrella organization. An MLS franchise is not that. It only fields a football team, so it's a football club.
    If you still want the St. Louis franchise to be "Athletic", fine. But don't call them AC St. Louis. There's a reason they're called AFC Wimbledon and not AC Wimbledon. It's cuz the club's not in Italy. The team could even be called AFC St. Louis or St. Louis AC; just not AC St. Louis. I would be embarrased not just for St. Louis, but for MLS as a whole.

20. LA2STL

LA2STL New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    It would be fine if he was just holding a sword by a handle. But he's not. it's upside down depicting a cross. Louis IX holding a cross is an image which evokes anti-semitism. You might as well have a crest depicting Louis torching a cartload of Talmud manuscripts.

21. LA2STL

LA2STL New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Really? Any name?

22. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So you're saying

cross by itself = Okay
    Saint Louis IX by himself = okay
    mix the two together and you get a swastika?

Would it be okay if he was say swinging the sword like he was hacking someone up? Why don't you form a petition to have the statue removed and the name of the city changed. You might have a better chance of that than convincing all of us that we're closet anti-semites.

23. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably 999 out of a thousand.

24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'm not a fan of AC, but you don't have a clue.

You do know that Cooper will also have a womens team.
    His partner has a baseball team
    and they often host horse racing.

Does that qualify as an Athletic Club?

25. LA2STL

LA2STL New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    If you had read my original post, u would have seen that i explained that the cross is not viewed by jews as being an intrinsically anti-semitic symbol. And an image of Louis IX is not that big a deal. When you combine the two together it envokes anti-semitism because his anti-semitic sentiments and actions were a result of his desire for the supremacy of christianity. That's why the two symbols, when connected, can be offensive.
    Also, in no way am I saying the people in this forum are closet anti-semites. I just think it would be insensitive to combine those symbols in the logo scheme of an MLS franchise.