St Louis Branding (3.0)

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by Z010 Union, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jfranz

jfranz New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
    You mean like:
    Cincinnati Reds (historical roots are "Red Stockings")
    Boston Red Sox
    Chicago White Sox
    St. Louis Brown Stockings (ok, so that was over 100 years ago, nevermind; the point is made)

I'm not casting a vote for or against the name, but I really don't think that having two "United"s in the league will be that uncomfortable for sports fans.

2. only1united

only1united New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Soulard

3. sirfallsalot_2000

Apr 18, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    alas, my ignorance exposed again. Although, I could go for a dessert nickname. St. Louis Key Limes? German Chocolate Cake? Damn I'm hungry......

4. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crest that StL Soccer United have released is the best crest in the MLS, and there's not even a team to wear it yet. There is no reason not to use it exactly as it is. If you don't like it, where were you 6 months ago when the "what should our crest/colors look like argument" was going on these boards?

The name "United" is looking like a more intelligent possibility if you read the "youth program" thread and see the way they are going to unite the youth clubs in the area as well. I'm okay with the name as long as (like someone mentioned) you get the unofficial nickname out there from the start (Knights or whatever it may be).

5. sharmon

sharmon New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    So IL
    Agreed. Crest is a must use. United makes sense first because of the idea of bridging the MO/IL sides of the river, and even more sense in light of the youth programs uniting. DC might already have it in their name, but I don't really mind the duplicate name ending (obviously wouldn't be the first or only duplicates: Manchester and West Ham).

AC has also been mentioned. I'm not especially fond of this, but might be seen in the light of the Italian immigrants from the Hill that played a major roll in the England upset during the World Cup. It's a bit of a stretch though.

I'm hoping for a simple name with a fan generated nickname. With the way Cooper has been handling everything else though, I feel secure in knowing that whatever the end result, it will be great.

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a better idea: St. Louis City FC.

Doesn't that sound great? I like it a hell of a lot better than United; plus it would be the first in the MLS.

What do you guys think? I'm serious, I think it's the best option.

7. KeeperDad30

KeeperDad30 Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that would be great if the stadium was in St. Louis City, but since it will be in Collinsville, the name should be more inclusive of the entire St. Louis region. The teams in England use "City" as a name because they often have more than one team in town and needed a way to differentiate them.:)

8. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, St. Louis City has a definite geographical connotation. Only about 13% of "St. Louisans" live in "St. Louis City." I personally live in South County.

St. Louis City just wouldn't make any sense, maybe "Greater St. Louis Metro Area" if you want to specify a region in the name.

Of course, that name would suck.

9. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought City was used as a designation reserved for a crown city.

10. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll save that name for our second MLS team. Down with the Collinsville Red Bulls! SSS in St. Louis City now! ;)

11. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the team are still going to be called a St. Louis team... I viewed the term City (ie Hull City, Manchester City, Cardiff City, etc.) as just another type of suffix.

Regardless of its geographical questionableness, I'd certainly still like it a hell of a lot better than St. Louis United. I'd almost rather have a team like the St. Louis Arches than that... Almost. ;)

12. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    City is a pretty silly affectation in most cases (although I certainly would have approved of Kansas City City). Calling a team Saint Louis Metro makes much more sense, as long as you don't get confused and end up at the train station.

Why only British or Western European naming conventions? Why not copy the Swazi League, and name the team Eleven Men In Flight?

13. WestHamUtdFC

WestHamUtdFC Member

Aug 15, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    although i like united..... we could be the first in mls and be St. Louis SC (soccer club of course)......i think st. louis soccer club is very smooth.....actually while im writing this isnt busch that now? hmmm maybe nevermind

14. jfranz

jfranz New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Yes, Busch is now St. Louis SC...

...but they just announced that they would be joining with St. Louis Soccer United as part of their youth system.

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    KeeperDad's design using current St. Louis Soccer United colors and crest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. methodic

methodic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Rockwall, TX.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis and MLS should move away from ethnic and Euro pandering. How about a movement back towards American sports names.

1. St. Louis Tornadoes
    2. St. Louis Bootleggers

17. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree; I find those names stupid. Wizards? Metrostars? Mutiny? I can't stand them all. I'd rather we not have a pet name, and be called something english-sounding (preferably not united, but better that than a pet name for me), and just have an unofficial nickname.

As far as City is concerned, it may be illogical; my only point was that I thought it was better and more original (at least in the states) than United.

18. Basque21

Basque21 New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Club:
    CA Osasuna
    This is a name I always liked it was the Cardinals name before they were the Cardinals the St. Louis Perfectos just throwing it out

19. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could try something revolving around St. Louis' place in aviation history. We had a ABA team named the Spirits, but McDonnell-Douglas made a fighter named the Phantom. Do either one of these strike anyone's fancy. One goofball idea: Flying Knights. Louis hanging out of a bi-plane swinging a sword.

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I know it's a Nike shirt, but we could also go along the lines of the Celtic Third Kit.

[​IMG]

21. Basque21

Basque21 New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Club:
    CA Osasuna
    St Louis Celtics

22. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say, I like the kits with collars. Reminds me of my playing days I guess.

23. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    A few more borrowed jerseys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. SimonAllen

SimonAllen New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    L.A.
    I agree with Methodic
    A good American name... European sounding names are ridiculous...I proud to support an American soccer team playing in America... I dont need a Euro-name to legitimize it to anyone...United??? Im not sure how that would be marketed...
    Tornandos, Gamblers, Lions etc etc... are all good names... Take a look at Japan and its J League... the team names reflect the culture..where as (and this is debatable) Their baseball teams with their American nicknames sounds... silly....

Simon Allen
    World Soccer Wrap

25. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    If the current crest is used, it might be odd to have an unrelated American style name like the Tornadoes or the Falcons. The best would probably be to just call the team Saint Louis, but I guess it's too plain feel they must stick on an FC or a United that doesn't really belong.

One could be continental and name the team the Saint Louis Chevaliers. Or maybe Chevaliers is a better name for a supporters group that could sing Thank Heaven for Little Girls. The Saint Louis Legion would recall something similar, although I don't like the way it sounds much.

While I like a nod to the city's 1904 history, I think Olympique Saint Louis is pretty bad. But no reason to think about Saint Louis Olympic, the Saint Louis Olympics (might get sued), or the Saint Louis Olympians.

Too bad Rogers Hornsby was such an all-around piece of crap, because the Rajahs would not be bad.