St. John's [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Frank Cunha, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    The new Soccer stadium I believe it came after the NCAA Championship
    Any ex John's players in the MLS? I know the goalkeeper Reis went there, but then he transfer to UCLA after the championship season

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Not quite.

Dan Popik, who replaced Matt Reis as the LA Galaxy's backup 'keeper, went to St. John's. Popik spent his freshman year at North Carolina (1997) then transfered to St. John's, where he played two seasons before going pro. He played with Milwaukee in the A-League for three seasons before hooking up with the Galaxy for 2003.

Matt Reis spent his entire college career at UCLA and won an NCAA title as a redshirt senior in 1997 (when Popik was a frosh at UNC).

As for ex-St. John's players in MLS, Shalrie Joseph of the Revs - where he is now a teammate of Reis! - is the most prominent one and Jeff Matteo of the Crew is also a former Red Stormer.

Surprsingly, no one from the NCAA championship team in 1996 ever had much impact in MLS. Jesse van Saun had a cup of coffee with the Revs but that was it.

Wojtek Krakowiak, who was a freshmen on the NCAA title team, had a couple of seasons in MLS, but after his first year of college he transfered to Clemson, where he played two seasons before going pro.

Stefani Miglioranzi has played for several years in the English first and second divisions.

3. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never played on the team -- I stopped playing soccer for a while after injuring my hip and switched to basketball (and I never played for SJU in that either)

I transfered in in 1987 and graduated in 1989. I hated that truf. I was in ROTC for a while and used to toss a lacrosse ball around with one of the instructors -- I would be sore for hours afterward.

4. To clear up a few things on here...

The Football was axed after the 2002 season. The previous lacrosse team was axed a LONG time ago. St Johns is starting a new Men's lacrosse program for DaSilva Field which i believe beings play in the fall of 2004. Other programs that were discontinued are Mens Track (I think done now) and Mens and Womens swimming (after fall 2004). The university has plans to upgrade Alumni Hall (athletic building) to meet the needs of more large meeting rooms on campus. So look for a bunch of construction there and also between Belson and the Baseball field there will be a support building with restrooms, a pressbox, and a luxury box for VIPs.

DaSilva Field (old football stadium) is still used for HS sports, intermurals, and such.

That picture of the "Red Army". That was from the opening game at Belson Sept 21, 2002. Since then the hardcore student following has dwindled slightly. It was much louder behind the visitors goal in 02 than in 03. Frank, I can guarantee you plenty of the guys in that picture were out of it, including me. haha.

Belsons official capacity is 2200 but id say only about 1200 come out for games. The cold outside hurts attendance some but that should be expected. Im kind of surprised there hasnt been a Big East Tournament held at Belson yet. By far the nicest facility on campus

5. I play flag football on the turf now and while it does suck, I must say Ive been on much worse astroturf in my life

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

I'm a newbie to St. Johns football.... where's the best place to park for free, get tickets, and where is the good terrace where the hardcores are?
    and how much $?

thanx.

7. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    The disallowed goal by UCSB at the end of the first half was a great example of why college soccer should change their system of keeping time to the way its done in real soccer.

8. Theres a big commuter student lot right at the corner of Utopia and Union on campus, fenced in, right next to the field. The students sit behind the goals in the bleachers.

9. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    You can either park next to the stadium, right off Union Tpke entrance or directly undernesth the stadium, where I park..Its not as windy below the stadium, thats where we usually tailgate before all games, we should be there around 6:30 pm...tix cost $8 for premiun seating and $6 gets you a seat behind the goals, where all the students are...

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    How much does it cost to park in the lot under the stadium? Are tickets sold day of game and where is that located? I live 7 minutes from St. Johns but yet I haven't been there before. I'd definately want to stand behind the goal up in the terrace. Is there any other info I would need to know about?

I'd probably wear my 2002/2003 Bayern Munchen home jersey to the game..

11. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Parking is free...enter on Union Tpke..that is the easiest...You can pick up tickets at the box office, right next to the stadium entrance....I would get there a little earlier since it is the quarterfinals, and I expect it to be near a sellout, depending on how cold it is..I hear we might have some snow in the forecast for Friday..other than that, nothing else is needed...

P.S. I am a big Bayern fan also...they arent doing all that well this year...

12. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Is there a good bar close to the field for a pre-game drink or two?

13. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    yes..the Sly Fox Inn..across the way on Union Tpke about a block away...within walking distance...

14. soccerwriter

soccerwriter New Member

Jul 2, 2000
    new york
    a good eatery is acquista's trattoria (right next to sly fox). owned by the family of former red storm star and current st francis college coach carlo acquista.

and you can add brent sancho to the list of former sju players in the pros--hes on dundee in the scottish league.

stefani miglioranzi is currently a starting midfielder for swindon of the english second division.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Thanx for the info mate! I hope to bring 2 or 3 blokes with me. Once again thanx for all the info!
    Watching football in the snow ehh? Could be my first crack at classic Euro footy :)

16. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Weather a factor??

Tomorrow and Saturday could be messy as far as the weather goes...SJU-Creighton and Maryland -St Louis matches could be affected tremendously as far as quality of play...Is there a possibility of either one or both of these matches being postponed if it gets to sloppy and out of hand? Just wondering?

http://1010wins.com/weather/

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    with snow will be like a Hockey game, without skates
    hope the crowd shows up, will be a lot fun

18. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Weather a factor??

UMD will have their field covered prior to the storm but if the weather continues through the game, as it is forecasted to do, it will still be a mess. Bad weather tends to equal teams out a bit which would be bad news for UMD.
    I don't know how much latitude individual schools have over rescheduling games but Sunday should clear and 45 which is much more soccer friendly weather. Knowing the anal NCAA they probably dictate the dates of play. Again does anyone know?

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I hope the game goes ahead as planned... When would they announce a postponement of the game? Which bleacher should I ask for? North or South? Must be near the Red army :)

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Sunday is the best day of the weekend,
    it looks like the snow will stop Saturday midday

21. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    bleachers...red army..

red army sits behind opposing teams goal, and then usually switches to other side of filed for second half...i dont see it being close to a sellout tonight with the way the weather is supposed to be...

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    any radio or matchtrack coverage

23. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    SNOW

Well it has just started snowing in the NY-NJ area and it is coming down hard!!!!!

24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    don't look good, any chance they going to pospone the game?