St. John's [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Frank Cunha, Sep 10, 2003.

1. NJGUY

NJGUY New Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Wow! 4 aunansered goals by seton Hall. SJU has given up as many goals as they did all last year. Bummer for SJU but a huge win for Seton Hall.

2. FAN0011

FAN0011 New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Region1
    St. John's looked tired and confused the second half...and gave up 3 goals. I did get to see the leading FOTY candidate in the Big East and it wasn't Kozicki. #9 Klesbian on SHU put in a PK and picked up 2 assists. I don't think Kozicki got a shot on goal.

3. FAN0011

FAN0011 New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Region1
    SHU has only one loss this year at the hands of nationally ranked Akron. They have beaten Virginia and tied UCONN. They are unbeaten in the Big East. According to the program, the team started 4 freshmen and only 2 seniors - a young team. This win should move them up in the rankings.

St. John's will bounce back. They still lead the Big East.

4. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well I left work yesterday and the score was 2 nil St Johns...I come into work this morning and I find out the final is SHU 4 SJU 2??? Somebody please explain??? A disgruntled Redstorm fan....

5. NJGUY

NJGUY New Member

Sep 23, 2002
    SOUTH ORANGE, NJ – Seton Hall scored four unanswered goals, including two by sophomore Michael Zotti (Scotch Plains, NJ/Scotch Plains-Fanwood), to upset fifth-ranked St. John’s on Wednesday at Owen T. Carroll Field. The Pirates, ranked 17th in the latest NSCAA/adidas poll, also got a goal and two assists from freshman Sacha Kljestan (Huntington Beach, CA/Huntington Beach) to key the victory.

After falling behind 2-1 in the first half, the Pirates mounted a furious comeback that resulted in three second-half goals. Seton Hall drew even with St. John’s at 53:12 when Kljestan sent a free kick into the box that senior Steve Stoute (Arouca, Trinidad/Fatima College) headed in for his first career goal.

The game-winning goal came on a bizarre play that Zotti put away for his first goal of the year. A St. John’s defender attempted to send the ball back to Red Storm goalkeeper Guy Hertz, who had it slip under his feet as he went to clear it. Zotti picked up the loose ball and put it into the empty net at 79:48.

St. John’s had a chance to tie in the 87th minute when Sebastian Alvarado-Ralph had a shot in front of the goal from close range that was cleared away by sophomore Tom Dziamba (Whippany, NJ/Whippany Park). Seton Hall’s final goal came in the last minute when Kljestan set up Zotti after making a long-run and passing to the sophomore who had an open net when the keeper came off his line.

The Pirates fell behind 2-0 in the first half despite controlling much of the tempo. The Red Storm scored first on a throw-in when Chris Corcoran got the ball in the box and flicked it to Matt Groenwald, who put it in from five yards out at 26:36. St. John’s stretched its lead on a header by Simone Salinno a little over a minute later that was set up by Chris Wingert, who sent the ball into the box on a free kick. Seton Hall was able to cut the lead to 2-1 on a penalty kick by Kljestan after he was dragged down in the box on a long run.

Sophomore Boris Pardo (Hillside, NJ/Bayley-Ellard) made two saves in net for the Pirates, while Hertz made one for the Red Storm. The four goals surrendered by St. John’s is the most since a 4-2 loss to Florida International on Oct. 2, 1994.

The Pirates return to action on Saturday, Sept. 27, when they face Providence in a 1:00 p.m. game at Glay Field in Providence, RI.

6. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    what's up?

What's up with St John's defense? They were among the best in the country last year and now the GK (Gaudette) shares time and does anyone know where Chris Wingert is playing? I know he plays some MF but it looks the the defense could us his help if he's not already back there. They have given up 10 goals which about what they surrender all of last year. On the positive side it appears they can score a few now.

7. Furmanfootball

Furmanfootball New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    greenville
    Guyz i think a lot about st johns this year is overrated. Chris is a solid player but i dont know about being an all america and playing for the u-23 thats beyond me. Also the current st johns ranking is bull. They dont have quality wins and have lost against strong opposition like unc and wake. I dont think with a record like 9-3-1 they deserve to be in 6th place. I just think their conference this year is pretty weak. And the player who has looked dangerous and not getting enough credit is the little italian forward. No mention of him anyway, no national honors or something. I think they should cut him some slack and give him credit coz he seems to be scoring at will. Just a thought?????

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Going on the road and beating Notre Dame isn't a quality win? Isn't Rutgers a good team?

Two of their three losses were on the road to Top Ten teams. Since then, they've only lost once and that was to a good, if inconsistent, Seton Hall team.

I do agree that Simone Salino, the "little Italian" as you so gracefully described him, isn't getting enough credit for scoring 10 goals and an assist.

Perhaps it would help if St. John's actually managed to have his bio on their site. He and third-leading scorer Sebastian Alvarado Ralph don't have their bios listed on the Storm's website.

Nice going, St. John's SID!

9. Furmanfootball

Furmanfootball New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    greenville
    Sandon here is the problem though. I dont think either Rutgers or ND for that matter are top ten teams. So this doesnt warrant st johns to be no 6 coz of what you call 'quality wins'. Rutgers i agree is a very good young side but beating them isnt enough for any team to be in the top ten, especially after losing to two top ten teams unc-3 and wake-8, just doesnt add up. The loss to SH definitely doesnt help your case to be a top ten team. Well at least we agree that simone does deserve that credit he isnt getting. Thanks

10. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Overrated???

Hey Furman, where have you been hiding the last few years?? SJU definitely waraants a top 10 ranking..As Sandon mentioned they have beaten quality teams in Notre dame and Rutgers, and last night in UCONN, although the Huskies are a disappointment this year, its always a closely contested battle...They are solid from front to back, although not flashy, but Masur has them always playing smart and constructive ball. Come tourney time I believe you will see that they are indeed top 10 material... Just my thoughts, since I am a former SJU grad and player and I have attended all home games for the past decade...

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Redstorm, I wonder if you'd mind chiming in on this Wingert debate since you've seen him play a lot.

Some here think he's overrated but he was named been the best defender in the Big East so obviously it's not just Masur and Mooch who like him.

Can you compare him to other Big East players you've seen who have - or haven't - made it in MLS and say if you think he'll be a good player at the next level.

For the record, I'm in the pro-Wingert camp because pro coaches love players who don't make mistakes and who are smart and versatile and Wingert fits the bill there.

He may not play much next year but once MLS expands to a 12-team league and 48 new jobs are created, I see Wingert being a regular starter. Maybe not a star but a consistent starter at the level of an Eric Denton, Jay Heaps or Brandon Prideaux.

12. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yes Sandon...From what I've seen of him he's as solid and efficient as they come. He is calm, collective and aware at all times. He rarely makes mistakes and always seems to be in the right position when defending, (I've never seen him get beat flat-out one on one) always seems to win the 50-50 balls. He knows how to distribute the ball and it seems all his passes are very precise and always on the money. He is a true defender (sweeper). I do believe he lacks on the offensive side in that he rarely makes offensive runs into open space. Exactly as you said he will be consistent , smart, and not make mistakes. Wingert and Spanos anchor the SJU backline, sort of like a combo-sweeper unit. Very solid. He wont be a star but a very solid pro, I believe.

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    St. John's reach the final of the Big East Tournament with a win over Rutgers in the semi-finals

MSG to televise live the final of the Big East Tournament, Sunday at noon

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I just watch the game on tape, I couldn't believe they schedule a final on a neutral site, played on a empty stadium
    final score
    Notre Dame -2-St. John's-0

Notre Dame Big East Champions for the second time, first time was in 96

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Advertisement

San Francisco-Nob Hill, CA
    Built in 1896, this home features 18 rooms, 4 baths and 4 fireplaces.

Search for more San Francisco homes for sale on realestate.nytimes.com.

Red Storm Rolls Into Quarters
    By MELISSA GESCHWIND

Published: December 1, 2003

ARTICLE TOOLS

E-Mail This Article
    Printer-Friendly Format
    Most E-Mailed Articles
    Reprints & Permissions

TIMES NEWS TRACKER

Topics
    Alerts

St John's University

Soccer

College Athletics

he St. John's junior Ryan Kelly scored only 4 goals in the first 22 games of the season, but yesterday he was scoring right and left.

Kelly scored two goals, including the game-winner in double overtime, as the Red Storm beat visiting Cal-Santa Barbara, 3-2, to advance to the quarterfinals of the N.C.A.A. Division I men's tournament. St. John's will play its quarterfinal match at home against Creighton on Friday night. Creighton eliminated St. John's in overtime last year in a Round of 16 match at Belson Stadium.

In a game marred by injury and controversy, Kelly's mirror-image goals were the highlights.

The first was in the 40th minute, when Kelly took a cross from Chris Leidner and beat Gauchos goalie Dan Kennedy low to the right side from about 9 yards out. On the game-winner, 5 minutes 58 seconds into the second overtime, Kelly took a cross from Brian Morris and beat Kennedy low to the left side from about 12 yards out.

"You go out every game and try to do the same things," Kelly said. "I just got two great goals. They were both good passes to me and I did well to get us two goals."

The first half ended in confusion when a goal by Santa Barbara's Matt Kubota was disallowed; the officials said it had been scored after time expired even though the scoreboard clock, which displays the official time, showed that 28 seconds remained.

With 1 second on the clock and the Gauchos about to take a corner kick, the referee, Alex Ivahnenko, ordered the time reset to three seconds. The timekeeper, Burt Shoobs, made it 30 seconds by mistake, and the referee blew the whistle to start play before the error could be rectified.

Play began, and a few seconds elapsed before the clock — still set to 30 seconds — started. When Kubota put the ball past St. John's goalkeeper Bill Gaudette, the ruling on the field was that time had expired.

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    The St. John's junior Ryan Kelly scored only 4 goals in the first 22 games of the season, but yesterday he was scoring right and left.

Kelly scored two goals, including the game-winner in double overtime, as the Red Storm beat visiting Cal-Santa Barbara, 3-2, to advance to the quarterfinals of the N.C.A.A. Division I men's tournament. St. John's will play its quarterfinal match at home against Creighton on Friday night. Creighton eliminated St. John's in overtime last year in a Round of 16 match at Belson Stadium.

In a game marred by injury and controversy, Kelly's mirror-image goals were the highlights.

The first was in the 40th minute, when Kelly took a cross from Chris Leidner and beat Gauchos goalie Dan Kennedy low to the right side from about 9 yards out. On

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    The St. John's junior Ryan Kelly scored only 4 goals in the first 22 games of the season, but yesterday he was scoring right and left.

The first was in the 40th minute, when Kelly took a cross from Chris Leidner and beat Gauchos goalie Dan Kennedy low to the right side from about 9 yards out. On the game-winner, 5 minutes 58 seconds into the second overtime, Kelly took a cross from Brian Morris and beat Kennedy low to the left side from about 12 yards out.

"You go out every game and try to do the same things," Kelly said. "I just got two great goals. They were both good passes to me and I did well to get us two goals."

The first half ended in confusion when a goal by Santa Barbara's Matt Kubota was disallowed; the officials said it had been scored after time expired even though the scoreboard clock, which displays the official time, showed that 28 seconds remained.

With 1 second on the clock and the Gauchos about to take a corner kick, the referee, Alex Ivahnenko, ordered the time reset to three seconds. The timekeeper, Burt Shoobs, made it 30 seconds by mistake, and the referee blew the whistle to start play before the error could be rectified.

Play began, and a few seconds elapsed before the clock — still set to 30 seconds — started. When Kubota put the ball past St. John's goalkeeper Bill Gaudette, the ruling on the field was that time had expired.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Anyone planning on going to Belson stadium this Friday night for the Elite 8 game?

I think I might be there :)

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    You my see your friend Mike from WFAN, he his a St.John's fan

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    what's the capacity of the stadium?
    I here its on top of the school garage

21. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  22. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I will be @ the game Friday Night. 7:30 PM start time!! We will have a crew of about 20 or more of us...All former SJU soccer alumni. Should be a great game, looking to avenge last years loss to Creighton...Hopefully Matia Damiani will be able to play...He is a stabilizing force in the midfiled...Right now he is listed as questionable and will probably be a game-time decision. Check out the link below:

http://www.nydailynews.com/12-02-2003/sports/story/141816p-125694c.html

Hope to see a sellout Friday night...C ya all there!!
    Go SJU!!!

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  24. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WE ARE ST JOHNS!

When I went there, the soccer team played on that awful turf field. I stopped by when they were building the new stadium -- glad to see they solved the soccer and parking problems in one swoop!

Now that football and lacrosse are axed, what are the plans for the old football stadium?

25. Redstorm

Redstorm New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Anthony, what year were you on the team? I went there mid 80's and my brother went there in the early 90's...That turf on the footbal field is terrible...hard as a rock!!!